Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil consumption - hartech re-build

Alfred996c2

Hi guys - I know this is a common thread but I am struggling to find a sensible answer.

My newly built HArtech engine (4k Miles) appears to be using quite a bit of oil - circa 1 bar every 500-1000 miles on the digital guage. Manual check backs this up.

Does each engine have its own character, or is this of concern? No leaks, no performance issues, no smoke etc (unless very cold outside - engine is warm yes, and on full 6k rpm blasting)

Only thing to note is tappet noise is loud on cold start and since the oil service 1500 miles ago, oil is still clear and clean.

Thanks guys

Have you asked Baz's advice?

Not yet, I didn't have the re-build undertaken so just wanted to get general consensus first..... ?

I cant see "us" having a better insight than Baz tbh

Fair point - I will give them a call on Monday, in the meantime if anyone has any thoughts on the above I would be grateful

To be clear, on the drip stick it has gone from Max line to 8/10 of the max line

Thanks

A single 'bar' on the digital gauge is 0.25 litres.

1 bar consumed every 1k miles equates to 4k miles per litre of oil.

This is more than acceptable, and if you don't do more than 4k a year, with yearly oil changes - you'll never actually need to top up.

1 bar every 500 miles is still not too horrible, but at a usage of 4k per year you'd top up with a litre bottle once.

Once you get to using 4 bars in 500 miles then you're in difficulty.

This^^^

I have read your reply which indicated that you did not have the rebuild done yourself, so my question is how many miles had it done since the rebuild ?
My reason for asking is it is immperitive that the running in is done using plenty of revs, not laybouring the engine but using it, as running it very carefully will glaze the bores and cause an oil consumption.
I am in a lucky position to have my engine rebuilt by both Hartech and my indy. and have been given this advice.
I look forward to Baz's reply.

Hi all - firstly thank you for the replies - I'll be calling the guys at Hartech tomorrow and look forward to updating you all with feedback.

I only recently purchased the car (Aug) and 2k miles ago, so I am still getting used to it. I wish someone would do a YouTube video of whats normal and whats not, would keep my blood pressure down !

I would be surprised if the gentleman before did not run the car in correctly but who knows, certainly out of warranty and not his problem any more!

Anyway, by way of update, it appears there is a larger difference in the digital read to the dip stick - I added 500ml of of oil and it only added 1 bar on the digital, but taken the dipstick to the max line again..... (My drive is on a VERY slight incline, car facing down, bonnet first) does anyone know if that will be a higher reading or lower?)

Either way, the oil in car (Serviced by another V. well known business) has filled it with Mobil 1 0W40. I know Hartech recommend a different oil, and pending the chat tomorrow I will either get this drained and re-filled or wait out until the next service.

I've read a little that a lighter weight oil will burn faster if you drive (As the car is designed) so perhaps I am just stressing about nothing. I have a LWFW and aftermarket RPM Technic GTR exhaust, so there are all sorts of rattling, tapping, ticking noises - However, when you plug your head in the engine bay, it is purring without any issue..... wish me luck and thanks again for the feedback guys.

Happy Sunday

I forgot to add, I added 500ml of oil and waited 5 minutes before checking the readings.

I managed to speak with Hartech, but very much looking forward to Baz's response as I don't want to provide any detail which may not be accurate and cause confusion....

Some engines are noisier than other's; mine's been rebuilt and can be quite noisy at times...varies oddly? Goes well so I no longer worry...but did...
...enjoy your new car...

On my C4S the digital oil reading varies significantly if the car isn't perfectly level, both front to back and side to side. I haven't checked if this is the same via the dipstick. However when level both digital level and dipstick are consistent.

I thought Hartech's warranty clearly stipulated that you used the Millers CFS NT+ 10W50 oil?
Why not use what is recommended and stipulated?

Really good point.

1st - I didn't know when I purchased the car that it had 0w40 Mobil inside. The previous owner had a couple of years with the engine so can only assume it was an oversight. It was carried out by a very well known garage so perhaps they recommended it....?

2nd - Changing to what Hartech advise is likely the plan, as mentioned above, I have spoken to a member of the Hartech team, but I am keen to see Baz's response before taking action (Obviously the car has now changed hands and is several years old, so it is out of warranty anyway)

3rd - The car does otherwise run and perform perfectly, so I'm not yet having sleepless nights, although I would say, there is far too many scaremongers online. If I believed just 5% of what people suggest (I'm not saying this forum FWIW) I would have sold the car immediately....

Thanks again for the input, it is very helpful

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back