Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

300K Done.

ELA said:
What a magnificent achievement ppbb and a great write up. Thanks for taking the time sharing this with us :thumb:

Absolutely :thumb:

[url="http://s1111.photobucket.com/...niallgately/Mobile Uploads/image_1.jpeg[/img][/url]

Saw another high mileage 996 posted recently. Not quite in this league but impressive and reassuring nonetheless. 300k is a phenomenal mileage for such a thoroughbred tuned high performance 300bhp engine defined for everyday use. Sometimes, with all the talk about Metzers and the air cooled era in the Porsche press, you'd think Porsche (the feet legendary Pirsche!) bought in budget engines from Kia, bored it out a bit, stuck some ancillaries from a 1980's Skoda Favia onto it, glued a couple of extra cylinders on and rebadged it M96. The truth is very different. Flawed or otherwise (as are all great heroes!), the performance figures, the way if drives, the authentic flat six character and the longetivity of the vast majority of them tells another story, one that is curiously overlooked in a the media. By the way, the interiors never did fall to bits either.l as predicted.
Having said that, more and more cars are entering the plus 100k mile zone and for anyone buying or maintaining, putting a bit of money into them is the order of the day. Not as a reflection on reliability as tends to be the media angle and the perception but just as one would do with any aging classic by any marque. They deserve it!

scutler said:

I think that could be a great buy for someone. The seller is right in that the seriously high mileage will narrow down the potential buyers a hell of a lot and the price reflects that but to those in the know, and who may be interested in getting an engine rebuild (not because it needs it now but because it'll just make it brilliant for another 168k miles), and maybe a paint refresh to address the chips etc you've got a really nice classic example there. Potentially a 100% car for mid to high teens.
We are obsessed with mileage. Can't avoid it but a brilliantly sorted/restored car with 200k on the clock shouldn't be a problem. They're not made of skin and biotissue!

scutler said:
Anymore high mile ones knocking around.....?

I'm 80 miles short of 202020 in my 997 c2s and have a 400 mile trip planned tomorrow. The car had a engine rebuild at 193000 but she's perfect otherwise

I love to read posts like this. A fantastic testament to German engineering.

Great to hear, well done! Be great if you could get it to 500k!

Bit of an update as I've had chance to give it a quick once over today.

Used 660ML of oil, a bit of which will have falled out the RMS! Used 200L of fuel give or take. No coolant and nothing else to report really. With a wash and a quick hoover out it's ready for the next one.

They really are fantastic bits of kit and people don't give them enough credit for being able to do things like this. A C55 or C63 is most peoples obvious choice for long distance but with fuel consumption of 14 - 15MPG at 120MPH they are pretty useless, stopping for fuel every 200 miles is not a quick way to get anywhere! Plus things like wheel bearing sizes are way better for sustained high speed use on the 996 than they are on many other things.

People avoiding high mileage cars are missing a trick I think. Even a low mileage car will need a fair amount of work these days to make it as good as it can be just because of the age of them and a well used 120K mile+ car is four or five thousand cheaper than a low mileage example. £5K is sufficent budget to properly sort it and if you aren't planning on ever selling it who cares what the odometer says :D

For me, even now, there is nothing I can buy that does what this car can as well as it can. I'd need to put £15K into a 997 ontop of buying it to get something that was comparible and then the cost of spares etc. are more than the 996 plus I think an early aerokitted 996 is a good looking thing. The 997s just don't hold the same appeal to me.

Odometer readings are for panic merchants who flap everytime something different happens!! Them days of cars being rubbish as the miles grow are well any truly dead as the British motor companies.

I dumped your snap on the 996 group on FB today. Got the odd like :lol:

popbang_zpsgwqtyfg4.jpg

poppopbangbang said:
Bit of an update as I've had chance to give it a quick once over today.

People avoiding high mileage cars are missing a trick I think. Even a low mileage car will need a fair amount of work these days to make it as good as it can be just because of the age of them and a well used 120K mile+ car is four or five thousand cheaper than a low mileage example. £5K is sufficent budget to properly sort it and if you aren't planning on ever selling it who cares what the odometer says :D

For me, even now, there is nothing I can buy that does what this car can as well as it can. I'd need to put £15K into a 997 ontop of buying it to get something that was comparible and then the cost of spares etc. are more than the 996 plus I think an early aerokitted 996 is a good looking thing. The 997s just don't hold the same appeal to me.

Do like those early 996s - test drove a few before I bought my 997. My car had 96k miles at purchase but the condition was superb - still got it at a reasonable price - whatever thT is nowadays. I spent the money I saved on sorting the car to the way I like it. Went a bit overboard but it was already a "keeper". Might not get to 300k as I work abroad during the year. Like both the 996 & 997. Can't say that about the 991 (it may grow on me).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back