Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 interior refresh ideas

ftaffy said:
SJD said:
Any recommendations for trimmers in Scotland? Small bit of stitching to repair on a drivers seat (fortunately not my 997).

Everyone i have seen has been down south, been considering the same thing. Seems to be a few trimmers who do classic.

Car trimmers glasgow have a 993 on the site: https://cartrimmers.wordpress.com/

Optimus Trimmers, Glasgow
http://optimustrimmers.co.uk.gridhosted.co.uk/contact-us/ Also get mentioned in threads as doing porsche work

Not used either and still on the hunt for some options and will then get some prices/chat to see if they will be able to match the stitching in the rest of the car.

Restoration company near me but I know they are not cheap having previously had them quote for a respray.

I'm sure you'll be like me and hoping for a recommendation.

Playing with interior tartan ideas and also finding i am way over budget on interior alone... Beyond this still want to do some exterior/exhaust work which basically doubles the budget again. :sad:
So need to cut things back.... and pick some tartan as this seems cheap bang for buck and find a trimmer.

Thoughts on tartan choices? [Want to keep it subtle, so the more colourful options are just seeing what the looks like and i dont think it fits what i want].

Attachments

• tartan1_153.png
    tartan1_153.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,945
  • tartan2_144.png
    tartan2_144.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,945
  • tartan3_185.png
    tartan3_185.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,945
  • tartan4_615.png
    tartan4_615.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,944
  • interior_full_379.png
    interior_full_379.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,945
I guess it depends on if you want subtle or bold , grey granite or dark island are both subtle , but have to admit Earl of St Andrew caught my eye bold but not too in your face. :thumb: :thumb: I expected to like hounds tooth and it maybe just the pic but I didnt like it like I expected to. :thumb: no Black Watch tartan , I know green wouldn't be everyones taste but it is a lovely tartan :grin:

Tartan's - the sky is the limit. The decent kilt makers should be able to source you any of the hundreds possible. The rarer tartans might take a while and you want to source it in the heaviest weight you can.

"Modern" variants are generally darker / bolder and "Ancient" a bit paler and more muted, but both suit different things - my kilt is the ancient variant of the tartan and trews in the modern.

Depending on your family history, you might find you either have a family tartan or are part of a sept that would tie you to one of the clans.

Thanks for the replies.

Yellow, thanks for the tip on looking for modern versions of each tartan.

Houndstooth: Yes, i expected to like more given i dont mind it on the 50year cars. Possibly the pic but also possible it works better in larger blocks and also needs the depth real fabric gives to make it less brilliant white.
St Andrews: I wanted the Tartan to tie the exterior (Silver) and the interior (black) with the a colour i was doing highlights (was thinking red but it could be blue as its just gauges and exhaust headers at this stage). Now would pay off going back to having a Jade Ocean green car...

Black Watch Tartan, had a few versions so picked a darker one.

Also picked some more extreme ones to get an idea (ie Red Stewart and Yellow Macleod.

On picking my family ties... solidly irish but all recent is Australian. I just happen to have ended up over here for work.
The Flynn/Duke of Fife one is as close as i have got that is not some crazy bright green, yellow, red thing.

Trying to decide if i should just do door cards or keep doing the entire dash. Its one of the cheapest things on the list and easy to reverse with some 2nd hand parts.

Attachments

• tartan5_700.png
    tartan5_700.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,834
  • tartan6_373.png
    tartan6_373.png
  • tartan7_892.png
    tartan7_892.png
ftaffy said:
The paint method is an option and considerably cheaper, i can do that myself once i get back home with the car. Same has me holding fire on suspension refresh.

The arm rests look really good.
The full console matches what i expected but i just like the look so likely to just pay it.

Sports classic - has colour door pull handles. And has the X97 handbrake. Interesting that it has the boxster/cayman door cards/pull handle.
20161108163523624_006.jpg
You might be interested to know that they used the cayman cards & handles specifically to show off more of the houndstooth interior...
:thumb:

ftaffy said:
Thanks for the replies.

Yellow, thanks for the tip on looking for modern versions of each tartan.

Houndstooth: Yes, i expected to like more given i dont mind it on the 50year cars. Possibly the pic but also possible it works better in larger blocks and also needs the depth real fabric gives to make it less brilliant white.
St Andrews: I wanted the Tartan to tie the exterior (Silver) and the interior (black) with the a colour i was doing highlights (was thinking red but it could be blue as its just gauges and exhaust headers at this stage). Now would pay off going back to having a Jade Ocean green car...

Black Watch Tartan, had a few versions so picked a darker one.

Also picked some more extreme ones to get an idea (ie Red Stewart and Yellow Macleod.

On picking my family ties... solidly irish but all recent is Australian. I just happen to have ended up over here for work.
The Flynn/Duke of Fife one is as close as i have got that is not some crazy bright green, yellow, red thing.

Trying to decide if i should just do door cards or keep doing the entire dash. Its one of the cheapest things on the list and easy to reverse with some 2nd hand parts.

I like the door cards and possibly seat centres, but not the lower dash - its a bit of interest / accent but not overwhelming.

The rest depends on your other plans / preferences - if you were going to add other colour to the car (belts, dials, centre console etc) I would personally pick one of the more subtle options (black watch is nice). If that was the only colour in the car, it goes with the outside (e.g. silver), you could go brighter but I dont think everyone would like it.

I think I agree door cards ,seat centres and centre armrest doing the lower dash maybe a bit too much , might be good in one of the darker tartans but a bit overwhelming in the bright tartans . The classic photo with hounds tooth although not a great photo looks much better than the mock up did . :thumb:

also might be worth considering trimming the edges of the mats in the same tartan .

I do like the darker black watch , I also liked the Scotland forever but its a bold statement colour

Thanks for the comments, think i agree with the dash being too much. Its just too big of a block and not like the older aircooled which was a strip only. Can see why people just do grey alcantara, no issues with patterns etc.

Trimming some smaller parts did get my thinking, might allow it to blend through the car. Leather + tartan highlights.

My plans had red belts etc but think i will leave those black. The gauges would like to add 2 tartan matching stripes down them... But that is a nice to do at some point.

Need to order some samples of 3 or 4 and see what looks good in person.
These guys look well priced for gauges: Heiler Tachodesign after seeing someone on facebook post about a couple of jobs they did.

ftaffy said:
Thanks for the comments, think i agree with the dash being too much. Its just too big of a block and not like the older aircooled which was a strip only. Can see why people just do grey alcantara, no issues with patterns etc.

Trimming some smaller parts did get my thinking, might allow it to blend through the car. Leather + tartan highlights.

My plans had red belts etc but think i will leave those black. The gauges would like to add 2 tartan matching stripes down them... But that is a nice to do at some point.

Need to order some samples of 3 or 4 and see what looks good in person.
These guys look well priced for gauges: Heiler Tachodesign after seeing someone on facebook post about a couple of jobs they did.

Yes thats who did my green gauges on the gen1 , might have been one pic I posted on FB replying to a comment . They speak very good English and will send you an email design based on what you ask for ,but do make sure you tell them things like are the temps are in Farenheit or celcius that its RHD in MPH, tip or man etc . I thought I had got all the info but it came specced for USA have a look at the temps , didnt worry me but ideally you would learn from my mistake lol . :grin: :thumb:

Attachments

• p1010167_123.jpg
    p1010167_123.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,684
  • p1010190_174.jpg
    p1010190_174.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 2,684
Phil 997 said:
Matt or anyone considering the gauges remember to tell them the car is RHD MPH tip/pdk/ manual ,and celsius or fahrenheit , if you look closely at my temp gauges you will see I forgot to tell them about temps :grin: :grin: it was never a big issue as I knew where the temps gauge needles should :floor: :floor:

I've just ordered a new set of gauge discs from Heiler, but mine were £130 - where does the cost of £420 come from? Is it fitting cost?

I'm not looking forward to trying to fit them myself as I have the manual dexterity of a toddler.

I read their website as they are making their own discs - ie they're not waiting for my current set to repaint. Is this correct or am I going to be sat waiting a long time? I really can't be chewed taking my car to bits for a month for an entirely cosmetic mod.

LeopoldStotch said:
Phil 997 said:
Matt or anyone considering the gauges remember to tell them the car is RHD MPH tip/pdk/ manual ,and celsius or fahrenheit , if you look closely at my temp gauges you will see I forgot to tell them about temps :grin: :grin: it was never a big issue as I knew where the temps gauge needles should :floor: :floor:

I've just ordered a new set of gauge discs from Heiler, but mine were £130 - where does the cost of £420 come from? Is it fitting cost?

I'm not looking forward to trying to fit them myself as I have the manual dexterity of a toddler.

I read their website as they are making their own discs - ie they're not waiting for my current set to repaint. Is this correct or am I going to be sat waiting a long time? I really can't be chewed taking my car to bits for a month for an entirely cosmetic mod.

No they dont need your old ones the ones they supply are new, mine were about the same as yours infact it was a few years ago and think they were actually a bit cheaper £110 rings a bell . also not sure where the £420 came from but not me , my indy did take two/three hours on the job so maybe allow £150/£200 for labour unless your DIYing it in which case just take care removing the needles use a trim tool and take a photo before so you know the position of the needles when replacing (if getting the indy to do it remind them also about a photo as unless they have done if before they wont think about that) . took maybe a week 10 days to arrive :thumb: :thumb:

My seats and doorcards went in yesterday. Has the steering wheel refurbed too, to freshen it up.

Attachments

• img_20210312_wa0018_123.jpg
    img_20210312_wa0018_123.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 3,264
  • img_20210312_wa0019_122.jpg
    img_20210312_wa0019_122.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 3,264
Matt that really works mate , love it . cars going to look fantastic when you have finished both inner and outer projects. :thumb: looking forward to seeing it in the flesh when your next down here for breakfast or a ruby. :thumb:

Nice work, love it!
I have order a pile of sample tartans to see what will work.

Who did the work as its exactly what i am after and would you mind sharing the approx cost (pm fine but also fine if you dont understand perfectly)?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back