Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So, I've got a knackered spare key......

ScoobyDoo555

Barcelona
I've searched the forum and it's quite a popular tile, but I was just hoping for any updates to options for getting it sorted....

I've got the key blade, and the immobiliser pill, but the key fob itself is dead.

Porsche Tewkesbury have got back to me with a price..... and I'll be honest, it stings a little:

Key head @ £143.30 + vat
Coding labour @ £75 + vat

So that's £261.96 for a spare/new key.

Is that still accurate or are there other options open to me?

I'm going to need the key head, as mine's FUBAR'd, and tbh, that didn't seem too bad in price. The labour is pricey though.

Surely Indy's VAG experts etc are now in the business of sorthing this cheaper...

Any advice would be welcome - even if it's, "Suck it up, Buttercup. That's the price" :D

It's all part of making my car as good as it can be for when I sell it :thumbs:

Cheers,

Dan

If it's just the rubber part where the buttons are that's not working,I bought a new part from Design 911 for around £15 a couple of months ago. Just clips on.

It depends on the particular fault obviously.

If the buttons are working and the led is flashing but the car doesn't respond then yes the only option is what the OP has quoted.

Honestly I'd just forget about it if it's a spare. My spare key doesn't work. My main one works perfectly though. As long as the spare physically unlocks the car and starts it, should your main key fail, then that's fine.

They just go duff when they're left sitting in a drawer for years. Even my Indy recommends the above rather than fleecing people for continual new heads and programming. Keep one working perfectly and keep a spare that physically works for emergencies. :thumb:

They're sh1te. That's the top and bottom of it. I've had 3 996s now and they've always had one key that doesn't work.

Marky911 said:
It depends on the particular fault obviously.

If the buttons are working and the led is flashing but the car doesn't respond then yes the only option is what the OP has quoted.

Honestly I'd just forget about it if it's a spare. My spare key doesn't work. My main one works perfectly though. As long as the spare physically unlocks the car and starts it, should your main key fail, then that's fine.

They just go duff when they're left sitting in a drawer for years. Even my Indy recommends the above rather than fleecing people for continual new heads and programming. Keep one working perfectly and keep a spare that physically works for emergencies. :thumb:

They're sh1te. That's the top and bottom of it. I've had 3 996s now and they've always had one key that doesn't work.

Yep that's it 🙄

My 2nd 996 I paid for sheffield porsche to do me a spare, nearly £400 sat in the draw doing nothing.

Keep the knackered spare, only repair it if you loose the other 👍

The spare is very much and emergency key for most I would have thought, I think they go out of sync if not used anyway so potentially yours fixed key becomes a broken key if you leave it in the drawer for a couple of years. Count yourself lucky your main key works, I'm coughing up £180 odd to finally get my remote working on Tuesday!

Thanks All,

Yes, my main key is currently working fine, but I've discovered that the spare is broken, hence the need for a replacement key head.

I could leave it as it is, but I would expect it to be an issue for any purchaser that while the car has a full set of keys, they're not all working.
It's all about making the car as attractive to the buyer :)

I'll look at the option, but if need be it's a trip to Porsche (hope I get a cuppa out of it :D)

Dan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back