Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which Porsche would you buy ~£50K - Asking for a friend

Maybe it's a company car :dont know: :grin:

I think he should get a 993 for the aircooled experience. I am sure he will get one in budget if he is patient :thumbs:

It's a tough one right now. No GT cars available for that value, this seems to be a thing of the future past sadly.

Driver focused:
I'd say find an extra c.£10k (on top of the extra wiggle room you mentioned) and get a 981 GT4 or
C.£60k 997 CSR

Residuals:

993 if you can get the right one, but will probably need some money spending in maintenance now or in the future
997 GTS

Not a lot else available really. Would rule out a tiptronic personally, so I guess the next question would be, whether a PDK is in the mix or not.

As for a targa, I only really like the 991 targa, and feel it's built to a level of it not affecting the ride, or being a wallowey rattle box, but I'm speculating on the earlier targa's. Strange I like them, as I'm not the biggest 991 fan either.

Still, with a 997 already in the fleet it's a nice problem to have.

Would they be inclined to 'improve' it, if so you're going to be spending a lot more over time. If they can accept it in its original condition, then fair enough but knowing your friend, I think he'd be partial to subtly improving it... therefore, could be an impact on residuals.

You can make the rear suspension independent on a 964, just need to chuck cash at it.

Alex said:
Think this may be sold now but you never know. Would this be out of budget? Might be some room to manouvre on the asking price:

United Kingdom

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125627811133
That's quite pretty, especially with a colour change.
MaxA said:
I'm a bit confused by the brief, but it appears to be somewhere along the lines of a 991.1, a 997 GTS, a 996 GT3 (can you get one for 60k? I've no idea), or a 993. Or maybe a Boxster or Cayman, as it's still a Porsche. Which will be driven but still needs good residuals.

But since your friend already has a 997, I'd suggest go air-cooled and go 993.
I'm not sure, as the 996 GT3 starts around £70K.
T8 said:
As 'your friend' obviously likes the 997 I'd suggest he sells his existing Carrera to increase his budget and starts looking for a nice Gen2 997 Turbo.
I don't think the 997 is ever going to go. 997 Turbo is probably looking one of the better options.
stichill99 said:
I think he should get a 993 for the aircooled experience. I am sure he will get one in budget if he is patient :thumbs:
Another very strong contender. Especially a Targa.
1marc said:
It's a tough one right now. No GT cars available for that value, this seems to be a thing of the future past sadly.

Driver focused:
I'd say find an extra c.£10k (on top of the extra wiggle room you mentioned) and get a 981 GT4 or
C.£60k 997 CSR

Residuals:

993 if you can get the right one, but will probably need some money spending in maintenance now or in the future
997 GTS

Not a lot else available really. Would rule out a tiptronic personally, so I guess the next question would be, whether a PDK is in the mix or not.

As for a targa, I only really like the 991 targa, and feel it's built to a level of it not affecting the ride, or being a wallowey rattle box, but I'm speculating on the earlier targa's. Strange I like them, as I'm not the biggest 991 fan either.

Still, with a 997 already in the fleet it's a nice problem to have.

Would they be inclined to 'improve' it, if so you're going to be spending a lot more over time. If they can accept it in its original condition, then fair enough but knowing your friend, I think he'd be partial to subtly improving it... therefore, could be an impact on residuals.

You can make the rear suspension independent on a 964, just need to chuck cash at it.
Absolutely has to be a manual. The GT4 is an interesting option, and perhaps worth the extra budget :dont know:

Think out of the options available, if it were me with this budget I'd be trying to obtain a nice 981 GT4 :grin:

adamw said:
Think out of the options available, if it were me with this budget I'd be trying to obtain a nice 981 GT4 :grin:

+1
work harder for the extra £15k :lol:

at 50K a 991.1 C2 or 981 Cayman S

He/She should drive both and decide which feels better for them

adamw said:
GT4 is a good shout, and warrants additional investigation I think.
TurboSandGT4 said:
I'd be trying to obtain a nice 981 GT4 :grin:
+1
work harder for the extra £15k :lol:

at 50K a 991.1 C2 or 981 Cayman S
They should drive both and decide which feels better for them
Corrected that for you :thumb: I suspect a little bias.

The 982 GTS 4.0 looks to be an interesting option for them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back