Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone done ignition switch, UPDATED with easy DIY

infrasilver

I've not had time to research this yet but I wanted to get the opinion of the collective on here in advance. Last night I started the 996 and nothing happened on the first two turns of the key, third turn and the starter spun and engine fired up. I woke up this morning thinking it may be the ignition switch?

My issue is I am driving to France tomorrow afternoon and I'm worried it may fail permanently while I'm away or even before I set off, so I want to buy one and carry it with me or if the job isn't too hard I may be able to get one and actually fit it before I leave?

A few questions,

how hard a job is it and how long does it take to replace?

Once they start to fail, how long is it before they permanently fail?

Also I seem to remember it also being a VW/Audi part, I need to get one by tomorrow at the latest so any pointers where to get one at short notice?

I picked up on deMorts how to guide on that link you posted :thumb:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=138859&highlight=#

And before that I had a quick browse of a Youtube video that followed a similar procedure, so I now have a better idea of how to tackle this.

I found a Meyle ignition switch for £7.74 that will be delivered today, cheap as chips.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meyle-100-905-0000-Ignition/dp/B006QY2LG0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1IPLPT41ZLTN6

So I'm not sure whether to risk having a go at it tomorrow before I leave or risk not doing it but take the switch with me?

Good luck. :thumbs:

I have replaced my ignition switch - I ordered the part of Amazon - was about £9 delivered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006QY2LG0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took about 30 mins. Most of that time was removing the vent by the ignition switch, so you can get behind the switch to get it out. Wasnt a hard job, but is fiddly, as you need to be a contortionist.....

I wouldnt have any qualms about doing it at the side of the road, if I had the part and tools with me.....so perhaps just take the part with you?

infrasilver said:
I do carry a fairly comprehensive tool kit around with me but if it only takes me an hour I would rather it be in my garage than at the side of the road, my concern is if I cause another issue doing it before I leave.

I agree, but I'd rather have other issues to fix in my own garage than at the side of the road.

MC

I'm a bit late here .. sorry ..

Might i suggest just to be safe .. change the starter relay as well ..

It's rare for these to fail but i have seen a Cayman literally at our garage being driven to clean and then it wouldn't start .. it was this relay .

Start lock position 7 , board is behind the rear seats under the carpet and ally panel .

Ignition lock .. you can't really break anything doing this .. some people crawl under the dash board and replace these .. too much hard work for me hence my post on how i do them .

it's an hours job really and you are more than capable that's for sure !

Sods law it had to happen just before your trip :(

Attachments

• relay_1_136.jpg
    relay_1_136.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 1,771
This is my dilemma, I have ordered it and will fit it just to eliminate it but I'm also mindfull that it could be something else that won't repeat itself until I'm already b**** deep in France.

I've just got home so I'm going to stick my head under there and do a few starting cycles to see if it does or doesn't start every time?

It can be the ignition lock ( the contact block ), wiring ( i doubt this ) the starter relay ( very possible ) or the starter motor .

Engine earth is a bit of a rare possible item but i'm pretty sure yours is fine .. it would have to be well and truly corroded to be that .

At the end of the day as long as the dash lights come on then you can bump start it .. don't think yours is a tip is it ?

I take it there was no click from the engine when it did not start ? if there was then its starter motor .

I'll just add .. i'm not convinced on the ignition lock as that's an unusual way for them to fail but it's certainly worth replacing to be safe ... relay is something i would like replaced or swopped with something like heated rear screen , a/c compressor relay if you don't have one .

Edit

Just a separate thought as yours is a Targa .. all dry inside isn't it ? mainly passengers side and under the seat .. alarm cu there .

I have just been out and it started 10 times in a row :pc:

So it makes me wonder if it was a one off dry joint or like you say a relay, good shout regarding swapping for another of the same type, I guess I won't know unless it does it again now

No water ingress into the car, it's bone dry in there.

I also removed the heater pipe that runs above your shins and had a look up but the ignition switch looks a bit of a pain to get to, I may still change it tkmorrow?

My earth cables are new last years when I had slow starting issues so I don't think that will be the issue.

When it didn't start there was no click or dimming dash lights which leads to believe that it wasn't sending any power to the starter motor.

If you have time then replace the ignition lock block .. if not just take it with you .. replace or swop out the relay though please ... heated screen or a/c i think are 4 pin relays and neither is needed that much compared to the starter .

I replace the lock as per my post .. underneath .. man .. too much pain for me these days lol .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back