Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brembo front 6 pot upgrade. All new parts for under £1k ?

isysman said:
I don't know why you felt the need to put that black stripe on the caliper, looks naff. IMO you should have left them yellow. F*$k what anyone else thinks, it's your car. But apart from that very good job.

I couldn't go to Goodwood with Alfa Romeo branded Brembo front calipers. These decals are temporary.

Update.

Road tested brakes today. Same poor pedal feel. Thought it might need better bleeding so took to my mates garage for a pressure bleed. Some air came out. Brakes better. But pedal still not great. Think master cylinder needs replacing. I will upgrade to GT3 size. Anyone know the part number?

Shame. I was hoping the poor pedal was just due to small brakes.

I'll still go to Goodwood to bed in the discs & settle the calipers but I don't think be able to push. Shame.

Goodwood update.

So. After a nice drive down to GW this morning I did some basic checks before going out on track. All good so I did a few gentle laps on the damp circuit. Brake pedal long and not great. But the level of braking was much higher than grip so I decided it was safe to proceed.

Nice blueish hue to the discs. Really impressed with the performance of the set up.

After a cool down. I did some more laps. And then some more.

At lunch we went off circuit for fuel & food. The pedal didn't feel great on the road. But safe.

After lunch the track was drying. So after checking levels & for signs of caliper movement, we did some more.....aggressive laps. Wow. They brakes were incredible. Even when slowing from 135mph on the back straight, they felt great.

My 27mm GT3 master cylinder arrived today. Typical.
Not sure if the master cylinder will blow my £1000 budget. I'll do an add up.

I'll fit this soon and I look forward to a solid pedal.

Now onto upgrading the rear set up. Don't tell my wife. She thinks I'm just changing the pads. 🤣😂😳

Ok. Copper nickel pipe collected today.

Copper nickel rated to 215 bar.
Plain copper rated to 127 bar.

Enough said!

I have plenty to do some trials with.

I will sort out my garish temporary caliper decals when the wheels are off.

Interesting thread. Thought I'd share my home brew set-up on my 987. I picked up 2 sets of used PFC brake discs from a 991 GT3 Cup car. The fronts are 380x32, rears are 380x30.

For the front I went with Brembo 8 piston calipers as found on various RS Audi's, R8's and the Lamborghini Gallardo.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make use of the rear discs, they were more of a challenge. There was no provision for a handbrake. I'd previously bought some custom made front bells for the front which i'd not used, they were really meaty, not sure why really but they would make a perfect brake drum so my father-in-law machined them down on a lathe.

The calipers are Lotus Evora 400, made by AP Racing.

I've fitted the GT3 master cylinder as in terms of piston area I've got a 20% increase on the front and a 35% increase on the rear. With the ABS switched off the front brakes still lock up first (very easily!!!) but by upgrading the rear more in percentage terms I'd like to think I'm making more use of the available tyre grip. I'm waiting for the weather to improve before I put them through their paces properly. I haven't yet seen what the ABS makes of them. This is how they look behind 19's.

Wow!!! If you brake really hard do you find that the bodyshell falls off and beats you to the corner? 😂😂😂

Finally had a chance to remove the ill fitting Porsche pipe & make a bespoke pipe that meets the braided hoses via the original support.

Opposite side has been made. Need to fit.

Then I'll fit the GT3 master cylinder & bleed.

C11BRA said:
Wow!!! If you brake really hard do you find that the bodyshell falls off and beats you to the corner? 😂😂😂

I'll definitely need to make sure the headlights are clipped in properly otherwise they'll be off down the road.

C11BRA said:

I'll definitely need to make sure the headlights are clipped in properly otherwise they'll be off down the road.

Finally had time fit the NS bespoke caliper to hose pipe today.

Also fitted the GT3 sized master cylinder. Wow! That was easier than I thought. 4 bolts, 2 pipes. Done. Result.

Now. Before I fully bleed the system, do I upgrade the rear brakes to turbo/GT3 sized discs. Hmmmmm. Might have to re-name the thread though.

Should I re-use my current calipers (on spacers) or upgrade to GT3 style calipers. I'm not sure it's worth the money to be fair.

On the 996 the turbo/GT3 rear disks are thicker and use a different caliper.

MC

I've stripped off the rear calipers, discs & hoses.

I've upgraded to 350mm GT3 rear discs. So, the dilemma is to machine some 10mm spacers and re-use my original calipers. Hmmm. But I think the car will be very front biased with the new 6 pots.

I did consider fitting my (smallest of all 997's) front calipers but due to the slight offset difference and checking the piston sizes I feel these will send the bias too far rearwards.

With the bolt spacing at 130mm there is a raft of options available. So I am considering other Porsche calipers. Watch this space. Ideally I'd like 34mm pistons x 4 to match the GT3 set up. With my new master cylinder I'm hoping the feel and bias will be suitable.

I'll update soon.

Track day booked 17th April. Bedford.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back