Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brembo front 6 pot upgrade. All new parts for under £1k ?

Beetlebert996 said:
Beetlebert996 said:
IMI A said:
Beetlebert996 said:
Hi IMI A,

Are you Brembos Calipers 19Z's ? Its usually in standing out letters 19ZR or 19ZL on the caliper somewhere .

Thanks
Bert

Will have a look for you. This is the full set

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=

Thanks that would be appreciated

Just realised the Calipers are not 19Z's but the newer generation monobloc M 6 Pistons Cast Monobloc. designed to be very rigid due to the monobloc design

Good to know they're a real improvement. Should have really been one of the first mods as soon as I decided to take to top speed events.

IMI A said:
Beetlebert996 said:
Beetlebert996 said:
IMI A said:
Beetlebert996 said:
Hi IMI A,

Are you Brembos Calipers 19Z's ? Its usually in standing out letters 19ZR or 19ZL on the caliper somewhere .

Thanks
Bert

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=

Just realised the Calipers are not 19Z's but the newer generation monobloc M 6 Pistons Cast Monobloc. designed to be very rigid due to the monobloc design

Good to know they're a real improvement. Should have really been one of the first mods as soon as I decided to take to top speed events.

IMIA am I right to assume to change the brake pads your caliper has to be removed from the strut ?

You'd have to ask Sid at Porsche Torque but I very much doubt it. Looks like its a simple replace while in situ but no experience with these. They're specific for a 997 turbo not custom made to fit or anything. Little more noisy than OEM when cold but once warm the extra stopping power is noticeable especially on track. For road use I really wouldn't bother the 350mm set up on 997 turbo excellent some of the best steel brakes out there.

Beetlebert996 said:
IMI A said:
Beetlebert996 said:
Beetlebert996 said:
IMI A said:
Beetlebert996 said:
Hi IMI A,

Thanks
Bert

IMIA am I right to assume to change the brake pads your caliper has to be removed from the strut ?

No. The large single bolt/pin removal allows for pads to be replaced with calipers still in place.

The GT3 & GT4 rear calipers need to be removed to changed pads.

Just booked a track day at Goodwood in early December.

I'm going to try and get the brackets machined ASAP. If possible, I'd like to upgrade before hand.

But if I don't, I can track the car (first time for this 997) on the original brakes so I can get a real feel of the upgrade.

I also plan to change the oil this weekend. And look at retro fitting my 996 dipstick.

Might order a pair of engine mounts whilst it's off the road.

So. I managed to get some laps around Goodwood last week. First time in the 997. So didn't go mad. Original brakes were ok. Actually felt better on track than they do on the road. But glad I have driven before the upgrade.

I have another Goodwood day booked next week. 😳

So pressure is on to machine my brackets.

All pipes, braided hoses, bolts & sensors are here. Just need brackets.

I made a practice bracket in aluminium yesterday.

I needed to make a practice bracket so I could measure the offset required to centralise the caliper.

Caliper bolt spacing needed tweaking from 195mm centres to 196mm. And I needed a 3mm offset.

Today I made a further aluminium bracket with the new dimensions.

Fitted perfectly. Yay!!!!

Tomorrow I'll start to machine them in hi-tensile steel. A little slower with lots of lube. 🤔💦💦💦😳

After I was happy with the aluminium prototype #2 I started to square up & machine the relief in the EN24T steel.

EN24T makes lovely swarf.

Quick trial fit on the car went ok.

More updates.

Getting organised at home.

So. After an hour adapting the new Porsche sensors to fit the Alfa pads, it was time to get started.

New pipes & brackets ready to fit.

Straight away I was into the challenge of Porsche rust. Just bonkers why they use mild steel every where. All the bolts that were removed I replaced with Stainless.

Tidied up loads of rusty parts whilst I was in there. Will under seal once all assembled.

Brackets on the car for the first time and torqued to 70 lb ft.

Caliper is now on. I'll photograph tomorrow.

Decided to lose the 5mm spacers. Will move them to the rear and remove the 10mm spacers that make the tyres stick out from the arches. (Fitted by previous owner).

Back on its wheels after a bleed.

Road testing tomorrow before Goodwood track test on Thursday.

Temporary decals look. Errrrr. Interesting.

I only had these colour vinyls in stock.

Wheels cleaned and back on tonight.

My calipers would look great on the car. 😂🤣

Great thread - really inspiring to see people making things work....

(Have also just bought my first lathe and milling machine - so am doubly interested in this thread......just need to work out how to use it)

I don't know why you felt the need to put that black stripe on the caliper, looks naff. IMO you should have left them yellow. F*$k what anyone else thinks, it's your car. But apart from that very good job.

Kingb4 said:
Great thread - really inspiring to see people making things work....

(Have also just bought my first lathe and milling machine - so am doubly interested in this thread......just need to work out how to use it)

It's all good fun.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back