Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ross' 996 turbo

Great thread!

Re the mappping, there's a guy in the states that's very well regarded that will do it remotely, look up DJ Markski. If you join the 996 Turbo FB group he's got a lot of satisfied customers on there, both sides of the Atlantic.

Failing that i've heard very good things about Chip Wizards and obviously 9e.

plynchy said:
Great thread!

Re the mappping, there's a guy in the states that's very well regarded that will do it remotely, look up DJ Markski. If you join the 996 Turbo FB group he's got a lot of satisfied customers on there, both sides of the Atlantic.

Failing that i've heard very good things about Chip Wizards and obviously 9e.

I did see the thread on DJ Markski, its definitely an option id consider especially the rave reviews he was getting on there.

Cheers for all the mapping leads guys, ill check them all out. Just patiently waiting the return of my turbos

Some great work there. A really similar story to me. I ended buying new Turbo's for mine with a view to getting the old ones refurbed at some time.

I also had a compressor housing in two pieces. Has your man sourced a new one?

I replaced all the oil lines and shields whilst it was apart. Will be interested to hear what you think of the Design Tek exhaust.

Rosselder83 said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement, much appreciated!

Creationblue said:
Those billets will make a potential difference, are you getting a map?

Yes I'm hoping, from what I hear a good map transforms the car to what it should have been. As for who the map will come from, I'm unsure. I'm up in Scotland so I'm open to suggestions

I would recommend unicorn motor Developmets in Stockport. Rick there has tuned my 996 turbo and it's running in excess of 800hp. He's an absolute genius and can do some really clever stuff with the stock ecu, including multiple maps switchable, launch control and flat shifting etc. As far as I know he's the only guy that can offer this. Which shows his knowledge and ability.

Excellent thread. I did similar with my Mini Cooper S last year, its very rewarding stripping a car down and making it new again. For some reason however I let my local Indi do all the work on my 997! :dont know:

Excellent thread - will look forward to what happens next!

Big turning point today, my turbo chap sent me the picture I've been waiting for. Says I'll have them back early next week. I can't believe the job he's done.

Attachments

• 187281ac_7b88_4a64_b4e6_331b5e5a874b_127.jpeg
    187281ac_7b88_4a64_b4e6_331b5e5a874b_127.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3,855
They look great, looking forward to seeing them fitted :thumb:

Been slowly chipping away at this.

First of all i invested in a set of quick jacks, probably essential in Porsche ownership, wish id bought some years ago

Porsche stuff by Ross Elder, on Flickr

Id decided to tidy up the garage a bit, paint some walls, fit new shelves, lay a floor which was all going fine till COVID-19 picked up pace. I was left with a fair mess in the garage but some tidy new shelves and fresh walls

Managed to get stuff back on shelves and get back at the car. First up (thanks to posts on this forum) was fitting new bearings into the idler pulleys. All for the princely sum of £27.

The pressing was fine, getting the pulleys out was painful. I ended up just dropping the whole cradle out and lowering the engine as far as it would go. Madness! Fitted a new Alternator belt once all the pulleys were back on and tightened up

Then i fitted new 997 coil packs, new plugs and new coil pack heatsheilds

Then my turbos finally arrived, ive been so busy with work id left them to quarantine for a couple of days then cracked them out and stuck them on the shelf. A marked difference to what i sent off.

Then it was time for test fitting to see if everything still lined up ok as the chap basically rebuilt these blind due to condition.

With all being well, i blasted the sumps with compressed air to make sure they were clean, fitted new o-rings and bolted them up, then i could bolt the turbos to the car and set about making lines.

Started off by cutting the OEM line back to give me some room

Then fitted the hardline to AN adapter

Then made an insanely short line covered with heatproof sheath

And a test fit, nice!

Same again on the other side

While i was in there today i thought id test fit my new exhaust, hope it sounds as good as it looks

Getting there.

Nice :thumb:

Progress is happening

All the AN oil lines have been made, fitted and covered in heat proof sheathing. Very happy with how all this turned out.

Untitled by Ross Elder, on Flickr

Turbos are on and bolted up, exhaust fitted with new gaskets and nuts.

Had to buy all 4 new O2 sensors as the ones in the OEM exhaust were not for coming out. New heatsheilds too, starting to look proper.

Got all excited at the weekend as i was going to prime it up, check for leaks and ideally fire up the car.

I pulled fuse C4 to stop the fuel pump then connected the battery back up and everything came alive. The key was at ingnition live (to stop the alarm going wild) so turned it off and all was well. Turned the key to ignition live again and the key went lose and just started spinning.

So im now on the hunt for a new steering lock housing. I swear this car hates me but im stubborn. At least i got the barrel out with thatnks to DeMort and ministig

Impressive and inspiring! You must be eager to take her out for a spin :mrgreen:

Rosselder83 said:
... used the parts washer that she sometimes puts dishes in

2387AC7B-C823-48A1-AC1D-675346367F0F.thumb.jpeg.511d50f7fa82cc7599c3a767c7160bb2.jpeg

My hero!

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back