Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 Steering wheel upgrade

shatnersbassoon

I'd like to change the steering wheel in my 2012 991.1 to one of the newer 991.2 (or I guess other models) wheels.
The car is manual so no paddles, and not multi-function or heated. The simplest scenario hopefully!

Am I right in thinking it should be a fairly simple swap, just the new wheel and the correct airbag? I guess the only electrical connectors to worry about are for the airbag, so there wouldn't need to be any adaptors.
Has anyone else done the same?

I've done a wheel swap to 991.2 on my old 991.1 Targa albeit with paddles and multifunction but you are right, your swap with the non button wheel set up should be straight forward. The new type airbag will connect the same as your original one. Add to basket !

you will need this https://gpsadapter.us/ It's a pretty straight forward job, not too technical at all. The install instructions are sent once you buy a module from gpsadapter

you will need this https://gpsadapter.us/ It's a pretty straight forward job, not too technical at all. The install instructions are sent once you buy a module from gpsadapter
Mine has no multi-function(unfortunately) or heating though, so I guess I wouldn't need any adaptor?
Just the airbag connectors.

Thanks all.

Stupid question perhaps, but most of the wheels I've seen on eBay have been for PDK.
Do you know if a PDK wheel is compatible with a manual car. ie, can the paddles just be taken off?

Last question...probably!
Looking at a few wheels from different Porsche models on eBay, I see there's a couple of different connectors on the wheels, a yellow and an orange one.
Is my best bet to just get whichever wheel and re-use the wiring from my current wheel? I've not taken mine off yet to have a look at the connector.

The required harness should come with whichever wheel you buy. I think the connector is the same for 997 and 991 models

Ah, the one I saw was for a Macan, so I guess that would account for the different connector.
I was hoping they'd share the same connector to give me a few more wheel options, but I guess not.

Thanks

someone fitted a macan sourced wheel to a 911,
it's the same wheel (y)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back