Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing the Sat Nat Console with something more modern

FZP said:
resigner said:
I have this, a Pioneer SPH DA120, in mine.
You Sir, have excellent taste in music.

I would agree if it was Teardrop from the Mezzanine album.

Les said:
FZP said:
resigner said:
You Sir, have excellent taste in music.

I would agree if it was Teardrop from the Mezzanine album.

I saw them live on the steps of the Sydney Opera House on a beautiful summers night. One to remember

911DG said:
That would be great - thanks Nikos. I'll probably get someone to fit it as I'm useless with that kinda stuff but looks like just what I need !
911DG it really is a breeze to install, you need to get the Motorola to Fakra adapter, on the 997.1 the accessory power wire is white, so just tap into that & you're done!

nikos525 said:
911DG said:
That would be great - thanks Nikos. I'll probably get someone to fit it as I'm useless with that kinda stuff but looks like just what I need !
911DG it really is a breeze to install, you need to get the Motorola to Fakra adapter, on the 997.1 the accessory power wire is white, so just tap into that & you're done!

Sorry for jumping in, does the Motorola to Fakra adapter not come with the Tranzsit device when you buy it?

Dexterich said:
resigner said:

20160222_143853_1.jpg

It's probably been replaced in the model line up but works very well, looks great and can still be brought new. It has Apple Carplay, and Mirrorlink for Android, so you can link your phone to it and use lots of apps on it instead of on your phone. Personally, I still use my phone without connecting it.

If you have steering wheel controls you will need a lead to make it all work, and same goes for Bose, those are about another £250. All in, I was about £550 fitted, but the unit was on sale and Halfords did free fitting at the time, which they don't do anymore. Now, PCM2.1 can be sold for about £350 to £400 so overall, it isn't expensive to do. There are other units which will include a Sat Nav built in, but for me, you can't beat Google Navigation or Waze.

I would say, get someone to fit unless you are practiced at that sort of thing. It isn't simple, there are all sorts of things which need correcting right, like the amp powers up based on a connection to the electric aerial switch, which the extra leads don't connect, but can be done.

My unit gives me 2 USB connections (in the glovebox) which I use to connect my Ipod and the other to charge my phone. Then it has bluetooth and phone connection built in, so overall does everything you need.

Hi Resigner, I am getting this fitted next week, just to be clear google and waze maps dont work on the screen (apple carplay only allows apple maps) - unless your iphone is jailbroken of course!

Being an andriod user and hating apple products in general I wouldn't even know what jailbroken is! For this very reason, apple forcing you to use apple maps, which is shite from what I hear.....

apollokre1d said:
nikos525 said:
911DG said:

Sorry for jumping in, does the Motorola to Fakra adapter not come with the Tranzsit device when you buy it?

apollokre1d I think I remember paying extra for the adapter, just something to check to make sure of just in case it's not included.

nikos525 said:
apollokre1d said:
nikos525 said:

apollokre1d I think I remember paying extra for the adapter, just something to check to make sure of just in case it's not included.

Thanks Nikos, do you have a link to the adapter just encase?

StephenS1 said:
Nastymatt said:
One thing to consider (if you are an iPhone owner) is that CarPlay Wifi enabled head units are on the horizon - so no connecting via crappy Bluetooth you connect via wifi which has a high data rate etc

The Alpine iL-107 has been close to release for some time and I intend to swap my head unit once released.

My fitter told me that Alpine UK have told him that it is three to four months away - I assume to coincide with the launch of the new iPhones.

I'm hanging on too. The Alpine 700 is the cleanest looking, non-aftermarket looking device I've seen.

The Alpine ilx-107 has been released in the US! Waiting now.. like a coiled cobra (who wants a new head unit for his car).

Here is the iSimple with the required adaptors (hopefully!).

Despite multiple edits I can't seem to link straight to this! If you google 'Amazon iSimple fakra' it's fairly easy to find. It's also on eBay from the same guy but dearer.

Just ordered tonight along with an updated SatNav CD and the software upgrades from http://www.satnavdvd.co.uk/

Both bargains in the Porsche scheme of things.

Cheers,

Phil

I , too, am looking at changing my head unit in our 2006 C4S - ( non Bose).
As an iPhone user I am leaning towards Apple CarPlay & I use BT in my other cars.
The Alpine unit does not have a BT module - so what are others using as a Head Unit?
Needs to be in keeping & not look like a disco. If I can keep as much functionality of the existing Porsche bits ( i.e Chrono) that would be good.
As regards Sat Nav either in the unit OR was thinking of Apple maps. Rarely do I need Sat Nav but in my daily driver ( Audi) the traffic updates are really good for my purposes.
TIA

Guy

resigner said:
Ahh, that was older pic when the surround was the wrong colour, now corrected :)

20160720_161932.jpg

Hi all, sorry for the hijack but is it just me or do you all get the above photobucket image and no pics? I am on my i-pad - is this the issue, do I need to change something?

Dexterich said:
resigner said:
Ahh, that was older pic when the surround was the wrong colour, now corrected :)

20160720_161932.jpg

Hi all, sorry for the hijack but is it just me or do you all get the above photobucket image and no pics? I am on my i-pad - is this the issue, do I need to change something?

Your iPad is fine. The picture is Photobucket's rip off ploy where you can't post photos anymore unless you subscribe ($399 I kid you not). Anyone who isn't a subscriber will see this replace their posted photos in due course.

Nastymatt said:
StephenS1 said:
Nastymatt said:
One thing to consider (if you are an iPhone owner) is that CarPlay Wifi enabled head units are on the horizon - so no connecting via crappy Bluetooth you connect via wifi which has a high data rate etc

The Alpine iL-107 has been close to release for some time and I intend to swap my head unit once released.

My fitter told me that Alpine UK have told him that it is three to four months away - I assume to coincide with the launch of the new iPhones.

I'm hanging on too. The Alpine 700 is the cleanest looking, non-aftermarket looking device I've seen.

The Alpine ilx-107 has been released in the US! Waiting now.. like a coiled cobra (who wants a new head unit for his car).

Doesn't look like Alpine are releasing that unit in the UK :sad: I am still holding out for a unit with wifi and I am also thinking I will not add a usb port but a wireless charging pad integrated in the cubby hole. So I can chuck the phone in the cubby hole and it will wifi connect and charge.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back