Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which oil

budflicker

Spa-Francorchamps
I spoke with the guys who recently serviced my C4s to check what oil they put in in case i need to top it up, so i can put the same oil in, they have used

Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W/40 Oil semi synthetic and having spoken to them they suggested this was a good oil for the car.

Now looking it up i can get 5ltrs for £28 in Halfords so it's quite a cheap oil

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/mobil-super-2000-x1-10w-40-oil-5l

Do others use this oil?

My car is a 2002 car so is on an annual service schedule anyway so it will be done at least once a year, maybe every 6 months as i really want to look after it.
So when it comes to an oil change do i replace with the above or do i use the more expensive Millers nanotech?
I'm quite happy to pay for the nanotech but what one???

this one is the same 10w40 and is even cheaper than the Mobil super
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-74220-millers-oils-nanodrive-ee-10w-40-semi-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

This one is twice the price and is 10w50 which is a lot thicker than the recommended oil for the car but ive seen some on here mention it?
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-73733-m...-cfs-10w-50-nt-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

But if i put my car details into the opie oils site it gives me this list, which contains none of the above.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2354-lo...71:0,98929:0,99167:0,122297:0&yearFilter=2002

Can anyone give me some guidance on whats best, the car is a 2002 C4S and has 76k miles on the clock.

I recently switched from Mobil1 5W40 to the Millers 10W50 Nanotech you linked to as apparently that's the oil which Hartech recommends.

The car keeps better oil pressure now, used to idle at 1 bar which seemed a bit low, now idles around 1.5 bar. No idea if it helps prevent bore scoring or not, but I'd trust Hartech's advice and research. Going with a semi-synthetic seems a bit miserly, you're saving £50 a year which is hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.

p.s. Opie had a 20% discount code for Millers oils, not sure if that's still running (voucher code = nanodrive)

Shouldn't it have fully synthetic in? Semi Synth is the cheapo stuff you'd put in your Transit van. Mobil 1 is a top choice, as it the Millers nano doodah stuff that Hartech vouch for. Someone will be along shortly to correct me I'm sure, but please check your invoice for the last service and confirm what they put in.

Shurv said:
Shouldn't it have fully synthetic in? Semi Synth is the cheapo stuff you'd put in your Transit van. Mobil 1 is a top choice, as it the Millers nano doodah stuff that Hartech vouch for. Someone will be along shortly to correct me I'm sure, but please check your invoice for the last service and confirm what they put in.

Now you see that's why I'm questioning it, it doesn't state on the invoice what oil but i have spoken to them twice to confirm and both times they have said the semi synthetic 10w40 mobil super. The garage is Porsche Torque who did the service as part of 911 Virgins prep on the car.

Being as the next London meet is at Porsche Torque I assume they are quite a good outfit?

I rang Opie to order 10w-50 Nanotech, guy I spoke to who seemed to know his stuff said the 5w-40 would give better protection so ran with that, his argument was that lower viscosity = more protection after cold start.

Presumably a 50 will give more protection at higher temperatures.

Yes, that's the one. Annoyingly they had an offer on with a vouchercode giving 20% off til recently- if you ring and ask them very nicely perhaps they would extend a similar deal for you if you promise to put a good word in on 911uk!

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=107034&highlight=oil

I got the kit with the 9L of oil and a filter.

Next time they service your car, ask if you can supply the oil. There's no way I'd stick semi synth in mine, it's a cost saving too far IMO.

Shurv said:
Semi Synth is the cheapo stuff you'd put in your Transit van.

Er no, but yes it will go in a transit.

My car has 125k+ - I use millers nano 10w40 nano semi and change every 6k. Previously I used castrol magnatec 10w40 semi which Hartec used to recommend for high milers - before as said now recommending miller nano.

One reason fully synth is used is because it lasts much longer than a semi or a mineral oil. Manufacturers can specify 20k+ changes. Usually comes in a 0wXX - its thinner so engines perform better in emissions tests and new engines with tight tolerances don't burn it. It does also perform better "under stress" - however, I don't track my car every day.....

Changing fully synth every 6k would be like pouring money down the drain to me - paying for the advantages but not using them. But hey, we own Porsches- pissing money away on snake oil (and n rated tyres / own brand batteries) is part of the "cost of entry" to this club.

Agreed- when I was clocking up loads of miles a while back in my last 4s the car was doing 12k in 6 months, so getting serviced frequently. My indy said there was no advantage in using mega synthetic oil given the frequency of the changes and the sort of use the car was having.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back