Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Question for Robertb (Amongst others)

Simon W

Barcelona
Given you've now owned your C4S for a while and you previously owned a nice 993, would you go back to 993 ownership over the 996? I've no doubt the 996 is a more competent car, but being close to the point at which I'm either going to re-buy a mint 993 S or a 996 C4S, I am beginning to feel torn. It was going to be a 996 C4S, but when I see a 993 with it's quirky hard-to-use interior and that superb clunk of the doors closing, I just want to be back in the 993. I'll be using the car daily BTW.

Opinion on your own experience (and others that have found themselves in a similar position) appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126461

Can't talk about a 996C4S, but I did go from a mint 993 (OceanCarrera) to the 996GT3 (PolarExpress).

I've thought about what my next car might be, and although the 993 was quite special, the 996 really is a superior Porsche/911 in every way except looks (perhaps :? ) and perceived quality (the 993 just uses more robust materials, although it is no more reliable than a 996). If I wanted the old-style-Porsche experience, there are plenty of other older-than-the-993 Porsches which capture even more of the old-style *magic*.

All imho.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126469

Hi Simon...

I do miss the aircooled sound, the hewn-from-granite interior of the 993, and the 993 had a classic character that the 996 does not have, much of which is down to the quirkyness of the interior, and the 'alive' feel the car has when snuffling down a favourite road.

However, my Targa was defo not rattle free, so all in all the 996 feels far more of a piece, but I've not driven a 993 Coupe to give a fair comparison.

The 996 has a character all of its own, especially with the PSE fitted. The C4S is a simply astonishing car to punt hard down a favourite road- it is unbelieveably composed, effortless overtaking grunt, and the steering feels better to me than the 993. It is also very assured in poor conditions in a way the 993 was not, all this whilst still being involving even at low speeds in a way that modern cars tend not to be.

The 996 works beautifully- climate control, easy to use controls, wipers that wipe. Makes it a superb daily driver for the sort of miles I'm doing in it. It does sometimes feel "everyday car" though compared to the 993 which did have something special, perhaps because they're a bit odd in some respects.

I personally love the styling of the 996C4S, but the 993 looks great too, especially an S.

All that said, the 996 is a better car than the 993 in every measurable respect. HOWEVER. If I could have a Porsche tucked in the garage for special occasions, or even if I did a shorter commute (say 15 miles each way over nice roads), I'd still own a 993 over a 996.

This probably isn't helping you!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126473

Thanks to you both for excellent replies. It's interesting that you say the 996 is as reliable as the 993. Perhaps it's my own misconception, but I still think of the 993 as kinda bulletproof wheras my impression (perhaps unfairly) of the 996 is that it's has a tendency to be a little bit flakey.

The fact that you both say the 996 is superior in pretty much every measurable way does help. I'll be commuting from London to Herts and back daily and will be taking my son to nursery in it as well so the better comfort, safety and driveability of the 996 does appeal.

Clearly both the GT3 and the 4S are fantastic bits of kit. Now the kidney blow - what do y ou think prices will be like in 12 months? A £42k C4s this time next year will be...............answers on a posstcard.........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126479

£38k? At least a used 996C4S will be on a very gradual depreciation curve. The 993 is not immune to depreciation - the past 6-9 months saw mainstream 993 residuals fall from their once imperious plateau.

Wrt to quality, the Japanese cars show the way in terms of reliability and engineering quality. Although made of Airfix plastic, they remain the most reliable. Being made from a hulking hunk of billet steel doesn't always equal reliability. Porsche learned from the Japanese manufacturing process, methods, etc when they made the radical change from the 993 to 996. I run an 8 year old Honda as my daily hack, and it's fantastic. Apart from the usual servicing, it's the Casio of cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126483

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 21 March 2007

it's the Casio of cars.

:D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126489

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Will G-J on 21 March 2007

Previous poster said:

it's the Casio of cars.

That sounds like something Alan Partridge would say !

"Lexus - its the Japanese Mercedes"

:D :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126491

My guess is that an excellent 993 C4S will hold its value better than a 996C4S.

The post '01 cars do feel better quality inside than the earlier ones IMO. Perception of quality comes from the smallest details- the feel of the door handle and the way the door 'clunks' to in the 993 feels better than the handle on the 996 (this is very important- what car designers refer to as the 'handshake') and the way the window drops down and then whirs up again- it is a less fluid motion. The 993 of course has the classic dials which I miss (and I can't believe they did not fit an oil temp in the 996). But beyond that, the 996s feel good, and still quirky compared to other cars.

The 996 (esp the 4S) has a very chunky feel, partly because of the exterior styling.

Oddly, Mrs B said the 996 felt much more solid, but then she isn't biased by silly details!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126492

The handshake - I like that.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126495

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Simon W on 21 March 2007

The fact that you both say the 996 is superior in pretty much every measurable way does help. I'll be commuting from London to Herts and back daily and will be taking my son to nursery in it as well so the better comfort, safety and driveability of the 996 does appeal.
You need to ask yourself also what a high mileage car will be worth in a few years doing that mileage ??

High mile 993 C4S -v's - 996 C4S ?

I found it hard to leave the 993 fold, had a nice C4 followed by an ok C2, I think I have out grown the 993, love the looks (one of the best 911's).

Just hope the 996 (GT3) is like a newer 993 ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126515

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel on 21 March 2007

No

better :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126518

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel on 21 March 2007

No

better :wink:
I will hold you to that !! 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126519

only if it's a Mk1 :wink: :twisted:

<sorrycouldn'tresist>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126527

A silver one ? Could be !

(Back to the topic)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126528

I've had a 993 C4 and now a 996 C4 as daily drivers (15-20k per annum) and would definitely choose a 996 if I was in your position now, for all of the following reasons:

Sat nav / hands-free phone

Air-con that works

Faster / handles better

PSM (stability management)

Warranty still possible (less than 9 years old)

Much better interior all round (best ones are with full leather if pre-facelift, as the plastics don't wear well)

993s are IMHO currently hideously overpriced and will drop sharply at some point when people realise they cost more to maintain than a 996 (and air-cooled isn't clever stuck in traffic in 'globally-warmed' temperatures!)

Early 996 prices are at rock bottom and are brilliant value for money (usually cheaper than 2-3 year older equivalent mileage 993s)

I wouldn't go back to a 993 as an alternative to a 996/997 under any circumstances (but might get one AS WELL for occasional use if my numbers come up tonight). Actually - no, even if my numbers came up I'd have a GT3 and a much older classic 911 for weekends...)

Hope that helps...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126544

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back