Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whale Oil Beef Hooked

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Yet another tale of confusion over oil levels I am afraid.

After running the car for a few years with, what I assumed was a knackered oil level sender, as it never went much above the red segment, I eventually changed it out for a genuine new one yesterday. Simple job and as the level of the oil was below the sender hole I didn't even have to drain off any engine oil.

Anyway, I warmed it up properly today to top up the oil.

After adding a bit, checking the dipstick, glancing at the dash in the hope the level guage would be inching upwards etc etc I found that the level had to be about three quarters up the twists to register anything noticeable on the dial. When the level was at the top of the spirals the dial read half full. The best I can hipe then. However, if I look down the neck of the oil filler I can see the level!!

Is this normal?

A few years ago I had a blow back incident when I filled it to the top, so I am considering syphoning a bit out just in case.

Any anacdotes or advice welcome.

JanIMG_7450.jpegIMG_7451.jpegIMG_7447.jpeg

I think the first thing you need to do is ensure that the dry sump thermostat is opening and that the radiator in the front is getting warm. Not sure about seeing oil through the filler neck, there should be a plastic extending filler tube that makes that difficult.

Also, as an aside, what type of oil are you using?

In addition, was the oil cooler fan running at that temp shown in your pictures?

I don't think I have ever seen my oil level gauge higher than about halfway even when I know the oil level is high on the dipstick

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back