Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 turbo Vs 981 GT4

NickHappy

Montreal
Morning all,

I've had 5 happy years of turbo ownership and a 996 turbo before - just thinking of the next adventure and the GT4 is really appealing as it could work as a straight swap. I'm reluctant though as the turbo is such a good car for many reasons - any thoughts/feedback from others that have been fortunate to own both?

I'm typically a weekend driver, early morning B-Road blasts and meets etc. probably see about 3-4k miles a year. we have a few other cars in the stable so practicalities don't need to feature, things to consider though are the running costs, depreciation and what have you.

Cheers

NH

Hi Nick,

I had a 997.1 turbo tip for a couple of years and absolutely loved it but got the itch to try something different.

Ultimately I've ended up in a 718 Spyder which is effectively a GT4 without a roof.

997 pros
- rocket ship
- mezger engine
- iconic shape and looks - a stunning 911

981 GT4 pros
- naturally aspirated linear delicate acceleration
- sound!
- also looks stunning
- balance of mid-engine -> feels quite different to 911. It's very forgiving and I think better fun on the twisties (make sure you have the right tyres tho ... I've been on Dunlop Race Maxx and they're too twitchy in cold/damp)
- newer - should be less cost maintenance wise which you mentioned

Ultimately you need to have a drive - guess I'd have both if I could because they are different. For me ... I swapped out the 997 turbo despite loving it but I can't see me swapping out the Spyder for a very long time. It maybe that my kids will get to inherit it!

Only my 'two penn'th'

I'm looking forward to hopefully doing a track day soon with a friend who owns a GT4 with my own optimised 997 turbo with TracTive, GT2 arbs, RSS rear toe steer kit, GT2 engine mounts, and Brembo GT big brakes amongst other mods.

The suspension changes by 9e/TracTive have transformed the turbo. Its no where nr as resolved and telepathic as a GT4 chassis as my 911 still a bit softer ride with 997.1 GT3 RS ish spring rates on TracTive Touring but the better for it if a dd.

Both me and no doubt the GT4 owner will both give you our impressions of each others Porsche's on road and track. I doubt there will be anything in it track time wise but I expect the GT4 to feel nicer on track and the turbo better on road especially in the wet.

My initial thoughts though are that GT4 may fit your limited weekend use and meets brief better. I use my 997 turbo 24/7 365 days a year on both road and track. The turbo is the engineering marvel but its a bit too grown up for many (whisper boring grandads 911 which I like as so v.easy and safe to drive). Saw a 718 GT4 at R21 concours last year in Gentian Blue it was drop dead gorgeous. PDK available too in newer GT4 which I'd want as I find the older 981 GT4 clutch on the heavier side although the clutch in manual GT4 fine for weekend/track use but would be a real chore in London traffic :wink:

Attachments

• 01cb86c9_700e_4b89_a0dd_e950cf838532_184.jpg
    01cb86c9_700e_4b89_a0dd_e950cf838532_184.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,029
  • 91kivvqsqykbpjvbsbth3q_thumb_10b46_207.jpg
    91kivvqsqykbpjvbsbth3q_thumb_10b46_207.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • bb47cad4_ae29_453c_8dbe_69066e6670d9_165.jpg
    bb47cad4_ae29_453c_8dbe_69066e6670d9_165.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 1,029
  • unadjustednonraw_thumb_10baa_152.jpg
    unadjustednonraw_thumb_10baa_152.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • unadjustednonraw_thumb_10ba9_202.jpg
    unadjustednonraw_thumb_10ba9_202.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 1,029
  • unadjustednonraw_thumb_10ba8_582.jpg
    unadjustednonraw_thumb_10ba8_582.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1,029
I have only test driven a 981 GT4.
It's a track focussed car, sounds and looks great! Most of them will be on cup tyres which can make it a bit tricky in wet conditions.I would not be able to live with it as a daily is my humble opinion.
Please test drive it before going for it. :thumb:

As a 981GT4 owner of some 3+yrs I can echo the above comments. I'm on PS4S tyres, the Cup2s had to go after trying to enter (and leave) a roundabout in the wet :oops:

They are track focussed and more hard-core than the newer 718 upgrade which is more muted and left me with the impression it was more for the road user than track driver, even though on paper (bar the muted exhaust) has impressive credentials.

The GT4 is a well balanced car, good package and well built plus the warranty is half the 911 costs. Tyre roar, a heavy clutch, (very) precise steering and a howling exhaust once you get to 4k but with some strange gearing that allows you to drive at 30mph in 6th gear are all part of the charm.

I'm looking (or keep thinking) to move mine on this year as I've one more turn of the handle in me before I re-evaluate the fleet to the 'sensible' option otherwise given my limited use I can imagine Mrs Z in 25yrs time calling up Matthewson's Car Auctions of Bangers & Cash TV fame saying "He brought it home 28yrs ago, drove it into the garage and it's not moved" To which I expect the reply will be "Was he ever a 993 owner?"

Both cars are very good but for different reasons

Although I dont have a 997, my 991 Turbo is a fantastic allround car and its abilities have been well-documented
I can only add that the only issue I have coming from a GT4 is the steering on the 911 is not as direct. stepping from one to other reveals how much more "rubber" there is the Turbo in the suspension and steering.

over a welsh B road the 911 is massively faster out of corners and is a lot of fun, the GT4 is way stiffer and more of a handful over bumps. The GT4 has lovely engine sound but is gutless below 4K compared to the turbo
You will have to try both and see what suits you.

I was fortunate to have both together but now the GT4 is gone replaced with a base 718 Cayman 2.0 (house purchase) and it is very good car combining a bit of both Turbo and GT4

I do plan to acquire another GT4 as my dream garage has both!

I saw your post on Pistonheads Nick, and my immediate thought was Turbo all day long and twice on Sundays.

However, 981 GT4 is a lovely steer and provided you get one with the buckets and other spec it would be a more thrilling weekend drive. You know I loved my Turbo, and until recently was trying to buy another one, but one thing it always lacked was the specialness of a proper GT car (unless you copy Imi of course).

I wouldn't discount the Turbo, especially yours with the rarer colour scheme, but objectively the GT4 would be a better weekend/fun car.

Worth mentioning whatever you do to a turbo with AWD tech fest etc it will always be a turbo. No hiding its weight after 2-3 fast laps or intrusive AWD hence why the GT cars feels so special on track with Porsche's LW GT philosophy.

PHS if you do a track day let me know might pop along if its Bedford GT or West Circuit. Even I can't crash there. Famous last words! :p

All good info and really appreciate your replies gents, it's a tough one but I'm thinking with how I use my 'weekend toy" and what I'm looking to get out of it - the GT4 is an experience that I'd welcome.

I'll keep you posted 👍🏼

Being lucky enough to have the option of both, I can say they are both excellent choices but very different to drive. Both have long gearing, but the turbo gets you into licence loosing territory that much faster like a sledgehammer to the rear end.
The GT4 is definitely the better handling, nimble motor.
If its B road blasting, both are great, if its a continent cruiser, I think i'd have the turbo. For the track, the GT4. It's hard to describe, but I feel more connected to the turbo.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back