Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cost of running a 997.1 Turbo over 6 years.

If it makes you feel any better, the depreciation on my 2014 Audi S3 cost me 20k in four years when I traded it in.
That was without any service costs or fuel, & 16k on the clock.
The first & only new car I see myself ever buying.

T8 said:
CL121020LHSide.JPG

Its still a handsome looking thing! 8)

Interested to know if you think the OPC warrenty saved you money or not? Of course it brings peace of mind regardless and every car is different, but did it save for you or not?

MarkC4S said:
Interested to know if you think the OPC warrenty saved you money or not? Of course it brings peace of mind regardless and every car is different, but did it save for you or not?

If anyone has had their money's worth out the Porsche Approved Warranty then it's T8.

He'll be along soon enough with a link or two with the threads documenting the £££££'s where the warranty saved him.

pzero said:
MarkC4S said:

If anyone has had their money's worth out the Porsche Approved Warranty then it's T8.

He'll be along soon enough with a link or two with the threads documenting the £££££'s where the warranty saved him.

Thanks pzero.

This post prompted me to update my warranty thread as it's just been renewed for the last time possible.

See --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=104133&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

OPC warranty worked for me although I had to go legal for a new engine via Financial Ombudmans complaint. I must have had £40k plus odd claims over first 59k miles up to 2014. Coolant pipes, 5 rads, clutch accumulator and slave (whole hydraulic system replaced after two attempts no fix), awd software patch.

This invoice is done at a discounted rate by Porsche Hatfield for Porsche AG and they told me they would have charged me circa £33k if I was paying myself. Note back in the day they replaced everything inc the turbos and exhaust with new items

Attachments

• 6vp3iiby_1024_798.jpg
    6vp3iiby_1024_798.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,392
Just to add 59k miles to 100k miles turbo has been faultless and a keeper I enjoy its softer confidence inspiring nature. 9e was my big spend really. Worth every penny for me having had from new sounds crazy but true. Thought i was spending £33k on a new engine anyway so did this with the money I'd spent in my head and saved a few quid 8)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b81_186.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b81_186.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,382
In February 2021

T8 said:
.......... After a lot of deliberation over the winter I have decided to keep the car for at least another 6 months so will incur the cost of a minor service and a full set of tyres. The existing warranty lasts until February 2022 so I'm anticipating no other expenditure in that time. How these items will affect my 'cost per mile' will depend upon how many miles Covid restrictions permit but I'm hoping to add at least another 4,000 so they shouldn't change much.

I'm pleased to report that my decision to stick was well rewarded. :D

A minor service in April, 2 front tyres and a nearside CV gaiter replacement is all that my 6,025 miles in 2021 cost me. :thumbs:

The car's just flown through an MOT and had a Health Check done at an OPC so, fingers-crossed, I'll get through 2022 for the cost of two rear tyres and not much more.

While I'm trying to work out the cost per mile on my 997 and while we're talking depreciation, lets talk Golf GTE...

Bought in 2018 for £22,500 after discount and £5k scrappage on old diesel Golf. Just selling now for £20,900 after 4 years and 33k! Given I've averaged nearly 200mpg and the first three years of services were included I think its cost about 9p per mile all in.

That is a shocking figure, it's also terrifying how much you've spent on warranty and repairs. One has to ask, if you're spending this kind of money, why not get a brand new car?

You could finance a 100k new Porsche car for £500 a month with a small deposit and get 3 years warranty and all services mot paid for.

I'm on my first year of ownership of a 997.1 (hartech rebuild) and so far I've spent about 3,000 but about 2000 of it was modifications, not repairs.

joshkbaker said:
That is a shocking figure, it's also terrifying how much you've spent on warranty and repairs. One has to ask, if you're spending this kind of money, why not get a brand new car?

You could finance a 100k new Porsche car for £500 a month with a small deposit and get 3 years warranty and all services mot paid for.

The biggest problem with that suggestion is that I couldn't justify spending £500 a month on running a 911.

My car's cost me about £17k in 7 years (£200 a month) and, if I was to sell it privately, depreciation will have been pretty much zero.

But you're paying more than £500 a month to run a 911 when you factor in everything you're paying...

Am I missing something?

You've paid £15,930 over 5 years (that's not including MOT and petrol).

that's 265.5 a month.

Then you have £200 a month too for your finance.

You're already very close to £500 a month on a 12-15-year-old car.
I appreciate you might just love the 997 (rightly so, newer 911's are a bit meh unless you go into the GT range).

joshkbaker said:
But you're paying more than £500 a month to run a 911 when you factor in everything you're paying...

Am I missing something? ...........

I bought my car outright 7 years ago and it's cost me an average of £200 a month to maintain since then. If I sold the car today I'd get my initial outlay back.

I could never have justified spending a further £300 a month to buy and run a depreciating asset.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back