Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997 owner - pse issue

p1ryk said:
I went and bought the vacuum relay from opc for around £15 and the exhaust note is now changing when i hit the button or disconnect the plug. The difference isnt huge though so I am thinking the actuators may not be opening fully, is this a reasonable assumption? When you guys refer to go through few "cycles" what do you mean exactly?

Nearly there!

RYan

OK so now you have the part in you are back to stock. That means that when the engine is off or the PSE on and you doing over 4000rpm the flaps open. Given your fault then your flaps may not have been opened for some time. So to cycle the open/close just hit the button and blast the car through the 4Krpm and back a few times. OR remove the switch to the relay. You should be able to feel a pressure change with your hand from the inner tips if you remove and replace the relay cable a few times which would have the same effect as the drive.
I am happy now but will probably go buy the part. Was it 996.605.123.01?

It is not advisable just to bung the pipework.

You are better to get a new vacuum distributor (change-over valve) and disconnect the actuator signal line (brown plug) if you wish.

Cycling = turn on run turn off the following: ignition, driving (up and down rev range) and button toggle.

Yes that is correct part number.

So I cycled through and then had to go out when I came back I tried the button and now, as before, there is no difference, had a look and it seems the new change-over valve is now no longer working, ie its creating a vacuum regardless of button or connector being connected. Must be something causing the changeover valve to fail?

Welcome

anyway welcome to being an owner. Hope your enjoyng the car despite the exhaust note... it goes just as fast quiet or loud!

have fun

p1ryk said:
Yes that is correct part number.

So I cycled through and then had to go out when I came back I tried the button and now, as before, there is no difference, had a look and it seems the new change-over valve is now no longer working, ie its creating a vacuum regardless of button or connector being connected. Must be something causing the changeover valve to fail?

My understanding of the changeover valve is that there is an input from the vacuum pump and an output to the PSE actuators controlled by an electrical circuit / switch / relay whatever you want to call it. If you disconnect the cable / power then the valve is closed off - so no vacuum passes from the pump to the actuator. Mine like yours has failed as I get a constant vacuum on the line to the actuators. In order for the relay to fail it must get stuck in the open position. My first step would be to disconnect and reconnect the valves without the power cable and see what you get. If both still fail then reconnect the power cable and see if they close off. Lastly return the part to your dealer as faulty and repeat the process with another new valve - do not connect the power cable for a few days (if ever at all) that way your valve should never get opened and should never get stuck.

You'll like this, PSE operation.

Technically a GT3, so actuator and valve placement is different, but then you wouldn't be able to see it otherwise!

Same principle, though.

Excellent video GT4 very informative.

As my second change-over valve seems to have died I am struggling to understand why putting a bung in the hose would have the same effect as the valve being permanently closed? Surely when its closed its acting just like a bung?

Do you mean the vacuum distributor (change-over valve) or the valve actuator ("hats")?

I'm thinking of putting a bung in the line as it comes off the change over valve, will this impact anything other than the hats?

May I ask why?

Why not just have a working vacuum distributor (change over valve) and do the brown plug mod?

99660512301.jpg

Having put a brand new one on today for it to fail after a few cycles I'm thinking there is something in the system making it fail so will only happen again the next time. I guess I could put a new one on and never connect the brown plug so it can't fail. Is this the nest bet?

I worry that someone has already bunged your system:

pg_0047.jpg

Have you checked the "hats" for free movement?

If they work you are better spending £20 on replacing all the pipework/y-pieces and having a working system you just choose to not operate (brown plug mod).

But I can feel the vacuum when I disconnect the hose, it was working fine briefly while the new change over valve was operating correctly

OK.

But something isn't fine if the COV gave up the ghost, unless it was a dodgy COV, in which case see two posts back and get your brand new COV exchanged as it was obviously duff if there is nothing else wrong in the system.

Just trying to get to the cause by a process of elmination.

The aim is not to eliminate everything otherwise you must have gone wrong somewhere! (and I don't have access to your car).

The issue is you want to mess as little as possible with the pneumatics of the PSE system (in an ad hoc Heath Robinson sense) and you definitely want to get to the bottom of any breaches or seal failures as the system takes the vacuum from a splice into the brake boost vacuum system.

So lose that and you have severely underassisted braking.

Do not mess with this system.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
N13LVV
Back