Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic - oil change completed today.....

shaunpr

Monza
So having had the arts for my tiptronic oil change since November last I finally bit the bullet after getting some oil from ECP.

I have been on the fence for a long while in regards to the oil but finally figured that anything new has got to be better than whats in it at the moment.

So I went for the Gulf Multi Transmission oil.

Job from end to end took about 4 hours but thats due to the way I have to get it off the ground to get underneath it and lack of the right tool to fill the transmission back up and the time it took to warm up.

Total cost was £130 for filter and oil.

So my top tip for this is get a transmission oil syringe that has a 6mm tube for refilling.

I ended up filling about 100ml at a time and it took forever. Especially as you fill it once, then let the transmission warm up and fill it again, then take it thre the R,1 and 2 and then fill it again.

Yet to road test but going through the gears I had no clunks like I was getting before.

well done for doing it! :thumb:

Could you share your decision making process for the oil?
The LT 71141 specification is for the ZF gearbox, but I understand that the Gen 2 box is a Mercedes unit (Please correct me if I'm wrong?!) (And I have no idea what oil specification it uses, but I'd be tempted to go for a MB specification oil?)

also - how much oil did you use?
How much mess did you make? :p
Was it fairly straight-forward to get the sump off and filter out?
Was there much swarf on the magnets?
what condition was the old oil in?

And can someone please help me with my OCD??? :D
Maybe all these specifications are a bit "snake oil" and any old ATF fluid will do!! :hand:

Can't help with the oil spec as I had my tip oil changed by my indie. I can confirm that 996.1 tips have a ZF box and 996.2 have a Daimler/Mercedes box.

Some investigation and it looks like the oil needs to meet the MB-APPROVAL 236.12 or higher. (NAG1 - NAG2)
Something like Fuchs TITAN ATF 3353 looks to be the best bet - and apparently OEM for MB.

Within the Gulf specifications, it states that it's not compliant with the MB NAG2, but it is with Nag1, up to 236.11

So a bit of a question-mark over that one! :dont know:

Tip Oil Decision......

Ok,

So first things first........been putting off doing the oil for at least 18 months as all over the forums whatever I read was all doom and gloom about getting the choice wrong but no definitive choice has ever been posted.

Last MOT the tester said I had an oil leak from the box and recently Box had been getting really clunky.....you know the feeling you stop at a junction go to move off put your foot on the accelerator and 'CLUNK' and a jump and you move off.

Had an idea that the old oil had not been changed ever....so felt that whatever I put in has got to be better than the old stuff that was in it.

Researching I had read somewhere on MB forums that 236.6 was the spec of oil required as the stuff that meets 236.10 was thinner and for the 7 speed box.

What I have read NAG2 is for the 7 speed auto box. I looked at the specs for the Gulf ATF oil and it covers the following Daimler specs

I had called opie oil's after finding that Fusch 3343 was the 'OE' Oil, my biggest issue was that I had no idea how much I would need and at least with ECP it would be easy to take back what I did not use or get more easily with having to wait for it to be posted.

I checked the tech spec for the oil

http://www.gulfoil.ie/pdf/gulf-multi-ehicle-ATF (REF 2460).pdf

MB 236.1, MB 236.2, MB 236.5, MB 236.6,
MB 236.7, MB 236.9, MB 236.10 (NAG-1, MB
5 Speed 1996-2006), MB 236.11 (LT 71141)

Most notable is the MB 5 speed 96-06 and asked at ECP when I picked it up and they confirmed that it would be only listed if it was correct.

In total I used just over 7lt...

Will answer over questions in more posts.

Ok,

So first things first........been putting off doing the oil for at least 18 months as all over the forums whatever I read was all doom and gloom about getting the choice wrong but no definitive choice has ever been posted.

Last MOT the tester said I had an oil leak from the box and recently Box had been getting really clunky.....you know the feeling you stop at a junction go to move off put your foot on the accelerator and 'CLUNK' and a jump and you move off.

Had an idea that the old oil had not been changed ever....so felt that whatever I put in has got to be better than the old stuff that was in it.

Researching I had read somewhere on MB forums that 236.6 was the spec of oil required as the stuff that meets 236.10 was thinner and for the 7 speed box.

What I have read NAG2 is for the 7 speed auto box. I looked at the specs for the Gulf ATF oil and it covers the following Daimler specs

I had called opie oil's after finding that Fusch 3343 was the 'OE' Oil, my biggest issue was that I had no idea how much I would need and at least with ECP it would be easy to take back what I did not use or get more easily with having to wait for it to be posted.

I checked the tech spec for the oil

MB 236.1, MB 236.2, MB 236.5, MB 236.6,
MB 236.7, MB 236.9, MB 236.10 (NAG-1, MB
5 Speed 1996-2006), MB 236.11 (LT 71141)

Most notable is the MB 5 speed 96-06 and asked at ECP when I picked it up and they confirmed that it would be only listed if it was correct.

In total I used just over 7lt...

Will answer over questions in more posts.

Tip Oil Decision......

So it looks like my long response will not post correctly.

I shall be concise.

The 996.2 is a MB box so after seeing many posts on the subject on 911uk I wondered over to the MB forums to see what I could learn.

From the research on both it seems like the crucial spec to look for was 236.6. Fusch 3343 seemed to be the one to go for.

I called opie who confirmed this, but one of my biggest issues was how much do I buy, how easy is it to get hold of more if I need it, etc etc....

Then in the last week of driving with the satellite delay in accelerator to motion and it causing a 'discussion' with the mrs who said I pulled out into traffic too late I had enough so just wanted to get it done.

Work was busy and I had no chance of sorting the oil so I checked what ECP had knowing I could take back whatever I did not use.

Choice of QX or Gulf, at least the Gulf mention Daimler and the spec sheet ticked the right boxes and surely it must be better than the old oil in the box.

Glad I did as I bought 6lt which was not enough so had to pop back out to them and get another 2lt. Sods law it used another 1.1lt.

Will answer your other questions seperatly

Halcyon said:
Some investigation and it looks like the oil needs to meet the MB-APPROVAL 236.12 or higher. (NAG1 - NAG2)
Something like Fuchs TITAN ATF 3353 looks to be the best bet - and apparently OEM for MB.

Within the Gulf specifications, it states that it's not compliant with the MB NAG2, but it is with Nag1, up to 236.11

So a bit of a question-mark over that one! :dont know:

From what I understand NAG 2 is for the 7 speed newer box which uses the thinner oil and on the Gulf spec sheet it specifically says this is not suitable for that box. But it does mention the 5 speed box (NAG-1, MB 5 Speed 1996-2006).

So ticked my box
http://www.gulfoil.ie/pdf/gulf-multi-ehicle-ATF%20(REF%202460).pdf

Halcyon said:
well done for doing it! :thumb:

Could you share your decision making process for the oil?
The LT 71141 specification is for the ZF gearbox, but I understand that the Gen 2 box is a Mercedes unit (Please correct me if I'm wrong?!) (And I have no idea what oil specification it uses, but I'd be tempted to go for a MB specification oil?)

also - how much oil did you use?
How much mess did you make? :p
Was it fairly straight-forward to get the sump off and filter out?
Was there much swarf on the magnets?
what condition was the old oil in?

And can someone please help me with my OCD??? :D

Maybe all these specifications are a bit "snake oil" and any old ATF fluid will do!! :hand:

Can't help with the OCD, see separate post for oil decision.

I used 6.1lt in total.
Most of my mess was from not having the right tool to fill up with....which I now have after getting a 99p pressure sprayer from Poundland and drill a hole and adding some tubing.

It was fairly straight forward to get the sump off and on again, make use of the clips on the coolant pipes to move them out of the way. The old filter came away with the sump pan.

Having a tray underneath caught the oil from the sump when I took it off and I kept it there while I cleaned the sump pan up to catch any drips.

The magnet had a little bit of swarf on it all small particles.

The old oil did really did look like water as it came out.

Note: The pan does have some notches that make the new seal stay in place so you don't have to fight with it.

I will post a picture of my home made filler, the key is to have a piece of flexible hose that is no more than 6mm in diameter.

I really appreciate your posts and the effort you've put in to investigate the oil specifications etc!! :thumb:

Did you get the Gulf multi ATF from Euro car parts? 4Ltr is currently £23.44 inc. the offer discount - that compares to £11.95 a litre for the Fuchs 3353... :eek: I might get some while the never-ending "DFS" style sale is on.

Last question: where did you get the filter and pan gasket from?

Looking forward to seeing the photos! :)

Can I just ask out of curiosity is it the same box in a Gen 1 997 Turbo?
Only reason I ask is that I had a check done on the car and was told there was a slight weep from the gearbox, which might mean I need a new gasket and hence an oil change and I suppose a filter as well.

easternjets said:
Can I just ask out of curiosity is it the same box in a Gen 1 997 Turbo?
Only reason I ask is that I had a check done on the car and was told there was a slight weep from the gearbox, which might mean I need a new gasket and hence an oil change and I suppose a filter as well.

According to Gulf Oil - no. There must be some differences with the 2006 -2010 Turbo as the oil capacity and the change interval is different to the 996 C4

Halcyon said:
I really appreciate your posts and the effort you've put in to investigate the oil specifications etc!! :thumb:

Did you get the Gulf multi ATF from Euro car parts? 4Ltr is currently £23.44 inc. the offer discount - that compares to £11.95 a litre for the Fuchs 3353... :eek: I might get some while the never-ending "DFS" style sale is on.

Last question: where did you get the filter and pan gasket from?

Looking forward to seeing the photos! :)

Thats correct got the oil from Eurocarparts....they are getting to know me well in the store.

I got the gasket, filter and new crush washers from design911, but after my experience with opc in colchester who helped me with some roof parts I needed which included free delivery I would use them next time. Of course you do get 5% off with Design911 by mentioning 911uk.com

Or even Porsche shop, basically who ever the cheapest for the original parts is the one I would go with.

Shaun

Should of done it sooner......

So today is the first day of usual driving after change the tip oil.

What a difference it makes, barely noticeable the change between gears, no hunting between gears when going up a hill.........

No 'Thunks' on kick down anymore.....

Just shows that these cars love to be maintained and the irony is I will get all the foibles sorted and then sell for a newer one.....

Hey ho!!!!!

Re: Should of done it sooner......

shaunpr said:
...What a difference it makes, barely noticeable the change between gears, no hunting between gears when going up a hill.........

No 'Thunks' on kick down anymore.....

While my symptoms aren't as bad as yours - it has the occasional downshift "thunk" and when it's cold, the change from 2nd to 3rd isn't as smooth as it could be - I'm pretty certain that 15 year old oil is going to be past its best! So I'm going to order 8Ltrs of the Gulf Multi-Vehicle ATF tonight :)

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jri
Back