Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Site has gone whacky on ipad?

I have to log in on every visit :nooo:

Good old crapple products. Everyone swears by them,( or at them),then they won't work on so many websites and you have to revert back to a laptop. Waste of money IMO, only good as photo viewers. :D :pc: ....................................waits for the inbound attacks!!

Doubt many would argue, but the fact* remains that despite their inherent failings crapple still offers the best/most desirable phones, music players and tablets...

FWIW I do find accessing this site on my iPad far from perfect, but it is still miles better than waiting the best part of an hour for my obstinate laptop to eventually boot up :pc: :pc:

*or rather an opinion masquerading as one.

Just downloaded crapple 8.1.2 and it seems to have fixed all the faults I was getting on here :pc: :thumb:

Just seen this thread.

The solution is to flush the cache.

Go into Settings and under Safari, Clear Cookies and Data (logins are preserved if you deliberately told Safari to remember, otherwise login is passive and loss of cookies will require you to re-enter credentials).

An OS upgrade will have the same effect as a side effect of the upgrade is to dump temp memory, but you don't need an OS upgrade to dump temp memory.

Waz said:
Just downloaded crapple 8.1.2 and it seems to have fixed all the faults I was getting on here :pc: :thumb:

Seems I was a little premature :oops:

Still have to log in most times :pc:

Tried what gt4 suggested, but no joy

I guess we'll have to wait for the site update :dont know:

I went through the update the other day only to get an error right at the end - it asked me if I wanted to reset my device to factory settings and then attempt to recover 4 years of wiped data it "may" have backed up :eek: sadly they hadn't thought to add a fork off option :pc:

It's a bit of a lottery whenever these updates come along - if successful it means just a few minutes of your time for an imperceptible change or full Llewelyn-Bowen camp makeover, but all too often it leads to hours of poorly supported recovery misery - since when was this considered acceptable practice :dont know: :wack: :frustrated:

Comments about Apple products is nonsense. Don't have any issues except this website. And since I started using Chrome (just for this site) the issue went away.

And those who don't want to use Google stuff because of the way they store info, well it doesn't matter which browser you use, they tag everything and you can't escape it, certainly not just by not using Google Chrome.

chimp911 said:
It's a bit of a lottery whenever these updates come along - if successful it means just a few minutes of your time for an imperceptible change or full Llewelyn-Bowen camp makeover, but all too often it leads to hours of poorly supported recovery misery - since when was this considered acceptable practice :dont know: :wack: :frustrated:

:yeah:

I used to pay a premium for Apple as I have no interest whatsoever in tech related activities. I just want it to work. Increasingly that isn't Apple. :evil:

isysman said:
Comments about Apple products is nonsense.

I think those who are unhappy with their products might disagree....

isysman said:
And those who don't want to use Google stuff because of the way they store info, well it doesn't matter which browser you use, they tag everything and you can't escape it, certainly not just by not using Google Chrome.

Even DuckDuckGo.....? :?:

They don't just track you by the search engine you use. I work in the IT industry as well as communications, so I have a clue about this.

Even if you don't use google browser, or google search, they can track because they tag websites, through their cookies, and even developing ways to track you without the use of cookies as most browsers allow you to block them these days. The information your computer or device gives out is unique, this includes, IP address, whetehr cookies are enabled, java, fonts, screen resolution etc. all make up a unique 'footprint' online. Check out this article I just found that talks about some of the stuff I've mentioned here.

http://qz.com/125470/google-can-track-you-without-cookies/

Check out this article, it explains how data is shared regardless if which browser you use or if you use google or not. Data from websites is shared, also any site that has google ads attache will send data. This is mainly to allow them to target adverts at you.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...panies-151-are-tracking-me-on-the-web/253758/

The next big thing is targeted local advertising. Apple, Google and a company called SkyHook (sounds like something from James Bond I know) are collecting data to identify where you are located. Remember the google scandal over collecting data in whilst mapping Street View data? That was related to scanning your WiFi being broadcast and pinpointing your broadcasting WiFi to a geographical location.

They have since then developed ways to pinpoint your location without needing to drive cars around by using the tiangulation of WiFi signals they already have mapped. If yours crosses known locations of other WiFi signals they can triangulate your location.

The people who started SkyHook realised on a business trip how using this method could allow them to create a massive database of people's locations and sell that information to third parties to target you will local adverts. Apple was one of their main customers until they started to create a database of their own.

Ever wondered why when you are in France, you are automatically forwarded to google.fr or in the US to google.com? Ever wondered how they know where your laptop/computer is when you don't have GPS on it at home? IT's because your Wi-Fi has been added to the databases of these companies.

This is from Skyhook website
"In 2003 we developed an innovative way to obtain location. Using Wi-Fi signals would be faster, more precise and battery-friendly than GPS and cell-towers alone. We foresaw the mass adoption and proliferation of mobile technology that would make our idea useful for every device on the planet. We got to work on collecting the locations of billions of Wi-Fi access points worldwide and building the infrastructure and software to deliver the information."

http://www.skyhookwireless.com

isysman said:
They don't just track you by the search engine you use. I work in the IT industry as well as communications, so I have a clue about this.

Er............I know.....I don't which I why I asked the question........? :grin:

So, does what you're saying include people who use DuckDuckGo? My understanding from their blurb is they don't allow Google to track you in any way shape or form. But from what you're suggesting that's nonsense?

What duckduckgo are saying is they don't keep your search results or sell them to third parties which is what Google do. The rest of what I mentioned is out of their hands I'm afraid. Not sure what else you meant.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back