Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 disappearing FAST !

Marky911 said:
2K your figures sound ok to me.

Not knocking the other variants e.g. Tip, cab, 4wd but for some people (me included) only the manual, coupe, RWD will do, as per the original.

It is slim pickings out there. Focus the 996 search on a Mk1 which I did and it gets even harder. Then there are the rough ones, repaired ones, etc, etc.

964s still tug at the heart strings for me but aside from looks, the 996 does everything better whilst still feeling "mechanical" and involving enough.

I didn't warm to mine for a while due to coming from 964s and a GT3, but I'm really rather fond of the old thing now. Looking forward to summer.

True about things going full circle and eventually being cool again.
I saw an interview with JK (Jamiroquai) a few years ago where he said loads of collectors had now moved onto 80's stuff to add to their 60's and 70's stuff.

The sweet spot for me is probably mid 80's to 2005 with 1990 to 2000 being the decade that spawned most of my favourite ever cars. Born in 1977, I consider myself lucky to have grown up through the hot hatch boom of the 80's and then owning just about every fast 80's and 90's car I've wanted.
Autonomous motoring is getting ever closer and we are in the golden era for cars.
Like I say I'm chuffed to have been driving in this 20 year period that I have been. I think things will look very different in another 20 years.

The proudest moment in my 996 ownership came when Pothole/Cmoose pronounced my car (after a brief drive) to be 'not as ***** as I expected a cab would be, it's still a proper 911".

EGTE said:
Let's not forget that the 996.2 C2 is every bit as good as the 996.1 (cmoose forgot all about the e-gas once I'd sorted out the suspension) and it's got a 25% stiffer body-shell than the .1, as well as VarioCam Plus.

Of course it is, in fact it's better, as is every new version of a 911.

Dammit said:
I'm going to offer him a second drive when the car is finished, it'll be quite different to the one he drove last year.

This is the thing with reviewing old cars - especially sport cars - as they are very sensitive to how well maintained they are, especially their suspension. An awful lot of 996s (even good ones) have age related wear that can negatively affect their performance.

Overall, as I think we all know, the 996 was, and still is, a good car and with some love and attention is a great car.

Dammit said:
The proudest moment in my 996 ownership came when Pothole/Cmoose pronounced my car (after a brief drive) to be 'not as ***** as I expected a cab would be, it's still a proper 911".

Hi Neil, I can't get away with that guy and I don't really rate his opinion. That comment alone sounds typical of him. :roll:

Your car will be one of the most sorted cars out there now, so I'm sure it's great. As long as we're all happy with our choices, that's a win in my book.
:thumb:

PS. It must be home now is it? All good?

Marky911 said:
Dammit said:

Hi Neil, I can't get away with that guy and I don't really rate his opinion. That comment alone sounds typical of him. :roll:

Your car will be one of the most sorted cars out there now, so I'm sure it's great. As long as we're all happy with our choices, that's a win in my book.
:thumb:

I agree Marky, I've ridden in Neil's car since CG fitted the Ohlins and it's superb, I'll definitely be doing mine this year.

Fastlane, a clear point with your own car, exceptional colour or mileage will will always have a strong market. And your current and past cars being exceptional :puh:

Dammit, what to say :worship: Your car sets a new bar. Your mockery of big bills, makes some others crying about the thought of a rebuild of an old supercar look look rather meaningless. I'll try to approach my spend with same vigor!

EGTE, didn't know about the 25% stiffness that really is strong improvement. It was more to identify which horse will break loose first, with all others to then follow, and my guess based really on being first and rarity.

Whatever leads climb, one will. £9-11K 2015, £11-13k 2016, £13-15k 2017, £15-17k 2018... so on. And on.. :)

cmoose is "old-school", shall we say. :D

But he is a motoring journalist and does know how to drive. He is a champion for involvement and feedback over raw speed, too. So a lot of what he says resonates with me.

I'm not having a pop at him, I enjoy his writing and I think his opinions are interesting. I think he was genuinely expecting my car to be a bendy, wallowing bus- albeit one with brand new B4's all round/coffin arms/top mounts/etc (this was pre-Ohlins).

I suspect it wasn't to his taste, being at stock ride-height on stock cab suspension at that point, but the essential 911 character was there, which is what he was saying. Or I'm guilty of hearing what I want to hear, of course!

The car is now running at X74 ride height on Ohlins, and the roll that it had on stock suspension at stock ride height is a thing of the past, I'd actually be quite keen on a back-to-back comparison with a 996.1 coupe to evaluate how different the cars are to one another.

The 996.1 cab is (so I have read) stiffer than a 964 coupe, so it's not an entirely hopeless platform to start from (and no one can arrive at the hair-dressing salon faster than I can these days).

Marky911 said:

Weekend after next, all being well!

I've just asked the trimmers for their invoice so I don't have a repeat of the experience I had when paying for the bodywork, when the total figure was shall we say unexpected when I came to hand my card over.

There was a time a few year ago that i used to see so many 911's on the road, more so 996's.

Now, i hardly see any. Its very very rare i see a 911 these days, even on a hot summers day.
I see tones of boxters, but so rare now i see 996 carrera's.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cchrysos
Back