Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'Selector Lever not Engaged' message

minny

Nurburgring
I need some help and advice with a problem I have on my 2004 996 turbo Tiptronic. My ignition key has been getting increasingly stiff to turn recently. When I got home this evening, put gear lever in park and turned off the ignition which killed the engine but wouldn't return to the stop to allow me to remove the key. I figured it was the 4B0905849 starter switch playing up so removed it to replace with a new one but even when it was off the steering lock housing, I couldn't turn the key to the stop to remove it. I put my finger at the end of the steering lock housing where the tab would turn the starter switch and it didn't move even when I twisted the key.
I then connected my new starter switch to the connector without installing it on the lock and used a flat blade screwdriver to activate it. I am able to turn the ignition on but immediately I get 'Selector Lever not Engaged' message up on the dash and the gear selector lights are not on. I cannot start the engine. With the ignition on I step on the brake pedal and brake lights are on but the gear lever button wouldn't press down to allow me to shift it. I have tried cycling the ignition on and off while pressing the gear lever button with no success. Fuse E1 is sound. I think I hear clicking near the steering lock when I try to press the gear lever button even though it wouldn't press down fully.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Given the fact the key was getting stiffer over time and the tab at the end of the steering lock wouldn't turn even when I turn the key , I wonder if it is the key barrel or steering lock that is faulty?

Just to update the forum, I replaced the steering lock which OPCs keep in stock and it's re-ordered automatically when they sell one. All is good now. The reason the warning comes up about the gear selector not engaged is because the lock is bust internally so the cable to the gear lever lock remains engaged.
The lock can be replaced in RHD cars without removing the gauges as advised in Wayne Dempster's 911 book.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back