Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another one with a 997 GT3 Itch

Many that have bought comforts wish they had bought a CS but very seldom the other way.
As Nick says the CS buckets are very comfortable even for very long journeys and for me the seats,cage and extinguisher bolted to the floor epitomise a proper GT3.

In order to restore a bit of balance... :wink:

It's not quite as clear cut as that. Clubsports are about 30% production (or less?) of all 997 GT3's last I heard, and they're outnumbered for good reason

A lot of people just don't want the inconvenience of bucket seats and a cage in the back. Now that I've installed buckets and a cage, the car is about half as usable as it was before. I used to use it on Euro tours and throw in a suitcase and other stuff in the back which you simply cannot do with a Clubsport

Unless you're doing trackdays I wouldn't bother with a Clubsport, and indeed my GT3 was perfectly usable until I decided I was going to keep it mainly as a track car. As a road car a non-Clubsport is perfectly fine. Values-wiser Clubsports probably have the edge, but currently there is a blue non-Clubsport in the opc network for £85k and 46k miles which is quite a solid price

When I was looking I was steered towards a comfort car with heated seats, sat nav and an electric sunroof ffs so don't believe everything you read on here.Seller was one of the boys! :hand:

A motorsport car should be pared to the bone and research on P cars going back to the seventies will back that up. :thumbs:

It depends what the car is going to be used for. If backroad blasts like the OP says then a non-Clubsport would fit the requirements. If trackdays then a Clubsport would be the more suitable option

Before I started doing trackdays my car was more than fine - was only after I started doing trackdays that I thought a Clubsport would be better...

Personally no matter what the intended use I feel a none CS is not the real deal. I do respect other views though. :thumbs:

If you want the toys buy a turbo.

As I've done over 120K miles in my 996 GT3, I feel more qualified than most to comment re: the cage :grin:

Yes, the cage gets in the way of sticking large lumps of luggage in the back, but guess what? Luggage comes in smaller sizes which allows it to be posted past the cage. The only thing that I absolutely have to have in the frunk is my helmet bag with HANS device as it is simply too bulky.

The 996 seats are absolutely the best seats IMHO, slightly edging out the Pole Positions I have in the GT2. The Carrera GT carbon seats I have in my 997.2 GT3 are a very close second but they don't fit very well if you are a bit on the large side.

NXI20 said:
The only thing that I absolutely have to have in the frunk is my helmet bag with HANS device as it is simply too bulky.

...however, if you have a 997.2 with the folding buckets, it is perfectly viable to put even that back there (it is a little bit of an art getting it past the cage, but once it is in it fits as if it were bespoke luggage). That is of course only possible due to the different cage design between the 996 and 997 though.

I agree that the 996 buckets are the best of the lot (I have still yet to encounter a more comfortable bucket and they magically seem to fit pretty much anybody regardless of size or build), but as someone with a heftier frame than Nick I favour the 997 folding buckets over the Carrera GT style fixed back option as I find the latter too narrow across the upper back/shoulders.

Food for thought that's for sure.

I have done a couple of track days, though mainly have the 6TT for for back road blasts and car meets. The same requirements would fit for the GT3, though I am hoping for a Europe trip next year. At this moment in time I'm not so sure I'd track it.

Zoro, I've seen that GT3 in the flesh as it's at my local OPC, I've expressed interest, though trying to work out how much my 6TT is worth.

They've got 2 GT3s at Harbour cars as well as the one at Pompey. Test em back to back!

Thanks for the heads up Medmick!

I think we're all watching the same feeds as I just got off the phone to Harbour cars about the yellow 7GT3. :thumb:

kas750 said:
As Nick says the CS buckets are very comfortable even for very long journeys and for me the seats,cage and extinguisher bolted to the floor epitomise a proper GT3.

+1 on that!

I went from a 997.1 Turbo to a 997.2 GT3. The GT3 is a lot more fun, more of an event and obviously the better track car. And the sound!

In terms of the folding buckets. They are a lot more comfortable than the adaptive sports seats I had in the turbo. You can sit in there all day long.

I've only done three track days in my GT3. Mine has the electric sports comfort seats, Im not a big frame but the seat s were fine for me on the track. But the main choice for me not to go buckets was ease of general use and my girlfriend and my daughter find getting in easier than a bucket seat. They both tried a bucket seat. I know its my car and I am driving but I still like to get out for a drive with the missis or my daughter so I have to take that into account.
If I did more track days and didn't use it as much on the road I might change. as far as getting a GT3 they are superb. So much interaction with the car. Have a couple of friends with 12c McLaren's who want me to change to one, but I still love the old fashion drive.

Shapes65 said:
Thanks for the heads up Medmick!

I think we're all watching the same feeds as I just got off the phone to Harbour cars about the yellow 7GT3. :thumb:

:grin: They just sent me their stock update, and I was dreaming about that yellow GT3!

Think I need to check the bucket seat option out as I've yet to see them in the flesh. I can see them being a bit of faff, though my GF currently won't go in the turbo as it's too noisy and scary, so bucket seats won't make a difference.

The speed yellow is quite a unique colour...still trying to work out how much I like it!

As Roro said, lots of track days they may be beneficial. For road and occasional track the comfort seats are fine with me.
Many years ago I had a yellow Mitsubishi Evo 8 . Everyone said its not a popular colour. When I was selling it so many people wanted it. I like yellow, quite rare in a GT3.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back