Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TOPGEAR PORTS SOUND SILENCERS - thoughts?

knw911

Silverstone
https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-996-carrera-sports-cat-back

Hey guys - need a new exhaust on my 996 Targa. On a bit of a budget as having lots of other work done at same time.

Garage suggested Milteks, but price is making it too difficult. The other option is the Top Gear Sports (the milds are not in stock).

My 996 is not a daily. It's a weekend fun car, and the louder exhaust I do not think will upset me (perhaps my neighbours) - but I'm ok with it being a bit of a pantomime in that respect.

Question is, has anyone here fitted them? Thoughts, reviews, feedback etc?

Don't want to drop £900 inc fitting on them if they are "wrong".

Thanks

£400 exhausts + £30 stainless fittings several years ago (don't use the free TG ones), it's a days labour, will involve some swearing and use of angle grinder.

I love the sound, not loud on idle so ok for neighbours, they may be a bit loud if you have 200 cell CATS though and boot it.

Expect a small amount of drone at 70mph in 6th, change down to 5th and the tone changes to a more sonorous note, 80mph in 6th is fine or wind the music up.

I'd recommend them, my C2 is a daily driver with lots of motorway and I'd buy them again but I mainly drive alone, on long drives with the missus you'll notice the extra sound but I've also done the HHZ delete and Cold air intake for a bit more of a raucous tone inside the cabin.

I have them on mine, they were on it when I bought the car. No drone and not too loud imo. I'm changing my whole system shortly, send me a PM if you like I might sell mine on.

I have new set forsale up for a deal as I have sold he car they are the switchable ones pm in interested

knw911 said:
Garage suggested Milteks, but price is making it too difficult.

The original system was shot on my car and the dealer, Northway, said it would be changed out for a new one. They put Miltek on saying in their opinion they are the only aftermarket system worth fitting as they encounter a lot of corrosion issues on the others. They thought Dansk especially has really gone down hill.

I find them superb. Not hugely noisy or droning, sound almost stock at low revs and tickover, and give a good bark at high revs.

A few different system sounds here:
https://youtu.be/ZTeYYQuUnGM

Flightrisk said:
knw911 said:
Garage suggested Milteks, but price is making it too difficult.

The original system was shot on my car and the dealer, Northway, said it would be changed out for a new one. They put Miltek on saying in their opinion they are the only aftermarket system worth fitting as they encounter a lot of corrosion issues on the others. They thought Dansk especially has really gone down hill.

I find them superb. Not hugely noisy or droning, sound almost stock at low revs and tickover, and give a good bark at high revs.

A few different system sounds here:
https://youtu.be/ZTeYYQuUnGM

Another vote from me for the Miltek, had the quiet topgear, didnt like the sound, added bypass (gundo Hack), still didnt like it, reminded me of a cessna plane, not nice.
Miltek sounds fabulous.

If your on a tight budget then the Topgear silencers are a great choice, if your cars a keeper then try and stretch to the Millteks, I had the Topgear silencers for three years, great quality and fit, at the time I was happy with the sound although perhaps a little brash and non Porsche sounding, not a direct comparison as I then fitted the Millteks as part of a full system but there's definitely more of a 'science' involved with the sound of the Millteks, the Topgear silencers were kind of just loud where as with the Millteks the accelerator acts kind of like a volume control, they are quieter when cruising yet have a wonderful cup car howl when pressing on, in short as you would expect for the extra cost you get more of an exotic Porsche sound with the Millteks.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Thanks for all the feedback.

If it was just the boxes I was paying for, I would go for the Milteks based on everyone's advice.

However, the overall bill I'm facing at the moment is £6.5k. It seems everything has come at once this year..

Brakes, brake lines, clutch, IMS, bump stops, arms, air con seals, .....etc

I don't see anyone criticising the Topgear fit and quality which is reassuring. From what I see is that the Topgear sound is a bit more "brash" whereas the Milteks is a bit more refined.

I think there is a £400+vat difference between the two (ish). Right now, I think that £400 is better spent else where .

Someone convince me to change my mind ahhaha

knw911 said:
Thanks for all the feedback.

If it was just the boxes I was paying for, I would go for the Milteks based on everyone's advice.

However, the overall bill I'm facing at the moment is £6.5k. It seems everything has come at once this year..

Brakes, brake lines, clutch, IMS, bump stops, arms, air con seals, .....etc

I don't see anyone criticising the Topgear fit and quality which is reassuring. From what I see is that the Topgear sound is a bit more "brash" whereas the Milteks is a bit more refined.

I think there is a £400+vat difference between the two (ish). Right now, I think that £400 is better spent else where .

Someone convince me to change my mind ahhaha

If I was you I'd definitely wait until I could afford a better system, you'll regret the topgear sound, at least from the quiet version. I have no experience with their louder version.

If your OEM factory boxes are in reasonable condition, I'd do the bypass (Gundo Hack) pipes, this will sound better and more porsche like than the topgear.

Have the IMSB checked and if it's ok, remove the seal. Spend the £ saved on the Milltek! 8)

I have the mils sport boxes on mine. I've had them for on for 40k miles/4.5 years now and the car is used daily in rainy Lancashire. I'll not comment on sound as that's a personal choice, but the build quality on these is excellent. I had them off the other week to fit new cat/back box sleeves and had them on and off in no time with no issues. Value for money build quality wise they're amazing & they're British made too - what's not to like? :)

PS: DANSK are the biggest bag of shoite ever!!

PPS: Don't waste money on an IMS bearing. Flip the seal and have done with it.

These were mine after fitting:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back