Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice and thoughts please !

Flozzer

Hi All,
I have previously owned a 964 and two 996's but currently am without Porsche, I have a nice Alpina D3 biturbo, but as so many of you will be well aware the Porsche itch will not go away.
So my plan now, after doing plenty of research, is to take my time to find my next Porsche which I have decided should be either a 997 gen2 or 997 turbo.
My first choice would be the Turbo but never having driven or been the passenger in one, I'm unsure whether a slightly newer naturally aspirated Porsche would be the way to go.
I am sure that there are many of you that have had the good fortune to have sampled both and will probably say it's a matter of choice but I would appreciate any thoughts and tips.

If anyone lives in the Suffolk area especially, I would appreciate maybe being able to meet up and see their car in the flesh and perhaps try out the passenger seat, as most people will probably say to try out the different types to see what you prefer but it's difficult to go to a garage and not get the hard sell.
Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

You'd definitely need to drive a turbo to see if it suits you.

A lot of people I know have had both and there's a pretty even split between those that prefer one over the other. Some have gone back to NA cars, some never would.

I love the way my 997.1T performs (not just the outright oomph) and it suits my needs perfectly BUT I would change it for a 991.1 Carrera if I could make the 'cost to change' stack up.

A Gen1 Turbo would be a similar price to a 997.2 Carrera but for me there's no contest, it's definitely not a change I would make, despite the Carrera being a bit newer. A 997 GTS would be a more difficult decision to make but that may cost a few £££s more.

Can't really add much apart from there's a couple of 997 Turbo's for sale @ Bure Valley nr Norwich , maybe worth a drive so you can nose around one?

Condition aside the sheer power and delivery of torque of the turbo is probably the clincher over the gen 2s slightly newer tech and higher rev capability. My aspirations were for the Gen 2 4s naturally!

Thanks for those thoughts, much appreciated.

I had enquired about the Blue Turbo in Norwich but someone had already placed a deposit ! :sad:

Yes T8, I think my first course of action is to try and find a gen1 Turbo to look at/be a passenger (help somebody 😁)
and then I will know whether to concentrate on that or a gen2 997 and then of course what type. As I mentioned previously I had a 996 C4S, I loved the way it held the road (why did I sell it 😱 ) !

What a dilemma ! 😂

I'd say you deffo need to drive both, ideally back to back, ie, go to two dealers (or even the same one if they have the right stock) I think aesthetics are important but you'll just know when you sit in and drive the right car.

Good luck!

Stoddy :thumbs:

Are there any meets coming up in Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk ?

Regards
Mark

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back