Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - 996 & Boxster convertible roof hack - speed override

Alex

Nordschleife
It's Friday, it's Sunny, Steve Wright's Serious Jockin' is on the Radio. There's only one thing for it - Serious Moddin'!

Ever since I've owned my 996 I've wanted to be able to lower/raise the roof in motion at low speed, something similar to what the Smartop ECU does, allowing the roof to be operated up to 28mph. I know I could just buy the smartop ECU but begrudge paying £300:

https://smarttop.uk/product/smarttop-for-porsche-911-convertible-996/

I knew there could probably be a way on modifying the speed input wire going in the ECU, so yesterday did some routing around on the internet. Turns out if you own a 986 Boxster it's a 5 minute job to do it and also free. Simply a case of removing the convertible top relay from the footwell and bending pin 18 to disable the speed input. Handbrake override can also be done, but personally I'd sooner just put the brake on one click and then use the roof, simply as a safety feature so no idiiot can press the top down button on the motorway and rip the bladdy roof off.

Boxster hack:

But it turns out the 996 doesn't have said relay as the ECU does all the control of various microswitches and motors. After more digging about and having a good gander of the 996 wiring diagram (copy of it on here):

Sheet 7 - http://www.911uk.com/docs/911_996_workshopmanual_wiring_1999_2000.pdf

They grey / pink wire going in top the top ECU is the speed sensor wire. Apparantly all you have to do is snip this wire and bingo - the roof can be operated at speed:

https://www.renntech.org/topic/38-how-to-raise-the-cab-top-while-moving/

I'm going to attempt it over the next few days and will report back my findings once done. I know I could go down the route and fit some sort of resistor in there to up the limit to 28mph from the current 4mph but seeing as it's only me that uses the car and I'm not stupid enough to try and use the roof above that speed I'll just snip the wire for now.

Last edited:
Hi Alex, I know you've been looking for a way to do this for a while now.
Great find, let us know how you go on :thumb: :thumb:

Just nipped down my unit for half hour to have a go.

GAME CHANGER!!!

I can't believe I've owned the car over 8 years and only done this now.

Did the snip, then had a drive round the business park to try it out. 15mph, handbrake on first click (so handbrake light comes on), roof activated with dash switch and hey presto - rolling roof manouvre.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The wire to snip - Grey & Pink:

w33IxZZ.jpg

Snipped (pre taped up):

qg7Xzjm.jpg

Warning: Do not try this mod if you are colour blind.

I might retro fit a sail and wire it to that. :grin:

Wicked.
Rear brakes are going to wear down fast when your posing with the roof on the move! :floor:

Very useful Alex - nice one. Just 8 months too late as I switched from a cab to coupe...

However, I do remember countless times when I was at the lights and thinking do I / don't I drop the roof... Your mod will make all the difference me thinks. :D

Interestingly, mine has had this feature since I got it. Someone must have figured out a hack prior to my ownership.

Now if someone could figure out how to get one touch raising and lowering. I hat having to hold the button in the whole process.

Good find Alex.

I only learnt yesterday that if I use the key to unlock the car and keep it in the unlock position it drops the windows and folds the roof down! Saves getting in a roasting hot car and sitting there melting whilst waiting for it to do its thing :heat:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back