Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reflecting after my last proper drive of 2016.

the GT86 is a riot, got taken out in one on Donnginton this past weekend driven by an ex-racer. Super fun & didn't feel underpowered!

Nice write up Terry.

I've never driven a Turbo - perhaps its time for me to go for a test drive.... :?:

Osh

Shaoxter said:
KMA880 said:
Shaoxter said:
What's SORN? :dont know:

Are you serious...? :frustrated:

time to educate onself...
https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn
No I wasn't serious ;)
My post was more along the lines of why would you spend all the money buying and maintaining a nice car and not driving it 12 months of the year! :hand:

......... this is one very good reason ........ sometimes when you drive an old quite valuable car it is a better option ........ the amount of salt that is used on the roads these days is beyond ridiculous .......

ChassislegrepairSeptember2014067_zpsd70f224a.jpg

Nice words T8. I am looking forward to some more Euro adventures next year.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Nice words T8. I am looking forward to some more Euro adventures next year.

:thumbs:

I can't believe this was only 9 weeks ago.

A great write up Terry and I really should get around to trying this SORN process.

Shaoxter said:
KMA880 said:
Shaoxter said:

Are you serious...? :frustrated:

time to educate onself...
https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn
No I wasn't serious ;)
My post was more along the lines of why would you spend all the money buying and maintaining a nice car and not driving it 12 months of the year! :hand:

Because the roads are cold, wet and salty through the winter. Not ideal for an immaculate 620bhp sports car. Mine will be safely tucked away in my heated garage until spring. Then after a jolly good polishing, the showing off can commence :grin:

The SORN process has become so straight forward that you can put your car on and off the road at the click of a mouse, plus paying by D/Debit means you don't have to outlay £500 plus at a time then wait for a refund. Simples

Shaoxter said:

I thought it was something to do with 993s :roll:

So yesterday the C-Tek came off and the invisible tax disc went on.

I was pleased that 'Red' fired majestically into life - just as if she'd only been parked up the day before - and surprised that she didn't bellow any smoke at all given that I know the oil level was on the max line on the day she was SORN'd.

Had I missed driving the old girl over the last two months? No, not really.

Would I have done any of the 1350 miles I covered in the last 2 months in her instead of one of the others ? Nope.

Did I enjoy my 35 mile cross-country run yesterday, despite the drizzly rain and busy roads? Hell yeah. :)

2017 starts here. MOT booked for Monday. OPC service booked for the 15th and after that another 6k miles in 911 heaven awaits.

Some people scorn those who SORN. The £85 I saved in road-tax will replenish my tank with V-Power - after I've had 300 miles of smiles. :dance:

A question about SORNing

Quick question...

If you SORN a car with, say, 6 months of tax left - does it just stop the clock until you take it off SORN - OR do you get a refund and then have to re-tax the car when you take it off SORN ?

Re: A question about SORNing

997man said:
Quick question...

If you SORN a car with, say, 6 months of tax left - does it just stop the clock until you take it off SORN - OR do you get a refund and then have to re-tax the car when you take it off SORN ?

When you SORN it you get a cheque for the full months left.

You then pay for 6 or 12 months when you re-tax it.

That's good to know. I wasn't sure whether you had to pay monthly (more expensive) to SORN at short notice.

I never intended to SORN but the amount I've been able to get out in December/January makes me wonder whether I should next winter.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back