Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo not boosting (Now resolved thanks to 9e)

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice.

All my investigations were just case it might have been a simple DIY fix, (it still might be simple I hope) and just to understand a bit about how it all works as well as understanding about possible common problem areas, I also happen to quite enjoy scrabbling about under the car familiarising myself with all the oily bits.

However as I mentioned its all booked in to be looked at by the professionals - its been a long wait (3 weeks)

......Ken over to you :thumbs: (I am booked in for this Friday)

Re: 997 Turbo VTG rebuilds

996ttalot said:
So to put the information out there, there is a major problem with supply of VTG parts. It seems Porsche has told BW not to supply at the moment.

Hi Ken, if someone was / is desperate I take it they can still buy these turbo's through the Porsche dealers?

apollokre1d said:
996ttalot said:
So to put the information out there, there is a major problem with supply of VTG parts. It seems Porsche has told BW not to supply at the moment.

Hi Ken, if someone was / is desperate I take it they can still buy these turbo's through the Porsche dealers?

That's what I have just had to do :sad:

apollokre1d said:
996ttalot said:

yes

DaveH911 said:
I am currently in the same position. The LHS turbo started sticking about a year or so ago, in fact the actuator mechanism was stuck solid. My Indy managed to free it up, giving me back full boost for a short period of time but then after several 'visit workshop' notices the same side was found to be leaking oil. After a bit of ringing around Turbo Dynamics down in Christchurch said they would have a look at it. I decided to send both down for possible refurbishment but after assessing them, they reported back on Thursday that both housings are completely shot and the turbos are beyond repair. After several phone calls, texts and emails it is now apparent that there are no refurbished or hybrids currently available anywhere in the country with some dealers advising that 997 turbo units have been on 'back order' for almost a year now with no date for availability on the horizon but my Indy has sourced 2 new ones from Porsche, so hopefully I will be back on the road shortly. My vehicle was registered in Dec 2006, so one of the earlier ones purchased in this Country but looking ahead there may possibly be hundreds of 2007's, 2008's etc requiring same shortly as they get to the same age/mileage.

What mileage has yours done ?

Regarding the mileage that the turbos are good for.

Looking through a copy of 911&Porsche World magazine ahead of the driving launch of the 997 turbo (May 2006).

It talks of all the new tech. the light weight body, aerodynamics and of course the new at the time VTG turbos.

about which I quote...

....the turbos are built from aerospace-grade metals and various types of 'unobtainium'. Don't ask because they wouldn't tell us. However if you are worried about longevity, then each turbo is guaranteed to last for 100,000 miles.

I have since scoured 'official' Porsche literature but can't find any mention of this guarantee.

I don't know whether Ken will give you his GT2 RS hybrid VTGS to replace worn 997.1 VTGS but I don't believe theres a massive difference in price between these and normal 997.1 VTGS especially if buying from OPC Porsche.

No brainer if you can swap out for GT2 RS hybrid VTGs. They're the biggest single performance differentiator on tuning packages over and above a map and exhaust. Promise car feels no different to a stock car in terms of drivability until you hit 3500rpm :devil:

Also I wouldn't be surprised if VW/Audi/Porsche stopping BW supplying VTGS as they know external vendors are tricking them up making 18 year 996 and 997 turbos as fast in a straight line as a new 991 GT2 RS, R8 and or Huracan Performante. Embarrassing for them to watch youtube clips of their latest and greatest cars having their doors blown of by 10-20 year old cars :grin:

I can't wait to have a go against a 991 GT2 RS at VMAX! I think it may pip me but only just if it does. Will post vid when I do run against one.

On the new VTGs for the 991 GT2 RS Porsche won't supply them without a chassis nos. Unobtainium. Don't even know the specs on them yet other than compressor wheel is 67mm. No other info as far as I'm aware.

New997buyer said:
^^^^^ interesting point. Out of interest how much do these cost? :?:
Sorry no idea as I bought whole package but pretty sure they're like a few thousand quid more than 997.1 VTGs. Nothing major in the scheme of things certainly when you consider the extra performance. Ken told me about £5-6000 for GT2 VTGs but this was 4 years ago when i had my package installed and GBP has tanked a bit since then against Euro.

JP_Turbo said:
chimp911 said:
Sticky actuators is a fairly common problem (happened to me twice) and if it is this then a bit of high temp lubricant should free it up and off you go - a decent OPC would do this free of charge... good luck :thumb:

Any suggestions on what brand to go for with this high temp. Lubricant?

Cheers

Sorry can't help you there as I always had my local OPC take care of it. As far as I'm aware you just need something that can withstand the very high temperatures. If it's something more serious as Ken is suggesting then you might be needing a different kind of lubricant :oops:

Hope you manage to get it resolved soon, and relatively painlessly... :thumb:

To the trade, GT2 turbos (RS are identical!) are actually slightly cheaper than std .1s.

It's the location of the turbos that is the issue, the bearing housings corrode.

The reason for availability was a ***** up at the BW factory, any they do have are going to Porsche direct. Once the supply ramps up again, normal service will resume.

Imran, 67mm is the exducer size which has very little relevance on power/flow, it is relevant to the pressure ratio they can run. GT2 and 997 both have the same exducer for example, but the GT2 has a 45mm inducer compared to the non GT2 at 43.5.

Mezgerite said:
To the trade, GT2 turbos (RS are identical!) are actually slightly cheaper than std .1s.

It's the location of the turbos that is the issue, the bearing housings corrode.

The reason for availability was a ***** up at the BW factory, any they do have are going to Porsche direct. Once the supply ramps up again, normal service will resume.

Imran, 67mm is the exducer size which has very little relevance on power/flow, it is relevant to the pressure ratio they can run. GT2 and 997 both have the same exducer for example, but the GT2 has a 45mm inducer compared to the non GT2 at 43.5.

I know mate. Does anyone know the spec on the hot side yet? Plenty of cars out there now. I can't understand how such a tiny difference on hotside makes such a big difference!

I don't yet, but it's probably got a larger turbine wheel. The housing is pretty large. I'm running some experimental turbos currently, albeit on non GT2 but ported housings. The plan is to put larger turbine wheel after these are properly tested :)

Sorry to hear about your car Vlad & I hope all gets sorted!
I thought I would post here if I can help any fellow members out.
I know of 3 guys selling their OEM turbos.
Two of them have left & right turbos (they might split) & one has just the left one.
I know the guy selling just the left one has about 37k klms on it & used in southern Europe - so no salt on the roads, if it makes any difference.
If anyone is interested PM me & I can go and have a look, if there is anything specific that I should check - let me know, I can make a video of the turbos, get a price & go from there.
Let me know.
Cheers
Nik

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back