Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RS steering wheel install ..... Airbag light problem

wozy

Sao Paulo
The fella who does bits and pieces on my 993 installed my RS steering wheel for me just before Christmas.

I supplied all the parts which included the £30.00 Bag resistor that I bought from Type911. I was informed at the time of ordering this would work on my 993 and disable the light (I now see that on their website it no longers says what it once did ref the 993).

Anyway, wheel fitted, airbag resistor fitted, re-connect battery, switch ignition on and of course the damn light didnt go out.

So then we installed the correct OHM resistor which was £0.40 from Maplans (Though a 40 mile round trip to buy) which I should have done in the first place. :wack:

Switch ignition on ..... and the airbag light is still on. The problem now seems to be that becasue we had already cocked up and set the airbag light off we can now not cancel it even though we have fitted the correct (I think 2.7) OHMs resistor and me old mate the installer thinks the only thing that can be is that the car needs to be plugged into a computer thingy and the light reset...... Something we have no chance of getting our hands on I'm assuming. :frustrated:

So my question is, can the airbag light be reset on a very early 993 and do you think the info I've been given is correct? Or is there a simpler way that we are missing.

You need to reset the fault code in the airbag control unit in order to extinguish the warning light. This requires a Porsche-compatible OBD diagnostic tool. All Porsche shops should have this, but I expect them to charge for a diag session.
There is also a freeware tool for use with Windws PC's, the Rennlist Scantool software. You will need a compatible cable for this, as the T-OBD or a self made serial adapter. The latter will require some electronics skills.
Cheers,
Tore

ToreB said:
You need to reset the fault code in the airbag control unit in order to extinguish the warning light. This requires a Porsche-compatible OBD diagnostic tool. All Porsche shops should have this, but I expect them to charge for a diag session.
There is also a freeware tool for use with Windws PC's, the Rennlist Scantool software. You will need a compatible cable for this, as the T-OBD or a self made serial adapter. The latter will require some electronics skills.
Cheers,
Tore

Cheers Tore. She's in for a service next month and I'll get them to sort it then. :thumbs:

Jumping on the thread while Tore in in the house, I had a similar issue several years ago when I did my RS wheel install but never managed to solve the airbag light. I fitted the resistor, attempted an airbag reset with the T-OBD kit but it wasn't having it. I trawled the forums for info and tried several values of resistor to no avail. It went into my indy for some other work and they attempted to reset with the Porsche tool but still no joy. I pulled the bulb in the end and now reset the (!) button before each drive. Is there anything I'm missing, or may have screwed up when I did the install? :?

Gaity, did you read out the fault code number with your diag tool? Which number? Did you manage to reset the fault code?

The Rennlist Scantool freeware has problems with some late 993 air bag modules, they are the same as in the 996 and the software does not support this.
Cheers,
Tore

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back