Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 top mounts on a 996 C4s/Turbo

After this thread I'm really thinking of changing mine now. Is it an easy job?

Any walkthroughs around?

997 top mounts on a 996 C4S/Turbo

My front strut top mounts needed replacing recently and as a result of this thread i bought the top mounts for a 996 C4S and a 997 C4S from Design 911 and gave them to my indy to see if the 997 ones would work and save me some money. Although the 2 sets are very similar in shape and the bolts do line up, the indy felt that the 'internal structure' (presumably the rubber bushes) did look a bit different and he wondered if this could be related to the fact that other parts of the 997 front suspension are a bit different/sturdier in their construction??? So, to cut a long story short, I decided to stick with the 996 ones, just to be on the safe side, and returned the 997 ones for a refund. Maybe someone else will be braver than me and report back on their findings...

I bet there is a subtle difference as you say.

But new 997 mounts will be a whole lot better than aged 996 mounts!

Most people on here are happy to run Meyle coffin arms, these are different in weight and obviously the bushes are a bit different to OE TRW ones.

You pays your money etc...

I changed mine on the C4 last weekend. Easy to do about 1/2 hour each side and put in new top mount bearings while I was at it.

996lee said:
:sad: just when i thought i was in for a cheap fix!

is there a 997 top mount equivalent for a c4 with the 030 suspension?

or am i doomed to the 996 tax lol

I'm sure m030 is the same it's x74 that are different.

Just my 2 pennys worth ..

Porsche use the same part numbers for the same item .. you will often find a 996 part number item being fitted to a 997 .

If the part numbers are different then its because there is a difference , it may not be obvious but there usually is a difference .

Just my opinion anyways .

Demort said:
Just my 2 pennys worth ..

Porsche use the same part numbers for the same item .. you will often find a 996 part number item being fitted to a 997 .

If the part numbers are different then its because there is a difference , it may not be obvious but there usually is a difference .

Just my opinion anyways .

Which begs the question, was the 997 part an improvement or just different?

Geez have you still not bought a couple of these to find out yet, the old units must have dissolved by now?

I'd say they are virtually identical judging by the pictures.

The 997 is a different car and I can't see Porsche putting 996 part numbered bits onto it (just my gut feeling) even if they are identical.

I did happen to spot proper 996/turbo top mount units on ebay the other day for £130 a piece but can't find the link right now :pc:

Just to update and add to this thread, the original 997 C4/C4S Gen1 part numbers have superseded to the gen2 number.

997 343 01502 & 997 343 01602 from Porsche £169 for the pair !!

Very Glad someone on the Facebook - Porsche 996 carrera owners club linked this thread.

cheers

997 front strut top mounts fitted with no adverse effects. mounts looked the same as old 996 units which were removed. happy

Is this just fronts or rears as well?

Looking to replace my 996 turbo top mounts soon so looking these 997 items if they will work? :thumb:

RWD_cossie_wil said:

Looking to replace my 996 turbo top mounts soon so looking these 997 items if they will work? :thumb:

Im in the same boat with my turbo. Ive seen normal 996 mounts for the turbo listed on design911 for £109 each which seems pretty good. Im going to ring up OPC and see what they say. I cant find anyone on here thats fitted the 997 mounts to a turbo.

chriscoates81 said:
RWD_cossie_wil said:

Im in the same boat with my turbo. Ive seen normal 996 mounts for the turbo listed on design911 for £109 each which seems pretty good. Im going to ring up OPC and see what they say. I cant find anyone on here thats fitted the 997 mounts to a turbo.

Doing mine soon, just going to order 4x 997 versions & see how I get in, can always sell them on or return if no good.

Having 997 top mounts done on my 996 C4S this week along with full suspension refurb. I'll let you know how I get on with these mounts... hopefully before next Tuesday as I am off on a week's holiday....!!! :thumb:

Any update on if the mounts fit. Design911 suggest a C4, C4s and turbo share the same mount (at least in 996 format).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back