Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

which 996 battery

If it helps, I fitted a S5 010 Bosch Car Battery 12V 85Ah Type 110 S5010 from Tanya with free next day delivery. I know it may not be a recommended one, but it fits and works fine in a late 2004 C4S.

S5010 is more expensive and heavier than the S5008 but has greater capacity and cold cranking. It's also longer but, surprisingly, not as tall.

Since both fit, it's your choice.

I've just bought a Bosch S5 010 for my C4S from Tanya batteries. It was about as cheap as I could find and had fast free delivery, quite impressed!

Kersidan said:
I've just bought a Bosch S5 010 for my C4S from Tanya batteries. It was about as cheap as I could find and had fast free delivery, quite impressed!

Just done the same :) thanks for everyones help!

Hi all, new battery is next on my shopping list, was just about to order a Bosch S5010 on Amazon and it says it's not compatible with my car (2002/3 996 C4S).

Just checking please that this isn't the case and from the looks of the thread above it does actually fit...?

Thanks

I've just checked my car and the battery that's in there is the exact same size as the S5008. There is however an additional threaded hole in the tray to move the clamp over. I measured this and it is exactly the correct size (once moved over) to accept the wider S5010!

The S5010 has a higher Ampere Hours and also CCA, and although it's c. 40mm wider it's 15mm lower.

Am going to order one!

But what about all that extra weight? :grin:

Ah yes, but shouldn't be too much extra because although it's wider it's also shorter - just think of the lower COG..!!!

COG is probably the same due to weight increase.

I was joking. The weight difference probably wont be that much and not relevant to a relatively heavy C4S, I'm more interested in the higher Ampere Hours and CCA, the S5010 is also lower which will give a bit more room as it seems a bit cramped under the cover with the existing terminal clamps and cables.

I run the S5 010 in mine. The crank on it is better than the smaller one I had on before, I was a bit concerned that the cables needed replacing before swapping.

I don't even bother with the CTEK any more. I'm not convinced they are that great for your battery, unless you have a serious drain, as in the battery is flat within 3 weeks without one.

But at that point you need to look at what is draining it.

I would definitely look under the rear shelf as that was the favourite location for a tracker if anyone is having issues with it draining.

Thanks, mine drains down within a couple of weeks, hence me now replacing it.

I had the rear carpet up recently and had a nosey under the rear shelf and there was some electrical gubbins, just assumed they were standard. What, if anything, should be under there??

Thanks

There's relays and some other stuff depending on your model. Just do a standard drain test by going through each fuse in the footwell to see what's draining it.

DeMort has written plenty of posts on how to do it, including waiting 40 minutes for lambda burn out.

Space Cadet 8) I think you will find that as per this thread the S? 010 fits all the 996 range so you will be fine. I actually moved away from Bosch last time I needed a new battery. I bought a Yuasa as they have a similar guarantee and were cheaper.

I think as long as you have similar cranking Amps as the recommended battery (or more) and the dimensions (L.315mm ?? H ??)) you will be fine with any brand esp if it is on trickle charge.

Pip

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back