Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door locking issue

Alfred996c2

Hi all - for some reason when I unlock the car (it started with the passenger side) it doesn't unlock just the window twitches..... when I try to manually unlock, also the same issue. It only opens when I press and hold and retract the windows (then unlocks fine) which makes me think it might be an electrical issue.

I changed the car key and the issue went away, now today the issue has arisen on my drivers side.... I had just washed the car but can't think what it is.

I have fully charged the battery

(Ive looked online far and wide and can't find a resolution) any ideas?

Thanks all

Your post doesn't make much sense to me. What do you mean by "It only opens when I press and hold and retract the windows"?

Sounds like you may have got moisture in one of the door microswitches, but without a clearer explanation of what's happening, it's hard to say.

To clarify, I mean when I open the door on the key (push button) the window twitches up and down but the door handle does not engage the opening mechanism that allows to physically open the door.

Hope that helps?

Thanks

I presume you mean unlock the door on the push button on the key?

If so, get in the car, lock it with the push button, then unlock it and try opening the door with the internal door handle.

Thanks - and yes, tried that and you can't unlock from the inside either when it is playing up

Unlock or open the door - 2 different things.

that isn't particularly helpful. To open the door you need to unlock it. If I am in the car already checking from the inside the car is already unlocked.

If this thread is annoying you, please pass on it, I am just trying for some help

Sorry I'm not trying to wind you up.

What I was saying was - get in the car. Lock it with the remote. Then unlock it with the remote and try opening the door with the internal door handle. That will help diagnose what your problem is.

Not at all, just confused!

I've tried that and when the door is playing up the same issue persists whether I am in the car or out...

I have tried starting the car and then it goes away for a moment... (FYI it only happens occasionally so not something that is persistant)

It sounds like you've either got moisture inside the door and it's preventing a microswitch from giving a correct reading or your Alarm/central locking control unit under your passenger seat has got damp. I'd give all round your external door handle and door locking mechanism (the part that latches the door shut) a good blast with a hair dryer and also a good blast under the passenger seat too. Do one at a time and see if any of these improves the situation.

It could be time to change the door lock mechanism.

Just as I was about to sell my 996 the passenger door would not open regardless of which buttons i pressed or using the remote.

There are threads about this issue as it is a common one. I was in the position that the buyer would not have been happy and I could not get the door open at all.

In the end i took it to an indy who said TADH and strategiaclly slapped the door a few time and it opened. He then closed and opened the door a few times and then it jammed again.

I got him to change the lock mechanism. It was a 45 minutes job (once the door was open again) but because i could not get a lock from autodoc in time I had to buy one from Porsche.

The part is from a VW golf and are inexpensive so perhaps this is the route for you as it is no fun sitting in the passenger seat with the door jammed shut.

Or it might be something else

It could be time to change the door lock mechanism.

Just as I was about to sell my 996 the passenger door would not open regardless of which buttons i pressed or using the remote.

There are threads about this issue as it is a common one. I was in the position that the buyer would not have been happy and I could not get the door open at all.

In the end i took it to an indy who said TADT and strategiaclly slapped the door a few time and it opened. He then closed and opened the door a few times and then it jammed again.

I got him to change the lock mechanism. It was a 45 minutes job (once the door was open again) but because i could not get a lock from autodoc in time I had to buy one from Porsche.

The part is from a VW golf and are inexpensive so perhaps this is the route for you as it is no fun sitting in the passenger seat with the door jammed shut.

Or it might be something w

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back