Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Mount - Snapped Bolt

CallumC

Hello All,

What I hoped to be a relatively easy job of replacing the engine mounts, that were still the OE parts, has turned into a PITA!

After using heat copious amounts of penetrating spray and effort the elation of getting the main bolt off the underside quickly turned to horror when the rear passenger side 13mm hex bolt snapped after only coming out a few mm.

So far I think my best bet is to drill it out from the underneath, I have nothing sticking out to attach too and cannot get an easy out over it due to the coolant tank being in the way.

More of a rant than anything but any advice if someone has experienced it is appreciated!

Hi, watching your post for all /any response.
I am contemplating replacing my engine mounts and buying polyurethane bushes and also a gearbox poly bush.

Is the removal of the bolts usually a big problem.

Is the removal of the bolts usually a big problem

I think most bolts on the underside that have seen UK weather are pretty bad by this stage of a 997's life. The main 18mm bolt holding the mount to the support frame was very corroded but with heat and an impact driver came off. You replace all the hardware on changing the mounts so can be a bit tough with them.

However, Id say for the 13mm top bolts like my issue, to go slow and work them out as the bottom of the thread has essentially been exposed so depends on how much corrosion has travelled up the bolt itself. One of mine came out no problem and the other that snapped sadly was really rotten.

I have now drilled it out which was long, but should in theory be a simple job as long as nothing breaks for you

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back