Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo or 997.2 Turbo

Which generation of 997 Turbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 997 1.5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow! Lol that is ridiculous! Over 200mph. Great to know how bulletproof the engines actually are. Im sure I've watched a YouTube interview on your car some time ago?

Thank you for the clip, mighty impressive.

IMI A said:
If the manual mezger gen 1 in question is a no story genuine mileage 25k turbo I think it's a good deal in present mkt. Defo the 997 turbo to keep and cherish using 3-5k miles a year I can see these appreciating long term albeit more slowly than say a GT3. Do get a pre purchase inspection and a rev range check.

Also the other good news is the new PCCM + from Porsche only available with gen 1. Not compatible with gen 1.5 and gen 2 997 turbo.

Sure there are a few weaknesses. Camshaft sleeves need pinning at some stage if you're unlucky and same with coolant pipes. That's it! Mine aren't done. Your prospective new turbo shares engine architecture with Le Mans winning 1998 GT1. Will always be special. Mine on nearly 106k miles with last 50k ish miles @ 700bhp no problem at all with many drag and circuit days with my car regularly at 210mph at top speed events. Very rugged cars. My engine and gearbox completely stock. I run bigger hybrid 62mm GT2 VTGs via 9e. Car has been faultless since tuning kit installed in 2014. Owned from new since 2007 and still love how confidence inspiring my turbo is for an everyday average driver like me both road and track. If it's only one sports car you can't beat a turbo IMO. Very tuneable easy enough to run 1000bhp on this engine without all that much in terms of mods. Rods and head studs and those other two weak spots sorted and literally job done. Having said that when I eventually build my engine maybe will take it to 800bhp but wouldn't want any more than this. Even 800bhp quite hairy i get this sort of power on race fuel.

202mph ish in standing mile and 0-300kph in 22 secs on racefuel. That's what you get with your manual mezger ;)

I'm regularly out with F12, 991 turbo s, 600LT etc. Other than 991 the other exotica can't live with a tuned 997 real world.

Pre Mint Green GT2 makeover this is me vs JWW in his brand new 992 turbo s at VMAX. Close no? 9e are amazed I've not blown mine up to be fair :grin:

Hi

That's an excellent spot! I hadn't noticed this, thank you.

Yes the 20k gen2 is stunning! I doubt if they'd drop to my budget though? The red seats would take some getting used to though.......

Trying so hard not to rush into anything but feel like a kid in a sweet shop!

Really appreciate your advice, thank you

T8 said:
E3 PSB said:
I am hoping to purchase a 25k mile manual 997.1 Turbo on Thursday for 63k

It was such a close decision as there is a gen 2 at the same place for 59k but with 55k miles on the clock.

It was 50/50 until this morning. Please don't be shy if you think I'm not making the best decision, I always listen to other points of view.

The Gen 1 car might only have 25k miles on it but I'd be very wary of buying such a low mileage car where the service history shows no stamps for the 1.7k miles it did between 2015 and 2022.

I'd be far happier buying the Gen2 car for £4-5k less as it's been used regularly and serviced correctly throughout its 54k mile life.

To get the best of both worlds (low but constant annual mileage and good history) you could try to do a deal on the 20k Gen2 car listed at £67,995.

Thanks they're fun when you mess with them a bit but sadly for investment I am sure you know best to leave stock. I run a Europipe 2 exhaust. Only other mod I would do if I could choose only say two upgrades is TracTive suspension/GT2 engine mounts. 480bhp doesn't feel much different from 700bhp in a 997 tbh. Now on racefuel with big 9e GT2 VTGs thats a different story Mezger goes mad. Its a fully serviceable racing block. If you blow the top end of the engine its designed from inception as race block to be easy to fix. Do look at and drive 997 and 991 turbo s too. If you have to save a bit longer I wouldn't be put off. All IMO interest rates going up may perhaps have a negative impact on used car values by July 23 as variable rates on finance start taking effect :wink:

E3 PSB said:
Yes one helluva 911! Very excited, I've actually never even driven a Porsche before.

Brakes wise, I've just sold an e46 M3 so used to having terrible brakes 😝

If I were you I would test drive a couple of each first, having never drove a Porsche yet.

Coming from a E46 M3 I don't think you'll like the all wheel drive, Ive had 5 E46 M3 still have a E92 M3, I have never liked the all wheel drive Porsche's to drive, I had a Turbo and it's a different animal to the BMW.

Hello E3 and welcome
Its nice to hear how you have been an enthusiast since you were young

There is something mysterious about owning a 911 Turbo _I still get a buzz just thinking about it!

I would buy a car that has been looked after by an enthusiast (mileage is no concern) and have it inspected before sale.
I would have a fund for when things go wrong which they will (maybe 5-10K)

My preference is to get a manual just because it was the last of its kind before the 991 became PDK 100%

Im sure forum members have a checklist of what to look for but be ready to spend and enjoy doing so :)

Good luck!

E3 your previous post echoed what I said earlier, the gen 2 car is a far better car. I've had 5 turbo's and the sweet spot for me was my 997.2 Turbo, the guy I sold it to, on here, says it's the best car he's had and he won't part with it, I know I tried to see if he'd sell it back to me but he won't.

I tweaked the car slightly but nothing that wasn't easily reversible. Changed the exhaust to a Sharkwerks straight through system, sounded stunning and not at all loud when you booted it.
DSC module for the suspension system, best thing you can buy, improves the car no end.
Spacers on front and rear, 15mm rear and 7 mm front, gives the car a nice stance.
Problem with the Gen 1 is the exhaust, if it's std it sounds flat and muted, the only problem is the Gen 1 system is a complete system, to change it you have to change the Cats. On the gen 2 it's modular so you can change the back box but leave the cats in place.

So today I was going down to Ashgood to view/buy the 997.1.

After the advice I received (especially about the service gap from 15-22) I've changed my mind.

Also the advice regarding the .2, I've decided that I'm going to go for a .2. Even though it is now very dated, I used to love the SMG gearbox in my M3, so a PDK will be sublime compared.

Cannot thank you enough for the sound advice, it is very very much appreciated.

Have a great Easter weekend.

Best wishes

Paul.

I think you've made the right decision Paul. The 997.1 is a fantastic car but you have to buy the right one at the right price. As a car to use £60k is too much and a lot of things go off and/or wear out with age and lack of use.

With a £60k+ budget you'll find a few Gen2 cars and I know you'll enjoy having the PDK.

NB: Self acclaimed 'purists' will tell you that you should buy a manual but when pushing on most turbo drivers prefer to have both hands on the steering wheel. If you need more inter-action just use the paddles. :thumb:

ps: Was the Gen2 car at 'Ashgood's not worth a look. :?: Viewing that one and the low mileage car might provide useful benchmarks.

The 997.2 might appear to be very dated but it's a fantastic driving car so you'll not notice the age of it.
you've made the best choice, just make sure you buy the right car and don't make any compromises, a bit extra money is worth spending and negates the 'I wish I'd bought the xxxxx one'

The .2 may feel dated but the .1 feels more dated.

The pdk in the .2 Carrera I had, I didn't like as much as the DCT in my BMW but the PDK on my Macan seem better.

Even though it may feel dated, when you drive it and live with it that will go and you'll love it.

I'd go for the .2 over the .1 for only one reason, the back lights look better.

After a week of research and looking.....

These two are of potential interest:

https://www.lakesideclassics.uk.com/cars/porsche/911/turbo/859297/

Having a paint refresh on the front bumper, I've said the rear looks a different shade too but the dealer says the body shop will sort any issues. Nice mileage and services are bang on.

https://www.warfordcarsltd.co.uk/details/used-car-in-wilmslow/porsche/911/3.8/849023/

Will be the 10th owner and slightly higher miles puts me off a little here, also I've read somewhere that the warranty isn't transferable after a trade sale?

Once again, any advice gratefully appreciated.

Happy Easter.

E3 PSB said:
I've read somewhere that the warranty isn't transferable after a trade sale?

There's a loophole whereby the dealer can pass on the warranty IF they are selling it on behalf of the current owner. If they've taken the car into stock the warranty is void,

You'd need to satisfy yourself as to what is a happening here and whether it's acceptable to you.

Agh I see, possibly save on the amount of owners on the V5 too then? I'll ask tomoz, thank you.

T8 said:
E3 PSB said:
I've read somewhere that the warranty isn't transferable after a trade sale?

There's a loophole whereby the dealer can pass on the warranty IF they are selling it on behalf of the current owner. If they've taken the car into stock the warranty is void,

You'd need to satisfy yourself as to what is a happening here and whether it's acceptable to you.

That's exactly the same car that I bought in 2018, looks lovely. To give you an idea of prices, I paid a bit more, 2k, than your paying for this car.

You'll love the car, see if you can get hold of a DSC module, they come up for sale on here quite often but do get snapped up quickly. It's the best money you can spend on an upgrade and simple as anything to install.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back