Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone done ignition switch, UPDATED with easy DIY

Posting this as a separate item and not an edit ..

A 4 pin relay has terminals 85/86 .. these are the switching on / off of the relay .. terminals 30/87 are the connections the relay joins together ..

If you bridge term 30/87 it will be the same as the car doing it .. you basically bypass everything though .. by bridge i mean stick a wire across both terminals .. or a split pin .. it will get hot though .

In the case of the starter it will spin over .. make sure it aint in gear !!

Your emergency start if it all goes pear shaped .. as if this does not start the car then its the starter motor !.

You will still need ignition key in the on position .

EDIt .. a five pin relay will work in a four pin relay slot .

Did mine a few months ago....

Technical difficulty - 2/10
Physically/Patience - 8.5/10

I removed the heater duct, lay a towel over the pedals, pushed the seat all the way back and reclined it fully. Shoes off, flipped myself upside down and rested my head on the pedals.

Loosening those 2 screws was an absolute B*****D
I had to mount a flat blade screwdriver bit on the end of a socket as every screwdriver I own was too long.

I'm only 5' 8'' and have lady hands and wrists and I still struggled.

Took me 2 hours I reckon.

It was like painting the hallway through the letter box!

Daz

Torch and a small mirror helps.
Oh, and if your the wrong side of 40 a couple of pairs of glasses.

Daz

eastwood1875 said:
Did mine a few months ago....

Technical difficulty - 2/10
Physically/Patience - 8.5/10

I removed the heater duct, lay a towel over the pedals, pushed the seat all the way back and reclined it fully. Shoes off, flipped myself upside down and rested my head on the pedals.

Loosening those 2 screws was an absolute B*****D
I had to mount a flat blade screwdriver bit on the end of a socket as every screwdriver I own was too long.

I'm only 5' 8'' and have lady hands and wrists and I still struggled.

Took me 2 hours I reckon.

It was like painting the hallway through the letter box!

Daz

You are a braver and more dextile man than i am that's for sure .. i tried this method when i first started many years ago .. it gave me a bad back so i went back to the porsche way of instrument cluster out .. remove the lock and do it on the bench .

To be fair .. we have to replace the entire lock assembly and not just the electric block .. garages have to do things different as we warranty the work we have carried out .

Either way though .. if you find a way that doesn't involve paying people like me then fair play .. that's why i post here :)

:thumb:

infrasilver said:
From looking at what I have today and just sticking my head up there tonigh it does look a proper faff. I do have a very tiny ratchet that takes screwdriver bits so I'm hoping that does the job.

The alternative is follow my instructions from my post .. it's far easier i feel and how i do it .. i may be changing the entire lock but either way it's easier ..

The only difficulty .. you have to bend the steering column cowling around the column to remove .. its plastic .. it will bend a lot is all i can say .

Stick some tape , masking over the dash above the key position so the cluster doesn't mark the dash ... general .. be careful basically .

Ok im off .. you know where i work if you need a chat .

Demorts right (as always)
Instruments out is the industry standard although theres more bits to remove and put back. BUT! It saves your back, stops you feeling sick and whole less frustrating. I did mine in my small garage, lot's of swearing, sweating and huffin' and puffin' but all done and working in 2 hours.

Daz

I have managed to get the ignition switch swapped over this afternoon, I went in through the vent and I have to say it was reasonably easy doing it this way and I only had to get under the dash upside down to remove the heater pipe and refit it afterwards, everything else was done from above.
I started it around 12.15 and I was done before 1pm, just getting a screwdriver on the grub screws took 15 minutes of that time.
This way is definitely the easiest way.

So now I have done it I thought it made sense to write how I did it.

I removed the lower heater pipe by getting under the dash, this just pulls off at both ends

I then undid the two T20 torx screws at the side of the air vent.

And the headlight switch, just pull out the switch and push on the brass coloured tab and this will come off.

Then there is another T20 Torx to remove inside the headlight switch, once undone pull the screw out with a magnet as it's in a deep hole.

Pull the vent housing away towards you, pulling the door seal away will help get your finger behind the housing. and disconnect the headlight connector.

Next I removed the inner heater vent pipe, one screw holding this on, it then drops down into the footwell.

Once that pipe is removed you can see everything you need to get to and can get your arm inside where the grub screw heads are.

Pull off the purple ignition switch plug and push to one side.

Scratch the red paint that seals the grub screw heads.

This is the little ratchet I have for getting into small spaces, I cracked both screws with this.

Then finished off unscrewing with this, it is short enough to get in and turn with your fingers.

Ignition switch just drops out when you have undone the grub screws far enough. I took one grub screw all the way out, don't do this, just undo enough to get the switch out.

Easy Peasy

I've just got back from 1000 miles to Paris and back and the issue didn't replicate itself once, I'm still not sure what the problem was and if it was just a one off fault somewhere but either way I'm glad it's not done it again and I know I don't have to worry about having an ignition switch problem in the future.

This a really usefull guide, thank you for posting it :thumb:

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back