Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hand Brake

JonCam

My 993 hand brake is not working properly. It either needs adjusting or it is sticking somewhere.

Does anyone have any advice please. Can I get at the linkages and cables for maintenance.

Thanks

The handbrake is not the greatest - even when everything is perfect.

You could try following the adjustment advice from the workshop manual but if you want to do it properly....

Best thing to do is jack up the rear, remove the wheels, calipers and discs to expose the internal handbrake shoes and mechanism. Strip and meticulously clean everything then lubricate the appropriate parts and remove any glazing from the shoes with abrasive paper or similar. Reassemble and adjust according to the workshop manual.

In common with all drum brakes reassembly can be a bit tricky so take pictures and notes of where everything goes before you start.

If there is still a problem you may have seized cables and I'm reliably informed these can be a swine to change as the outers tend to be rusted solidly to the backplate.

993 Handbrake

Many thanks.

What is the best Workshop manual to get?

I have just bought the car so am new to 993's.

Thanks.

You can try this:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83451

Or order a knock off copy on disc from one of the many eBay vendors.

The PET parts list which has many useful drawings is available for free download from Porsche website. This is essential for any self-respecting classic Porsche owner and a great way of wasting many happy hours.

Hope you get the handbrake fixed.

As above
Soak everything in wd40 before you attempt to remove it
Get a good screwdriver fit on the disc bolts
Get new calliper bolts
Be careful pulling the cables out of the guide tubes
These sit inside the hubs, and are £70 each
It's all straightforward, just takes patience
When it gets too you, because all the springs keep pinging out on refit, walk off and have a tea
Handbrake lever end is also fiddley
Put a few drops of engine oil on the inner core of the cable on refitting.
Clean the rear plates up and hammer ite in smooth black.
Get the car up high, and well supported on jacks, and leave the wheels under the car I case it falls on you
It's f cking scarey under a ton of engine
It's also not cheap, the cable cost, and the guide tubes cost a fortune.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
N13LVV
Back