Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

An itch that needs to be scratched!

Jatson5

Hi All,

Have been lurking on these forums for a while now as I've always wanted a 997 but now I think I'm ready to seriously start looking.

My budget extends to late gen1's or early but high mileage gen2's. With all the potential issues with the gen1's I'm swaying towards the high miler gen2's.

From what I've read on these pages the gen 2 engine is pretty much bullet proof but with a high mileage car e.g. high 80k + what should i be looking for beyond the basics of regular servicing etc?

Also does it ring alarm bells if it's changed hands a few times?

If any of the above has been covered in another thread which I may have missed, happy for someone to point me to it :)

Thanks in advance
Jatson

Changing hands a few times has never really bothered me as its all about the condition of the car ie you can equally argue new owners spend money on a car / the car is prepped for resale and an old owner does not or that a long standing owner has cherished the car ....horses for courses when a car is 10 years old :bandit:

Bulletproof compared to the Gen 1, certainly. It's still a ten year old engine in a high end sports car though. They're not immune from engine trouble and rebuilds.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Is there anything specific to look out for with the gen 2, common faults either engine wise or electrics?

Changing hands is not always a bad thing because what you find happens is the new owner throws cash at the car to make everything perfect and then moves on to the next.

I bought a high mileage gen2 partly because I knew over my ownership I would bring the average right down. Partly due to covid but I have done less than 2k miles in the last 2yrs!

The only common issue I can think of with a gen2 is a seized belt tensioner which is relatively easy and cheap fix.

The early gen2 are now coming up to their 12yr service.

For any car you are interested in, have it PPI'd by a reputable indy (unless buying from one of a very select group of dealers - Dove House / 911v / Ashgood etc).

The gen2 cars generally dont have systematic faults / the fear of engine worries like the gen1's do, but all 997s are all 10-15 year old cars now, so reaching the point where non-consumables will need replaced.

I wouldnt worry about the number of owners, many will be owned as second cars / toys and people move them on every year or so to scratch the next itch.

Plus 1+ re the number of owners, it just doesn't matter.
I've got a high owner 981 gts and it is clean as a whistle and sub. 20k miles in over 6 years.
I'm only using it weekends now and on the odd sunny weekday as a treat.
Again, each new owner does all of the checks and doesn't hold back on spending on their new baby.

I recently scratched the same itch with a 997.1 which had a replacement engine from Porsche and i can say it is a worthwhile experience.

Remember that these cars are almost 20 years old, well almost, so as previously mentioned on another thread, when buying one do not expect it to be faultless. As for number of owners that is not relevant as you are buying the car on current condition and nothing more. Unless you want a low owner low mileage FPSH car that is and they are very few and far between.

Good luck with your search, and i am sure you will get the same pleasure as I do from mine :thumb:

Sorry to hijack the post but I've seen a 911 that's had 9 owners in tbe last 11 years. Would that bother anyone? It's only done 50k as well so relatively low mileage. Also its had 3 owners in the last 3 years

I would plan on keeping it for 4 or 5 years if not longer but would it affect resale whenever I did try and sell it?

bal_911 said:
Sorry to hijack the post but I've seen a 911 that's had 9 owners in tbe last 11 years. Would that bother anyone? It's only done 50k as well so relatively low mileage. Also its had 3 owners in the last 3 years

I would plan on keeping it for 4 or 5 years if not longer but would it affect resale whenever I did try and sell it?

Would not bother me if the car was right.......I would just find it interesting looking at the history file on the car eg I bought a 3 year old GTS which had 5 owners on the V5 but two of those where the dealership and the last was for 6 months as the owner had it as a stop gap car waiting for his new one to be delivered......I sold it back to Porsche after a couple of years and they did not even ask / question the number of owners .....I know they then resold it within 2 weeks to another customer who would have been the 7th owner, its obviously did not affect that sale either :thumb:

Porsche and other sports cars tend to have higher numbers of owners, probably because of people always wanting one and then just 'scratching the itch' as the saying goes and realising how much it costs to maintain and then moving it on.

I'd rather a car had the least amount of owners but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a car that was in great condition because of this alone.

bal_911 said:

Wouldn't be an issue for me at all.
lets be honest, it cant be that the car has had 9 catastrophic failures in 11 years.

i would do a number plate history check if you are going to pursue it.
Mine had 5 owners and when I did a number plate check there were several plates with the same initials, i.e. AB1 or 2AB etc.

Thanks all for confirming it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm planing to go see it this weekend all being well.

Again - thanks for all the input

@bal_911 - no worries fella about hijacking the post

Was thinking about this last night as I'm hoping if i do take the plunge that I'll be looking at long term ownership. Not necessarily looking at it as an investment but a car that when it does come to selling will have retained a large chunk of its value.

So... which in your own opinions would be the better option?

1) a high mileage poverty spec gen2 Carrera - say a 09 plate
Or
2) a low mileage but high spec gen1 - say Targa 4S Manual - 06 plate - which if picked up at the right price could factor in a Hartech rebuild if needed a couple of years down the line.

Buy the best car that your budget can afford. Get a PPI and be prepared to walk away.

Your dilemma is very valid as Gen 1 and 2 prices are crossing over. Only buy a targa if you've always wanted one... I personally don't see the appeal of them over a cabriolet in the 996/7.

If your cash is only extending to slightly tired Gen 2 cars with few options to differentiate them from the crowd, then a well looked after and optioned Gen 1 might be a sensible choice, especially if you factor in a bit of a slush fund. The only caveat is if you're dead set on an automatic in which case PDK makes the case for the newer car.

I couldn't get close to a Gen 2 with my budget when I bought my Gen 1 C2S 4 years ago, however my budget was enough to buy a low mileage, low owner, nice colour, well optioned Gen 1. I am very happy with my car and have been able to drive a 911 for 4 years rather than save for a Gen 2 for 4 years and probably have never bought one. As a long term ownership prospect I think a tidy Gen 1 offers a lot of car for the money.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back