Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2 Post vs. Scissor lift? One lift to rule them all!

CarPlebs

Trainee
Good afternoon,

So, after over a year contemplating on what form of lift to get. I have made a short list for two following 2 options (same cost options);
- mind you the garage I have has a low ceiling (2.6m) and is quite narrow (3.6m). And by using the lift I get an extra car storage spot.
1. 2 Post Lift (TW242GE)
+ classic, stable, higher lifting capability
- not portable, not movable, takes up allot of space on the sides
2. Scissor Lift (TWS3-10E)
+ movable, portable, more space on the sides
+ bottom of the car is more obstructed, max lift is 100cm

So, in short, I prefer personally the scissor lift as in the off chance that I will move, or change the arrangement of the garage. I will have the flexibility to more easily adjust. Price of the scissor lift is plus minus the same. QUESTION, is there anything that cannot be done on the scissor lift that could be done on the 2 post?
Examples;
- Engine / Trans out? max height of the scissor is 100cm (±40")
- Suspension work?
- Other?

I am attaching some renders I did in Blender to give a visual impression + a 996 on a lift

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 19.10.14.png

TrzqkAk.jpg

I am thinking the same as you as I only have a single garage but need space for 2 cars . the only issue I see with the scissor lift is can you get anything underneath it ?

I've got a small scissor lift like the picture. If I was to do it again i'd buy the quick jack or Kwik lift. Much more portable and can be stacked in the corner. I've basically lost half of my garage because the lift is in the way.

If you are going to buy a mid rise scissor lift, note the following:

Buy one with electric solenoids for the safety catches, then you won't need a compressor to operate them, it'll just wire to one button, easy.

Steer clear of plastic sliders, they crack and fall to bits

To get a car under a 2 post lift you need 3m clearance and you need to remove 1 wheel at least, if in a narrow garage you would need to take all the wheels off

I have had both variants and the 2 post lift is undoubtedly the better option but you need space which seems to be in short supply in your case especially height!
The scissor lift is a great option, hardly portable on a regular basis as you will need a substantial one to be safe and secure with the weight involved. The downside of the scissor lift is obviously height of lift plus very limited access to the middle of the underside of the car. For a Porsche, the scissor lift should generally be a good option if space is at a premium.

I have a midrise scissor lift and its been great - have dropped the gearbox etc. If I could, I would have a 2 post- but that would compromise my garage too much.
I use the scissorr lift platforms as workbenches when the car isnt in the garage. I just raise them to waist height. They are brilliant for this.....

As said above, mine are heavy - so not a quick move. The installlers used a mobile ganry to winch them into place. Also mentioned above, its worth getting a decent mid-rise that inclused the safet-lockouts that dont need an air compressor.

I have a midrise scissor lift and its been great - have dropped the gearbox etc. If I could, I would have a 2 post- but that would compromise my garage too much.
I use the scissorr lift platforms as workbenches when the car isnt in the garage. I just raise them to waist height. They are brilliant for this.....

As said above, mine are heavy - so not a quick move. The installlers used a mobile ganry to winch them into place. Also mentioned above, its worth getting a decent mid-rise that inclused the safet-lockouts that dont need an air compressor.
I have the mid height scissor lift, same as the one in the picture. As said above, make sure you get one that has the safety latches which prevent it from lowering. I’ve removed my engine and gearbox twice using it. No issues leaving it in place. I have 6 concrete breeze blocks at either end of the lift which are the exact height of the lowered lift. That’s where the wheels sit, and sport ramps onto the blocks.

I had a two poster many years ago.

Amazing if you have the head room. You can walk underneath the car.

However, if you don't then the bulk is wasted.

A scissor is perfect for limited height use-cases and folds flat.

loving the 996 renders (y)

We went for Car Display ramps in the end.

IMG_1696.jpegIMG_1697.jpeg

Were I looking to park one car under another I suspect a four poster might be the safer option for a fixed lift. A pal has that set up, though if the car on the lift has any potential to leak oil, some sort of undertray between the runners on the lift can be handy..

I guess a possible advantage with a two poster might be if you have ceiling height restrictions.... with the wheels and suspension dangling, the overall height of the vehicle from tyre footprint to roofline reduction might just make it work as the height required will be from the sill to the roofline, plus whatever rubber blocks might be used at the jacking points..?

Another of my pals has a flush fitting scissor lift which required digging out an area of the concrete floor . He thinks it was worth the effort. His scissor lift is occasionally used as an alternative workbench on occasion.

I have both types and there is no real different in the height, on a 2 post you have to remove a wheel on the top car to get another underneath unless you have about 3.5m clearance. I would always go for a 2

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back