Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 for sale on porsche approved

That second car looks pretty darn good. As others have said buy on condition (my car has 153k on the odo but that didn't put me off. Only 3 owners which did swing it for me admittedly..).

The cheeky 911 badge, which is presumably from a 991, I actually quite like.
The previous owner has obviously enjoyed making a few visual tweeks such as the gear gaiter insert (I think that's non-standard) and uprated speakers.

I still can't believe the prices dealers are asking though. I paid 19k for mine 18 months ago but privately. With no inspection. Having not done any research. :what:

Anyway get stuck in as YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Well I nipped into Ruddington to have a quick look at the car as I was passing.

It was ok but nothing special at that money and would need some work to put into good condition. The service history seemed to stack up with a stamped book apart from a gap early in it's life when it missed a couple of years and roughly 18000 miles .

It looked like it's had a bit of paint around the scuttles and the front one may need checking again. The most obvious problem was the front pu looks like it's had a slight knock and the wheels didn't look quite right. The interior had a tear on the rear seat back and the rib of the drivers seat.

They a selling as a SOR and I got the impression a deal could be done, at the right money it could be turned around but it's needs some love.

zingari thanks for the comments on the odo etc and agreed on difficulty of trying to find the right car with colour/no. of owners/mileage/price and i will probably have to settle for 2 or 3 of those criteria and I've got no issue with budgeting for restoration costs vs buying something that needs no attention at all, as long as it hasn't been on its roof....as i am always of the opinion that mechanical stuff can be sorted but its a little harder to fix a bent chassis.

thanks mattyR and 153k miles with 3 owners on your car must be a fairly rare thing! impressive. agreed on dealer prices and 993 in general but bear in mind the car at the opc has been reduced from £46k to £40k, but i guess that is more a matter of it being unrealistic in the first place, i think opc's might be starting to entertain the idea of selling the older stuff themselves rather than offloading them via auctions or however they used to, trying to gain market share in the porsche classic servicing etc. As a further example Porsche Chester have a 993 Turbo on this link with 55k miles up for £116k. No idea how that fits in to current 993 TT prices as its way above my budget:
http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?cid=1

nimrod - many thanks for your comments on the ruddington car, much appreciated a few too many alarm bells for me on that one so will sit on my hands for now.

Nimrod said:
. The interior had a tear on the rear seat back and the rib of the drivers seat.

They a selling as a SOR and I got the impression a deal could be done, at the right money it could be turned around but it's needs some love.

See this is the problem ....... 'Needs some love'. I generally always buy cars that need some TLC, only because I then know that its all been done correctly. However saying that, the car needs to be more budget money to start with.

What's worse? A car that's lower mileage cost 45K and looks pristine but you have no real idea what the wears like on the chassis legs, under the paint on the scuttle or just tired (through age rather than mileage) suspension, or a 30K tired and needs 15K spent on her, but then when you've spent the 15K she's as good as she can be?

Personally I always go for the latter.

I reckon there might be a deal in the air for 'EGO' (who in there right mind would want a plate like that). I rang them about the car and it was quickly understood that they knew little on the detail. Like already said though, the plate would have to go :)

madalaa said:
carkid said:
Personally I'd feel much happier parting with cash for a car with 5 or 6 previous owners rather than 11.................

Sorry ...... that's absolute tosh as has already been explained in part ....... always buy ON CONDITION ....... that is all one needs to know ....... so the OP should act accordingly.

If you look at classic car prices at auction you will soon establish that cars owned by the same family since new or with a very low number of former keepers fetch a premium -fact- even if the car is a barn find in a terrible state. You may think it's absolute tosh to care about the number of former keepers but about 100 years of car auctions would determine the market thinks otherwise-fact.
It's fine banging on about solely buying on condition - but when you come to sell on the car most prospective buyers ain't looking for a 12 owner vehicle. If as you say buy solely on condition why not just buy a mint looking Cat D car and save a fortune? Provenance is obviously important.

Well we all have our opinions ....... there are plenty hereabouts who would not agree with yours.

We are talking of a twenty year old plus 993 model here that might have a lot of owners but I bet more than one or two of those owners were down to plate change.

Mileage I would agree does make a difference to price but really the number of owners should only be a minor concern and a concern which I would not be overly worried about.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would be more interested in a good file of receipts on work that has been done to the car and a fully stamped service book in conjunction with the overall condition of the car.

So what would you consider to be an acceptable amount of owners for a twenty year old car with say 80K on the clock?

You can safely ignore the descriprion on the Ruddington car, because those are not "factory upgraded 17" cup alloys".

Mind you, there are conceivably/potentially benefits to buying from someone who hasn't got a clue...not that I'd ever act in an unscrupulous manner 8)

Toby ....... you devil ...... ;)

Nice number of posts ....... :floor:

p.s. you have a PM.

I very nearly said "I've got the devil in me today", but figured that no one would notice the number and then after my next post it wouldn't make sense.

No new PM... though have been talking to Mohito, if that is what you mean?

Yes that is what I was sending a PM about ....... would be great if you could make it happen ....... :)

madalaa said:
We are talking of a twenty year old plus 993 model here that might have a lot of owners but I bet more than one or two of those owners were down to plate change.

Just to clear this up. A Plate change does not add to the amount of owners stated on the Log Book.

FWIW, I think mine has 11 owners. Does it affect the value of the car? Perhaps but how do you value the effect? It's 20 years old.

Focus on condition. I could see that with my own eyes, and the history file showed me OCD type previous owners.

Of course super low owner cars may hold some appeal, but beyond 2 or 3 owners I'm not convinced it matters as much.

It's also not like you have a huge choice of cars available to choose from it today's market, forcing you to choose from those infront of you, or sit it out and hope for better.

I always request the full history on my cars by completing a DVLA V888 form. It shows every form completed and submitted to the DVLA during the car's life - including plate changes, owner changes and even the hand written first registration form by Porsche. Lovely to have in the file and really helps to build a picture of the history. For £5 it's money well spent.

IIRC the form asks why you'd like the history. It's sufficient to say you are the current owner of the classic car and wish to complete the paperwork for your files.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

madalaa said:
Yes that is what I was sending a PM about ....... would be great if you could make it happen ....... :)

The real question for Tobes is, can he bear NOT to join us?

mohitos said:
FWIW, I think mine has 11 owners. Does it affect the value of the car? Perhaps but how do you value the effect? It's 20 years old.

Focus on condition. I could see that with my own eyes, and the history file showed me OCD type previous owners.

Of course super low owner cars may hold some appeal, but beyond 2 or 3 owners I'm not convinced it matters as much.

It's also not like you have a huge choice of cars available to choose from it today's market, forcing you to choose from those infront of you, or sit it out and hope for better.

I always request the full history on my cars by completing a DVLA V888 form. It shows every form completed and submitted to the DVLA during the car's life - including plate changes, owner changes and even the hand written first registration form by Porsche. Lovely to have in the file and really helps to build a picture of the history. For £5 it's money well spent.

IIRC the form asks why you'd like the history. It's sufficient to say you are the current owner of the classic car and wish to complete the paperwork for your files.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

i might do likewise!
i have every MOT and all the bills and history but that would be a good addition.

+1 on form v888, it's a nice addition to the history file. Great value, but can take a while- up to 8 weeks on one occasion for me.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back