Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 rust at wing/scuttle/bonnet seal - good bodyshop?

There will be plenty of decent bodyshops in your area, not just ones praised on the Internet, but make sure you find one that is familiar with 964s.

A bodyshop I have connections with do an OK job at a competitive price, but I wouldn't let them near anything decent.

They have a lot of a particular brand come in, from all over the country. When I asked them how, they said that there was a posting on the owners club from someone who was pleased with their work, and all of a sudden they have become "the best place in the country" for this brand!

Guess that's the power of the Internet! Problem is, you really have no idea about the standards people operate at. One mans great job is another mans bodge.

Ultimately comes down to trust.

I have pm you details of the good guys that do top work for your 964 with out the Porsche tax..... I do work for lots of bodyshops and get to see the good&bad..... :thumb:

Hi Fuch. Don't see the pm yet, but thanks!

Try now....out shopping with my 12 year old daughter ...ahhhhhhh :sad:

Fred
I should make a better effort reading posts.
For some reason I thought you were also having the whole car stripped back to bare metal and resprayed.
Therefore maybe 6k is excessive? Don't know.

Good luck. There are some decent bodyshops in Hertfordshire. I personally use a good friend in Wembley, who doesn't add the "Porsche tax".

Popped in to see one guy today (quite a big national chain). He said that if there's a trace of rust left (eg, on the wings, which I'm keen to save), it'll come back through in a year or so.

Is this right? I thought there were treatments to rust to effectively 'cure' it where it's not totally possible to entirely remove?

Hi it would need to be either ground back to shiney metal and primed or what looks more likely in your case cut out altogether, just because its your wing doesn't mean it couldn't be cut out and a new pice welded in? Or you could play safe and get a new wing for about £650, is this the only place the wing is rusty? Wot about where it meets the bumper? This is where my wings were rusty but the metal is thick and the guy who painted it was able to sand it back to nice clean metal. But yes if you just rub it down and paint it without removing every trace of corrosion it will be back in a couple of months!

Ps my dad used to say the only thing you can do to get rid of rust is trade it in or cut it out!

Ian

Tip of iceberg the wings IMHO. The rail they hang off and all the mating edges underneath will be worse than any 'bump' that's left all it's rusty mates behind and found it's way past that area, eating through the metal of the wing to the surface and nudging up from under the the paint

Allow for a wing, and then allow for what's underneath when the wing is off, then there will be no tears.
:thumb:

On my 3.2 I looked at fibreglass wings for a while. Some guy I bought some bumpers off had them on his 3.2 and they looked great ALSO he had stripped and braced the front and moved the petrol cap under the bonnet so both wings were smooth, this sounds like a minor thing but it made the car's lines look so clean....

...that's the trouble with cars, one minute I needed a wing, then next minute I 'needed' some track based motorsport conversion.
:?

Lovin all your help guys. Thanks.

Know what you mean about 'needing'. I originally thought this was an £800 repair, now I'm in the realm of thinking a £6k full bare metal respray is perfectly normal.

We must all be mad!

fredthechippy said:
Lovin all your help guys. Thanks.

Know what you mean about 'needing'. I originally thought this was an £800 repair, now I'm in the realm of thinking a £6k full bare metal respray is perfectly normal.

We must all be mad!

Slippery Slope, we're all going down so fast I'm surprised we aren't all going "Weeeeeeeeeeee" :grin:

I know a very good one man operation in Hemel; a decent bodyshop in Frogmore (they've done several '64s) and the once that Citori used for his 993 (in Whips Cross).

Cool - can you put me in touch with the hemel guy?

For those interested, a wink over £2k quoted, and he's convinced she doesnt need new wings.

Hoping to get some pics and will post up here.

Thanks for all your help folks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back