Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 SC Value?

Lavazza

Spa-Francorchamps
Long time since I've been on the forum since selling my GT3. I've been missing the old aircooled kit for a while too...

By chance a friend is being tasked with disposal of several cars due to a bereavement.

One of the cars is a 911SC which I might be interested in at the right price. I'm yet to see the car (will do so on Friday), but I'm wondering what constitutes a good price these days and would welcome advice.

Details are:
1979 Coupé
138k miles
Minerva Blue with Black leather interior, manual G/Box
Cookie cutter wheels, no spoilers
Good condition throughout (for age), but not concours;
Some cosmetic 'crazing' on the bumper, a small dent on a door, and a couple of other fairly minor things.
No modifications from standard
The car wears a nice plate (ending in 911T)

I am yet to see the history of the car, but the owner was known to be careful.

On face value, what would be a good price to pay for the car?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry I can't help with the valuation, but welcome back.

Older 911s seem a lot of fun. I've got myself a 964.

I hope you don't mind a bit of rust!

Pete

Hi Mark

I'm no expert on Pre 993s but have been looking at some SCs, so I'll pop down what I've noticed.

Privately cars like the one you describe (which sounds nice btw) are £11k and upwards. There was one recently for sale at £10k with a lot of work done and several hundred thousand miles under it. Dealers seem to sell them for more but most are up privately. £10k is about the money I think.

SCs are a bit of a minefield because of the bodywork they may need. You can't see all the rust. If you fancy a bit of fun they look great. Especially spoilerless! Get it checked is my advice. Good luck!

+1 on a body inspection, by someone that knows them, and be 100% aware of the costs.
:thumb:

Also, if you have not already, have a drive, there is quite a difference between the G50 box of the later 3.2's and the 915 box in the SC and early 3.2.

The debate between the two is almost akin to the watercooled/aircooled debate.

There is no right answer.
:D

Thanks guys - I'll keep you posted as to how I get on with it.

I agree that the bodywork is the primary aspect. If it passes my first inspection (will see it on ramps) then I'll get a friend with expertise in 70's 911's to check it out, and may go further and get a full professional inspection. It doesn't need to be concours, but I do want to be able to enjoy without nightmare expenses. It's a good excuse to unearch my stock of Porsche books and do some research anyway...

Cheers

Mark

Hi mate,

I recently P/X my 1980 SC for a 3.2 Supersport. It had 132k on it, fully restored 5 years ago and the dealer gave me 10k for it.
Good ones are well hard to come by, as the dreaded rust tears them apart.
Definately a decent investment IMO.

Good luck

Update on the SC...

Managed to get to see the car today. It was superficially scruffy, but original (no max power mods), apart from an aftermarket radio which I guess most cars will have.

Bills for 18k of work including a full repaint and engine rebuild - I didn't go through the bills in detail, but much of this spend was during the 90's.

There were some rust bubbles at the top of one of the B posts, and slight bubbling visible on the outer sill. There was evidence of a repair near the aerial where the paint blend-in wasn't brilliant. The offside door didn't close as flush as it should, although this may just be an adjustment issue.

There was no rust apparent around the sunroof drain holes, and inspection of the front luggage area under the carpet showed no rust and no evidence of any accident damage. Tools and spare wheel present and correct.

Interior was perfectly presentable (quite nice in black leather) and would come-up like new.

Overall - this wasn't the car for me. I sensed that there would be further bodywork repairs required, and for me I would have kept spending on odds and sods which would doubtless mount up, but that's just what I'm like.

Overall, I would say the condition was average to good for it's age, and probably worth the 10k asking price (may be a bit of a bargain at that). Personally, I'd rather pay a few k more and get something in much crisper, cherished shape, but that's just my view.

If anyone's interested in the car I can provide contact details.

Cheers

Mark

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back