Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RSJ Sports Cars

6 of the cars I've owned came from RSJ (2 caymans, 2 997s, 1 996, R8 )

The test drive policy isn't that surprising when you actually visit them, it's a PITA to get the cars out and you need to drive for a while to get on any decent roads to experience the car, so you can see how a lot of their time could be taken up with this. If you're really serious about a car and are about to buy it but want a quick go in it then they'll do it - just don't expect to turn up there early in your decision making and get a go in any car.

I'd buy a car from them without seeing it now.

Not driving a car before buying is the new norm in my opinion. Internet buying a car from miles away is the cause and you shouldn't worry about it, especially with the new consumer laws in place covering you so much more than they used to.....

I would have to question why anyone would say not to buy a car from a proven dealer like RSJ, it's almost like they work for the competition......

The no test drive policy I can understand. Especially on Porsches with the Rev range records. Too much risk to the car and potential resale value ... Client drops into wrong gear and potentially damages the value! Not everyone is respectful on a test drive and by the time the dealer realises, it might be too late.

Martian said:
A friend bought a car unseen from RSJ a couple of years ago, it was promised to be perfect in every way. Within two days it was sent back for remedial work and was there for about a week being 'remedied', clutch and water pump IIRC.

There was a thread a couple of years ago over on PistonHeads where Joel admitted to taking PSE's off of stock cars to put onto other cars if the customer so wanted one. Check the factory codes to see what the car left the factory with and what it should have.
Mine had to go back twice to fix " issues" that it should not have left the workshop with. I don't think they are as comprehensively checked as the make out to be....... :?:

Viewed a lovely 996turbo at RSJ about 5 years ago , wanted to buy it but was told "no" to a test drive ; found an even better one for sale not too far away , asked for a test drive and was told "sure". Test drove it , loved it , bought it ! Still have it today .

So thanks RSJ for your bad attitude , you actually did me a favour ! :)

RSJ are site sponsors or approved traders or whatever.

Why don't the mod's get them to respond to explain why they don't offer test drives and conclude the matter once and for all?

Instead of them getting slagged off and/or people guessing why their position on test drives is what it is :judge:

I would think that RSJ along with others take a certain amount of flak.

Spend your money, buy a Porsche from elsewhere then

What I do find nasty is sully a Company name

shabs said:
Fair point, plus the pse issue too.
I remember the thread on Pistonheads referred to above. I think RSJ did respond. Instead of clearing up the issue it just gave it a new twist and off it went. I believe the best thing for the dealer to do is say nothing publicly

Funnily enough I bought a very high mileage 986 recently. It was discussed on several forum, the dealer read what was said and did not respond. I have been very happy with the purchase.

zagonda said:
Martian said:
A friend bought a car unseen from RSJ a couple of years ago, it was promised to be perfect in every way. Within two days it was sent back for remedial work and was there for about a week being 'remedied', clutch and water pump IIRC.

Mine had to go back twice to fix " issues" that it should not have left the workshop with. I don't think they are as comprehensively checked as the make out to be....... :?:

Issues that they did resolve, sometimes things can get missed but how many other dealers do we know who wont bother and blame wear and tear...

At the end of the day they have that test drive policy and they are still one if not the most highly rated independent in the UK, they sell more cars than a lot of OPC's and have a lot of happy customers

RSJ are a site sponsor but they are here for a reason, as you wont find a better selection of recommended Porsche's for sale

Hotpot said:
cheshire911 said:
Why do you want to view? They don't allow test drive.
Buy it over the phone, they'll agree a part ex value over phone and email.
Then go down and collect it. It will be as they say, and prepped to high standard.

I couldn't buy a car from them because I cannot buy without a test drive.
But lots of people can, and do.

I haven't ever heard of anyone buying a car without a test drive. Seriously? They don't allow test drive?
Maybe if I was a pop star or a footballer. I can hold a tune but I can't play football for *****. :)

Edit: The question is mute anyway. The dealer has just taken a deposit on it. Damn! Just the colour I was looking for.

Really? I've bought cars (my 997.2 turbo included) and bikes without a test drive/ride. I know exactly what to expect from a vehicle before I've bought it. I can't be arsed to try jeans on either before I buy them but if they don't fit they'll be going back.
I can generally suss out and trust folk before I close a deal. Dunno if I've got a 6th sense but I can smell a dodgy geezer a mile away. I do of course have a good butchers. So far so good.

911UK said:
zagonda said:
Martian said:

Issues that they did resolve, sometimes things can get missed but how many other dealers do we know who wont bother and blame wear and tear...

At the end of the day they have that test drive policy and they are still one if not the most highly rated independent in the UK, they sell more cars than a lot of OPC's and have a lot of happy customers

RSJ are a site sponsor but they are here for a reason, as you wont find a better selection of recommended Porsche's for sale

Couldn't agree more. Bought mine from rsj two years ago and it's been a great car.

I've had both a/c condensers replaced a minor service, tyres and a few mods of my own choice but nothing warranty wise. I also found the whole buying experience very pleasant with it being my first porsche 8) and wouldn't hesitate in buying another from Joel.

HSC911 said:
RSJ are site sponsors or approved traders or whatever.

Why don't the mod's get them to respond to explain why they don't offer test drives and conclude the matter once and for all?
Instead of them getting slagged off and/or people guessing why their position on test drives is what it is :judge:

Morning all
Quite happy to reply.

Quite simply , most people are happy to buy from RSJ without test drives.
I hardly ever get anyone asking to drive one of my cars.
About 50% of my sales are done over the phone and people see the car the first time on the day they collect it.
People trust buying a Porsche from us unseen.
Its been like that for many many years.

Its easy to find 5 , 10 , 20 people on a forum who definitely wouldnt buy a car without test driving it and they are perfectly entitled to have that position but please dont think that everyone feels that way because the truth couldnt be more different.
There are 100's and 100's who dont want to test drive , feel no need to test drive it and some want to save the moment for the day they pick it up.
People buying from us are confident in our preparation and warranty and reputation.

We just don't offer random test drives if someone turns up or phones and says "Can I come and test drive a car or a few cars"
Unfortunately a lot of people just want to have a go and see if they like it or not and some have no intention of buying our car but might buy a car somewhere one day from someone else.

We dont however refuse to do a test drive and we will do a test drive if someone must drive it once before they pay, on the basis that
1 - there is a deal on the table.
2 - the part exchange price is agreed up front.
3- the customer hasnt got 5 other cars to see.
4- our car is the one they want to buy on that day at a price we have agreed.
On that basis I have done many test drives and those people have mostly bought the car.
Its a way of working that works for us for 18 years.

Lastly there is too much risk of someone thrashing our car that they have no intention of buying and creating rev ranges that may make my car unsaleable.
We turn away lots of rev range 4 , 5 and 6 cars so I wouldnt want to end up with one that I bought, sitting in my showroom, especially when we are covering the engine in house out of our own pocket.

Maybe we miss a few sales here and there (but you can only sell each car once) however I am very comfortable with our policy and we have sold 1000's of Porsche cars so far in 18 years so it must work well.

The important thing is buying a car from a dealer with lengthy expertise in the brand with a good warranty ,that hasnt been crashed ,has a full service history and has everything fixed on the day you buy it.
You will be enjoying test driving it everyday for the next 2 years.

The ownership of a Porsche improves each time you drive it , its nothing amazing on the first 10 min test drive crawling through traffic in Slough , road works everywhere, looking out for speed cameras hiding behind every bush.

Enjoy your Porsche's and thanks to all our customers past ,present and future.

Joel

PS. All cars in our showroom are completely unprepped for the last 2 to 3 years as we just stock too many cars now to prep them as we buy them like we did for the previous 15 years so if you find the odd oil leak or wheel scraped or bumper needing painting or leather bolster worn , it all gets done at the point of sale and contract.
Its just physically impossible to prep 50 cars and put them in the showroom at the point of purchase. When we had 20 to 30 it was easy.
We do however always have at least one fully prepped car to show what the finished article will look like.
PPS . PSE swops not available since March 2011 , 5 years ago.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back