Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Topping up the Tiptronic transmission fluid

queenmonkey

Trainee
I've a problem with my Tiptronic box at the moment - possibly the multi switch. Before I get to that I thought I'd check the transmission fluid level. I had the filter changed 1500 miles ago cars been lunging forward when put in D and backwards in reverse. Whilst the tip box is still in limp mode - flashing d and 4, I got it up to 35 c and put it into drive and reverse a few times. I then took the level plug out - transmission oil everywhere! Is it possible to 'overfill' these and that's what happened 1500 miles ago?

Having changed my gearbox oil so many times recently due to some tip issues, i can give some feedback.
The level has to be checked with the engine running, as this ensures all the oil is pumped around. If not then a litre will come out!
As the temperature rises, the oil level rises, hence the 35c spec. The best way I found was to plug a durametric in and monitor the gearbox temp. Second best way was to poke a wire thermocouple into the oil through the level hole.
As the temperature rises, say to 38C then more comes out quite quickly., the accepted range for checking is 35 to 40C, I do mine at 35C as it means there is more oil in the gearbox, so safer in case you ever lose any.
It maybe that yours was checked at lower temp so still comes out at 35 or your oil temp is higher than 35 and you are not measuring correctly. The only way can overfill is to fill up when cold and not let the oil warm up with the level plug open.

How are you measuring the temp? if you measure the metal sump temp, this will be lower than the oil temp, hence your oil will be too hot.

timm996 said:
Having changed my gearbox oil so many times recently due to some tip issues, i can give some feedback.
The level has to be checked with the engine running, as this ensures all the oil is pumped around. If not then a litre will come out!
As the temperature rises, the oil level rises, hence the 35c spec. The best way I found was to plug a durametric in and monitor the gearbox temp. Second best way was to poke a wire thermocouple into the oil through the level hole.
As the temperature rises, say to 38C then more comes out quite quickly., the accepted range for checking is 35 to 40C, I do mine at 35C as it means there is more oil in the gearbox, so safer in case you ever lose any.
It maybe that yours was checked at lower temp so still comes out at 35 or your oil temp is higher than 35 and you are not measuring correctly. The only way can overfill is to fill up when cold and not let the oil warm up with the level plug open.

How are you measuring the temp? if you measure the metal sump temp, this will be lower than the oil temp, hence your oil will be too hot.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back