Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

removing rear side windows to replace seals

paul_mck

Montreal
Hi all, Id like to replace the seals that go around the rear windows (and along the top of the front window) as Im getting the car painted and I want the seals out to do it. Its been painted before and the seals were taped but there is some damage/overspray and I want them perfect.

Is it handy to replace them? Im assuming the window glass needs removed and I think the seals are riveted in?

Any info appreciated cheers

The paint shop took mine out when they painted my car and fitted new ones when they re-installed them.
I'd recommend to get yours to do the same as they're used to doing stuff like that.

They are riveted in as you mention, so its a case of removing the interior and drilling out. One mistake that is made when drilling the rivet out is letting the inner part of the rivet drop down between the body panels and causing a lump in the bodywork after a few years. The rivet sits in the lowest recess and as the body flexes the rivet pushes out a lump.

Just make sure whoever does it gets all the drilled out ends from where they dropped.

Agree that the bodyshop would be best placed to take the seals out when they remove the glass, make sue you tell them to recover the rivet heads when thy drill them out, if they don't ..expect them to get wedged between the inner and outer panels and start to poke outwards at some point! Quite a common problem and happened with mine.

Picking my car up from the bodyshop on Friday after a full glass out respray, one of the first things I will do is check they have recovered the rivets!

Offending rivet head!
IMG-20210411-182455.jpg

Shiiiiiit. I've noticed a small, pointy lump forming on my rear drivers side wheel arch, must be one of these rivets! How'm I gonna retrieve that? Then I guess it's a body shop to sort the offending lump?

matt997s said:
Shiiiiiit. I've noticed a small, pointy lump forming on my rear drivers side wheel arch, must be one of these rivets! How'm I gonna retrieve that? Then I guess it's a body shop to sort the offending lump?

You need to remove the rear interior side panel to get access, to make it easy I'd buy a cheap endoscope from eBay to locate the rivets, I got mine out using a thin bladed kitchen knife underneath the wedged in rivet and levered it out, retrieving it with the magnetic attachment that comes withe the endoscope.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=145136

Right, I'm on it this weekend. Thanks

DucatiRob said:
matt997s said:

You need to remove the rear interior side panel to get access, to make it easy I'd buy a cheap endoscope from eBay to locate the rivets, I got mine out using a thin bladed kitchen knife underneath the wedged in rivet and levered it out, retrieving it with the magnetic attachment that comes withe the endoscope.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=145136

dent guy could maybe knock the bulge back without needing a bodyshop

I had my 997 repainted a few months ago and the body shop removed the glass.

It was not a cheap excercise and even the "glass" man found it a pig of a job but it had to be done.

Check how much they are going to charge you, I think it added £180 to the price of the paint job.

paul_mck said:
dent guy could maybe knock the bulge back without needing a bodyshop

This might be possible if you catch it early, just as it's starting to push out and the paint isn't split, but it tends to to be quite a pointy dent, so some paint correction will probably be needed!

Darn it. Sometimes, I wish I never read these forum posts. I've noticed these tiny pointed dents on my rear arches too, but they only formed part way during my 8 year ownership and I've never had the rear arches painted or those windows removed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back