Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre advice

rkp666

My car: Boxster 987.2 2.9PDK 2011.
I want to replace front tyres on my car, replacing 'old' Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N4 235/40/18Y
What is the difference between Pilot Sport 2 and 4/5's?
Do I have to use N4 tyres?- as pilot sport 2 are what was OE back when car was made. What happens if I choose Pilot Sport 4's or 5's?

The rear tyres are not being replaced and are 265/40/18 Y Pilot Sport 2.
Is it guidance that they all are the same tyre manufacturer and model?

Advice welcomed. My car is weekend long journey car rather than track day.

How old are the rear tyres, my advice would always be to match brand and pattern wherever possible so for me it would mean either stay with the PS2 which is relatively old technology now or replace the full set.

The N4 PS2 is the fourth incarnation of the OEM homologated tyre for the Boxster, the PS4 & PS5 are much newer technology from the same stable.

You may see a benefit to changing to the later products but to be honest if you're using the car as a weekend cruiser any of them will do a great job.

I wouldn't mix them as compounds and construction will vary even with the same manufacturer so why risk upsetting the balance of the car.

PS2s are old tech now, even if N-rated; and now that the 4s have been superseded, I'd fit new PS5s all round.

Don't buy into the N rated bollocks unless you've got warranty as it may limit you getting the latest technology.
PS4S have been superseded now 5S but I had to get the former as they N rated and my car is under warranty :roll:

The Cup2 had to come off as they are more slippy (in the wet) than the Moody Blue leather in jonttt's 993 :what:

Thanks very much, the advice much appreciated.
After listening to advice from tyre technicians following my gut to match all round with ps2's
I feel comfortable that they are the tyre Porsche stipulated for the car.
However, fully appreciate there are different models that have been made also.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back