Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

An itch that needs to be scratched!

Hi tom_nieto - assuming you had the 111 inspection carried out? Was there anything suspect around the bore scoring or IMS and have you had to dip into a slush fund for any issues?

If you scratch the itch you're unlikely to regret it so long as you do your home work.

Advice from the guys on this forum is invaluable.

Two dealers I've bought from and would recommend are Portiacraft and Harbour Cars. I had PPIs done on mine which threw up one or two issues that actually covered the cost of the PPI. I've had recourse to call on both the above sellers 'warranty' - I couldn't fault either. Sorted my issues and kept me running.

Went for lunch today at Caffine & Machine in the Midlands... most numerous car in the car park 911s! 992, 997 (GT3 & Turbo), 996. It's an itch worth scratching if you can afford to do it.

bal_911 said:
Sorry to hijack the post but I've seen a 911 that's had 9 owners in tbe last 11 years. Would that bother anyone? It's only done 50k as well so relatively low mileage. Also its had 3 owners in the last 3 years

I would plan on keeping it for 4 or 5 years if not longer but would it affect resale whenever I did try and sell it?

Q1. What is it's current condition
Q2. Refer to Q1.

Or another way of looking at it thta's 9 owners who have spent money keeping it in tip top shape (refer to Q1.)

Let us know what it wa slike.

martin t said:
bal_911 said:
Sorry to hijack the post but I've seen a 911 that's had 9 owners in tbe last 11 years. Would that bother anyone? It's only done 50k as well so relatively low mileage. Also its had 3 owners in the last 3 years

I would plan on keeping it for 4 or 5 years if not longer but would it affect resale whenever I did try and sell it?

Q1. What is it's current condition
Q2. Refer to Q1.

Or another way of looking at it thta's 9 owners who have spent money keeping it in tip top shape (refer to Q1.)

Let us know what it wa slike.

Thanks, it's the Meteor Grey one that Cridfords have up at the moment.

https://www.cridfords.co.uk/inventory/used_cars/201010-porsche-911-997-38-carrera-s-coupe-pdk/

I've been looking for the last month for a 997.2 and this one has been for sale for a while so I am wondering why it hasn't gone as it has a good list of options on it.

I know Cridfords are a bit hit and miss so if it's all ok on the weekend I was going to get a PPI done on it as well just for reassurance.

I don't suppose anyone knows the car?

Jatson5 said:
Hi tom_nieto - assuming you had the 111 inspection carried out? Was there anything suspect around the bore scoring or IMS and have you had to dip into a slush fund for any issues?

I had an independent garage do an inspection including bore scope prior to purchasing. This flagged a few minor things but these were all able to be sorted prior to collection (leaking solenoid cover, gas strut missing from engine cover), most importantly the bore scope was reported as 'no evidence of scoring". I also pretty much went straight to Center Gravity for an inspection and geometry setup - highly recommended!

I enquired about a 111 point check at Porsche with a view to getting an extended warranty, but after being told that I'd need to have a major service (at OPC prices of course!), remove any non standard parts including my Bluetooth phone adapter and change all 4 tyres plus the inspection fee and warranty cost I decided not to bother! To date this has been the right choice and I've been lucky to only have to carry out minor work on the car (and servicing). Most expensive to date was the last one which added mesh grilles to the front intakes, new AC condensers, starter motor wiring loom and a low temperature thermostat. Nothing wildly out of the ordinary. I'm not worried about the IMS my engine has the most recent bearing design from the factory.

Perhaps I got lucky, although I was able to purchase a low mileage, one owner car with a good service history - I think given current prices I would have looked a lot more seriously into Gen 2 cars at higher mileages, but not sure what I would have ended up with.. Condition is everything with these.

I'm sure one day it'll score the bores and start using oil, but every high performance internal combustion engine will require a rebuild of some kind at some point in it's life. Thankfully there are lots of good options available for when that does happen.

Lastly, and probably most relevant is that my annual mileage is shamefully low, the car is kept in a garage and it has an annual service regardless - this has kept my costs low (also I use a great independent- Zuffenhaus which helps with both cost reduction and immense satisfaction that people who are passionate about Porsches are looking after my car). Garage queen, yes, but this hasn't impacted negatively on reliability. It gets an Italian tune up on a regular basis and gets revved out when the oil is hot. If anything the car feels better if it's been used regularly.

bal_911 said:

Lovely car, but is that seriously the price that they are commanding?! Every option ticked that I can think of. At £50k you're pretty much into Turbo territory!

I was going to try to illustrate how you could buy a Gen 1 and have a tonne of cash in the bank for an engine rebuild, suspension and cosmetic work, but there's a paucity of cars online at the moment.

This one looks like a beaut and there's one heck of a saving over the car above.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104221680744

I had a 996.1 for 5 months and then sold just before the end of the warranty because I was frightened of IMS/ RMS etc. Then went into a 997.2 c4s as it was supposedly the 'bomb proof' solution to the 996 and 997.1's issues. It was recovered br trailer two weeks ago and is still in the garage. Luckily it had warranty with it (let's hope it covers whatever is wrong with it!) Apparently one full pump replaced, now a high pressure fuel pump issue. The morale of the story? Be prepared for things going wrong and have a plan (warranty or slush fund) to sort out. They're his performance sports cars which are over 10 years old. Not meaning to scare you, just hoping all purchasers go into ownership with eyes open. Good luck!

tom_nieto said:
bal_911 said:

Lovely car, but is that seriously the price that they are commanding?! Every option ticked that I can think of. At £50k you're pretty much into Turbo territory!

I was going to try to illustrate how you could buy a Gen 1 and have a tonne of cash in the bank for an engine rebuild, suspension and cosmetic work, but there's a paucity of cars online at the moment.

This one looks like a beaut and there's one heck of a saving over the car above.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104221680744

I'd love a manual but the wife want's to drive it and she has an auto only license :x

I was looking at the gen 2's to be on the safer side engine wise, I know IMS and bore score are over played but I'd still prefer the gen2.

Turbo running costs put me off looking at those and I having the power that you can't really used on the road. I had an RS6 V10 and it was a great car but it was effortless power and before you knew itin 2nd you were already over NSL

Similar story here. My 996 cab is a tiptronic S ie it has flappy paddles.

It is my first tiptronic and it really wafts along nicely so you will not be disappointed, and i prefer it to a manual. Wife loves it but now prefers our 997.

Hope test drive goes well.

tom_nieto said:
bal_911 said:

Lovely car, but is that seriously the price that they are commanding?! Every option ticked that I can think of. At £50k you're pretty much into Turbo territory! .........

The Cridfords car is a bit toppy on price but it's the mileage that dictates that. £50k would only get you a Gen1 turbo (a 2/3 year older car) and the mileage would be higher.

bal_911 said:
I'd love a manual but the wife want's to drive it and she has an auto only license :x

I was looking at the gen 2's to be on the safer side engine wise, I know IMS and bore score are over played but I'd still prefer the gen2.

Turbo running costs put me off looking at those and I having the power that you can't really used on the road. I had an RS6 V10 and it was a great car but it was effortless power and before you knew itin 2nd you were already over NSL

Only the most blinkered gen 1 owner would suggest they are the better car. A gen 2 is more powerful, more economical and more reliable, with a better auto gearbox and PCM system.

However the market at the minute for gen 2 cars has base carreras and targas in questionable colour schemes and limited specs for £40k+. I'd rather have a looked-after gen 1 with a rebuilt engine and £5k in my pocket (at least) at that price.

Apparently Gen 2`s can suffer from gunge build up within the inlet tract in as little as 30k miles. I doubt it is a big issue though seems likely to reduce performance by some degree..? I guess if one is not used to a 997 performing at the top of it`s game then the possible reduction in performance may never be noticed...and perhaps less so if your daily driver is not sporty..?

I think there are all sorts of magical ideas relating to the gunk removal, but it may be that it is at least an engine lowering job if not engine out to remove the intake manifolding to access the whole inlet tract and the back of the inlet valves...?

In my yoof I ran an ex race car as a daily when every penny counted and in my job I covered many miles in any one day, boy did I lust after that car, but it eventually beat me into submission. and as logic determined I was forced to sell it after giving it my very best shot with spanners welding gear and much more, ended up driving a barge with tears in my eyes for way too long until my finances ultimately recovered. Though now as an old codger, the experience left me with many tales to tell.... :floor:

Good luck in your choices guys.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back