Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

window lift & drop on entry

J4YPJ

Hi can anyone give me an idea of where to start looking? My passenger window drops and closes only when the alarm is armed and disarmed the rest of the time its stays at the 20mm door open position. I have tried the window learning function with the switches but the passenger window doesn't fully close with the switch. Its really annoying driving with the passenger window slightly down! :?:

On my Beetle cabriolet window issues can be caused by bad micro switches in the door latch mechanism,not sure if it's the same for the Porsche 🤷"â™‚️

It certainly is. There is one which detects the handle lifting and causes the window to drop which often has problems. There re something like 4 in there in total.

MC

Has it been out in the rain a lot? If so my bet would be on the outer door handle micro-switch. I'm also betting you don't have the rubber seals on the door handle either and water is getting in there.

Could be the window regulator or micro switch. Does it try and drop a little or none when you pull handle? Does it go back up or not at all when you close door? Any extra noise when you lower and raise window?

Mine was just the regulator on the passenger side despite being a low mileage car.

"TYPICAL FAULTS

All these microswitches can be problematic, and it is common for one or more to fail at some time. These are some of the common failures and symptoms:

1) The door window won't drop when lifting a handle. This is usually the handle microswitch which has failed.
2) The window drops, but goes back up when the door opens, or when the handle is released. This can be the handle microswitch, or more likely the 'door open/closed microswitch' ( c ) has stuck. Because the system thinks the door is still closed, it sends the window back up.
3) Door window won't go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the 'door open/closed microswitch' ( c ) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won't allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn.
4) Door will not lock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (d) is broken. This is very rare, as this microswitch is hardly ever used – most times the car is locked by remote.
5) Door will not unlock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (e) is broken. This is also very rare, for the same reason.
6) Door locks, and then immediately unlocks, usually accompanied by a double-beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door locked' microswitch (f). The locking motor physically operates the door lock, but the microswitch to sense this has failed/stuck. The ACM promptly unlocks the car. In this case, the only way to lock the door is to use the emergency locking procedure. Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back three times in quick succession.
7) The door unlocks, but there is a beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door unlocked' microswitch (g). Although the door is unlocked, the ACM has not recognised that. The alarm will not sound, as turning the key in the lock has deactivated it."

To give you a cost idea, i Just replaced the drivers latch on my 996 turbo, in a futile attempt to fix the central locking fob (it was the fob, not the latch) as the ECU recorded a micro switch fault

Was about 165 inc VAT from Porsche for the latch and my guy took an hour to fit it - didn't need the new inner membrane I had also bought, as he didn't have to fully remove it the way you do if doing a window regulator

I just warmed mine up with a hairdryer to get any moisture out of it. 7 years and never let me down since.

HMG66 said:
Could be the window regulator or micro switch. Does it try and drop a little or none when you pull handle? Does it go back up or not at all when you close door? Any extra noise when you lower and raise window?

3) Door window won't go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the 'door open/closed microswitch' ( c ) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won't allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn.

This is exactly what is happening but if this was the case wouldn't the door ajar light be lit on the dash?

Try pushing your outer door handle in by hand when the door is shut and see if the window goes up. The handle gets sticky over time and sometimes doesn't go fully in.....thus not closing the micro-switch. Try it and see if its that.

Alex said:
Try pushing your outer door handle in by hand when the door is shut and see if the window goes up. The handle gets sticky over time and sometimes doesn't go fully in.....thus not closing the micro-switch. Try it and see if its that.

Will do :D

Took mine apart some weeks ago while getting the driver's door repainted and it's not too bad. Removing the entire handle is a bit fiddly and you need to make sure the shaft from the lock cylinder that actuates the door lock with the key goes in properly.

The microswitch itself is really easy to change. It's attached to the exterior handle but can likely be done in-situ without removing the handle.

Thanks everyone for your help its sorted now, turns out it was the microswitch on the interior release handle. Happy days! :thumbs:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back