Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

wellsy's 996.1 C2 Aero

I'd been on the look out for some big oval exhaust tips for a while but didn't fancy shelling out crazy money for new Porsche items. Finally a pair of EP4110 tips popped up on eBay and I snapped them up for the princely sum of £40!

Pea shooter standard fit:

7PJbP0I.jpg

EP4110s:

uVoYrl1.jpg

Still need final alignment and the clamps tightening but fill the cut out nicely and look much better:

ioPZ1Qk.jpg

Will get some better pics outside once I'm done.

I ended up removing the rear bumper cover to access the clamps holding the tips to the silencers so while I was in there I gave things a bit of a spruce up. Also fitted new foils (aka expensive Porsche plastic tape) between the rear quarter and bumper on each side as the existing foils had started to peel.

bqGnmCB.jpg

ANLbO2w.jpg

9UWaLYy.jpg

43lS2VS.jpg

When I purchased the car it already had a short shifter fitted. I was never really that happy with it and found it a bit imprecise with a fair bit of slack in the mechanism almost as if it was worn or perhaps hadn't been fitted well. I also found myself missing gears on occasion and it generally detracted from the overall driving experience. I'm not sure what make it is but looks like maybe B&M or the Ebay short shifters:

I2LZfnW.jpg

I deliberated over what to install in its place and eventually bit the bullet on one of these:

lOLK3tr.jpg

Ia6yXAd.jpg

Installation was straightforward with the help of a youtube vid to remove the centre console and the numeric install guide. I have the throw set on the middle of three settings and will see how I get on with it once the snow clears. First impressions just shifting with the car sat stationary is it feels super solid and really well engineered. Hopefully it's just as good on the move. Once I'm happy I'll get everything buttoned up and all the trim reinstalled. Oh, and I've removed the lower console gubbins in readiness for the GT3 console delete which I'll order soon from Porsche Tonbridge :thumbs:

Somehow I've only just found this thread - i also have white (Grand Prix) 996 aero C2 - can't be many of them about!

Lovely car and very happy to see Weiss gold on a 996 - I was at RPM for the day last month and they had a 997.2 RS White on Weiss gold and it looked lovely (Weiss gold mirror caps too).

Numeric install looks a peach :worship:

*edit* found the pic i took of that RS...

Attachments

• img_1490_184.jpg
    img_1490_184.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3,971
Thanks for the positive replies.

That RS looks beautiful. The dream right there. Gold mirror caps a bit much on a lowly C2?! :dont know:

I've enjoyed following your videos Rob so thanks for the effort you put in to them. Your car looks great with some lovely mods. Engine mounts will be something I look at doing soon, prob RSS like you :thumb:

The numeric looks fabulous.
Did you do the cables too?

I've got one of Alex's short shifter fitted and 2nd isn't achievable when cold and it needs more effort than I feel it should. I'll do the cables at some stage soon, possibly when the gearbox goes away for work.

Are you local to Tonbridge? I'm in Hildenborough.

Hi Hugh

No ive not done the cables - I'm still getting over the cost of the shifter! Hopefully the shifter on its own will give me what I'm looking for but will see once I'm able to get out on some decent drives.

I'm based outside of Ashford so not too far from Tonbridge. Have friends in Hildenborough so know it reasonably well.

Eventually got round to reinstalling the centre console including the console delete section which I sourced from Porsche Tonbridge. Had to wait a few days for the plastic trim in granite grey to come in from Germany but Tonbridge were best on price plus they delivered to me FOC so can't argue with that. Really pleased with the cleaner look it gives the cabin.

The other thing I'm really pleased with is the Numeric shifter which I've had a chance to put to the test. It's a joy to use with a beautifully precise feel to it that really adds to the driving experience. Just a shame it's now hidden from view!

Attachments

• img_20210406_130040_compress18_100.jpg
    img_20210406_130040_compress18_100.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,463
Over 7 months since I last updated this. Blimey!

Not a great deal to report to be honest. Car has been running nicely and always a joy to jump into providing a nice contrast to our daily drivers (BMW 5 touring and Tesla M3). MOT time came round again and happy to report she sailed through with no advisories. I also called upon the excellent services of Precision Porsche to undertake the minor service in October. Seemed criminal to dump the 1 year/1000 mile old Millers oil they put in at the major last year but nevertheless fresh NanoDrive CFS 10w50 NT+ went in. A couple of advisories picked up by the mechanic which I'll get done over the winter but nothing major. They also aligned my exhaust tips FOC as I had been struggling to get them right lying on my back on a concrete garage floor. Top service.

Over the summer the screen on my cdr-22 stereo failed. I do intend to get it looked at but in the interim I have put a Pioneer unit in that I have had kicking around for ages. The sound is pretty good in comparison to the Porsche unit and the looks aren't too bad for a modern-ish head unit. Still, I think I'll either get the original repaired if I can or go for a Continental which seem to be a nice alternative.

IMG-20210801-181844.jpg

I've also (after having enough of getting knocked on the bonce) replaced the bonnet struts with some replacements sourced from Autodoc for a great price. Easy enough to change and a satisfying small job ticked off.

Not sure what's next. Would love to investigate some bucket seats but funds have been drained by home improvements. We shall see.

I've decided to make a few interior changes so this lot has been boxed up ready to go off to Jack at Royal Steering Wheels for him to work his magic. Should be turned around in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to improving some of the touch points in the cabin.

PXL_20220110_180431806.jpg

I'm also planning on replacing the spark plug tubes so popped in to Tonbridge OPC to pick some up. They had this beauty in the showroom which I ogled over for some time. Absolutely immaculate 8)

PXL_20220110_143921396.jpg

PXL_20220110_144036587.jpg

Jack does great work so looking forward to seeing this!

also that ruby stone! :worship:

wellsy said:

Got my wheel and other bits back from Jack at Royal Steering Wheels. Super pleased with how they turned out and the service provided. Spec is 9040 black alcantara with white stitching. Also had the wheel thickened slightly. Feels great to hold and adds so much to the driving experience.

My gearknob also arrived today from Function First after a bit of a wait. Yet to go for a drive but it looks and feels great. Sure it won't be to everyone's taste but I like it so that's all that matters! Spec is delrin knob with white shift pattern and black aluminium shaft.

A few pics:

PXL-20220125-095909929.jpg

PXL-20220125-100002070.jpg

PXL-20220125-100027041.jpg

PXL-20220125-100118940.jpg

PXL-20220215-162325848.jpg

PXL-20220215-162522441.jpg

PXL-20220125-215855850.jpg

PXL-20220125-215500687.jpg

PXL-20220215-173247939.jpg

PXL-20220215-173303110.jpg

PXL-20220215-173709981.jpg

Like the shift knob. I have the black anodised rennline one, but it doesn't half get cold. Delrin would be a better option

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back