Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - Xtrons Double Din install

Update: My xtrons unit gave up emitting any sound a few months ago. Everything else works fine but no sound, making it pretty pointless :nooo:

Regardless of that though - the tech game is one big con and once you're 18 months down the road its obsolete anyway and developers cease doing updates.

So last weekend I bit the bullet and bought a new Xtrons head unit. Did this as they're only cheap for what they are and wanted as easy plug n play as I could get, so needed to be same size, sockets, etc. As usual, you can install any Apps you want: Waze, Apple car play, Spotify, BBC iPlayer, etc. Also has multiple inputs for various car gadgets - tyre pressure, OBDII, steering controls and so on.

Xtrons TSD700l - £149.99:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Androi...o-GPS-Head-Unit-SAT-NAV-WiFi-DAB/333050158639

https://xtrons.co.uk/double-din-android-10-quad-core-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-tsd700l

tsd700l-1.jpg

Will post any updates on issues, benifits, etc.

:thumbs:

Liking the looks of that
8)

I've previously been tempted by other double din units but I like the way this doesn't have a brand splattered across the front
So looks very OE :thumb:

Alex said:
Update: My xtrons unit gave up emitting any sound a few months ago. Everything else works fine but no sound, making it pretty pointless :nooo:

Regardless of that though - the tech game is one big con and once you're 18 months down the road its obsolete anyway and developers cease doing updates.

So last weekend I bit the bullet and bought a new Xtrons head unit. Did this as they're only cheap for what they are and wanted as easy plug n play as I could get, so needed to be same size, sockets, etc. As usual, you can install any Apps you want: Waze, Apple car play, Spotify, BBC iPlayer, etc. Also has multiple inputs for various car gadgets - tyre pressure, OBDII, steering controls and so on.

Xtrons TSD700l - £149.99:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Androi...o-GPS-Head-Unit-SAT-NAV-WiFi-DAB/333050158639

https://xtrons.co.uk/double-din-android-10-quad-core-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-tsd700l

tsd700l-1.jpg

Will post any updates on issues, benifits, etc.

:thumbs:

ALEX,

You probably haven't read my prject car post and the Audio woes. We are currently looking at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universa...sh=item4da24f8c64:g:FikAAOSwvMBd8ed0&LH_BIN=1 this unit and I believe it is the same one you were looking at. We don't have access to the kind of workshop and machines you have. Do you know of a facia trim kit that will work with this unit and possibly keep the cup holder?

Also when you relocated the AC unit to replace the CD Tray did that require any special machining?

Any advice is appreciated as we are about to do this minus the factory BOSE AMPS which were blown due to the vehicles electrical mishaps historically.

Cheers
Spart

The facia kit above also is available for the cup holder version. Search hvac on here and you'll see my thread on the relocation of that.

Alex said:
The facia kit above also is available for the cup holder version. Search hvac on here and you'll see my thread on the relocation of that.

Are you talking about the Connects2 facia? that needed a milling machine to make a decent job of it?

Cheers
Spart

Yes but you could proably do it with something else.

Alex said:

Are you talking about the Connects2 facia? that needed a milling machine to make a decent job of it?

Cheers
Spart

toddy2 said:
Excellent work, I wish I had the time and skills. Mines booked in for next Wednesday. After recommendations on here I've gone for the metra kit. Can't wait :D

I have ordered this kit also hoping it is less work than the Connects2 kit. How did it work out for you?

Cheers
Spart

Well we managed to get the unit in the car. I had ordered the Metra kit, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE! If you are intending to install an Xtrons HU or similar the Metra kit simply will not work without the kind of surgery that Alex did on his Connects2 kit.

After much dremel action we managed to get the unit to slide in as far as we could. The unit not flush as per Alex's install. The display sticks out. I will post pics tomorrow.
is
The other issue we have is significant engine noise coming through the speakers. No issue with the engine off. No issue with previous head unit, various test HU's.

As Alex said in his OP the unit comes with an ISO harness and all connections seem to match what the car is expecting. So should be plug and play.

We replaced the BOSE AMP with a BASSFACE 4.3 and used the stock wiring so all should be good.The connections were essentially identical. 30 & 31 and Remote plus the inputs and outputs.

Does anyone have any suggestions that immediately jump to mind as to why we would have noise with essentially identical wiring?

Cheers
Spart

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back