Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What engine mounts are these?

here is what I have found in the book by Adrian Streather concerning the engine mounts of the 997...hope it can help!piero

Attachments

• engine_mount_1647601017_79303693_137.jpg
    engine_mount_1647601017_79303693_137.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,377
Thanks piero, that is really helpful.

I'm going to ponder my next move for this. At the moment my engine mounts only seem to be about 4-5mm lower on the passenger side so probably not an urgent priority (I need to get under and look for signs of leakage) but I do like the idea of getting the mounts replaced for some fresh ones for engine stability, future proofing and potentially smoother gear changes.

FWIW, I was curious so I popped out to the garage and found my old engine mounts which have the same '997/made in Czech' sticker as Ronyted, but without any of the stamped numbers. It's a 2010 9972 C4S.

Thanks for checking yours, MaxA. I suspect my ones were just the early versions that were used as mine is quite an early 997.1. If anything it shows they are still the original ones.

On the mod itself, there was nothing wrong with my old mounts (which came out in about 2016) but I really like the improvement in managing the mass with the RSS jobs. They're available if you or anyone wants them but probably not worth the postage ...

In the interests of closure... this morning I had my original 2005 engine mounts replaced with fresh OEM parts at my local indie. I wanted to keep with the stock versions largely to avoid extra Insurance costs. I had chance to see the old ones and they were definitely ready for replacement. The exhuast tips were a bit lower on the left when viewed from the rear and the rubber in the middle of the original mounts were perishing and the central bolt was off centre. I managed to get 10% discount from the Porsche Centre (who were already cheaper than Design 911) just for asking and then just 30 mins for the indie to fit.

I know it is only early days but even on the 1 hour drive home the car did feel more planted, no extra vibration in the cabin and gear changes felt easier, presumably because it was closer to factory engine position once again.

Strange isn't it? I guess it is each persons perception. I used to have a smooth idle and no vibration. I had worn engine mounts. Fitted new ( OE ) ones and I can now feel the standard un-smooth idle of the flat 6 :eek: I preferred the feel of the old worn mounts :D OK, under driving conditions it definately moves around less but even so ..... :?

jl-c said:
Strange isn't it? I guess it is each persons perception. I used to have a smooth idle and no vibration. I had worn engine mounts. Fitted new ( OE ) ones and I can now feel the standard un-smooth idle of the flat 6 :eek: I preferred the feel of the old worn mounts :D OK, under driving conditions it definately moves around less but even so ..... :?

Are you sure the centre bolt has not been over torqued?
New OEM mounts should not give any vibration whatsoever and help smooth out the ride.

I changed my mounts a few weeks ago and can't remember the actual set up of these, but many engine mounts have very specific torque settings, if you over tighten them you squish them too much taking out any 'suspension' from them, it is like putting in a completely solid mount.

I think these are 63ft/lbs from memory.

Hi all,

I know ive seen a complete break down of mounts over the years, now I need to replace mine - can I find said list, can I Feck!! :dont know:

I daily drive my car, so looking to keep it comfy yet compliant when I do give it some. I was looking into the 993RS mounts, however I now see more and more people opting to just renew with OEM.

If I went 993RS do I recall needing a longer bolt? Sure I read that somewhere. Or if I get any engine mount from 993 - 997 itll all be the same?

Thanks in advance, now to start shopping

It is a judgement call really. I went with original Porsche ones for a few reasons:

• I have the MO30 factory non-PASM suspension so my ride is already harder than average so did't want to introduce harder mounts with that
  • I didn't want to increase the list of items I had to specify to Insurance companies so struck with direct replacement parts
  • Confidence in the original manufacturer parts
  • They weren't actually as expensive as expected from my local OPC with a 10% discount

It is worth doing, my manual gear changes are definitely smoother/easier than they were before and the level of my exhausts after 17 years + 55k miles is back to normal again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back