Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Preserving patina...???

Luddite

Indianapolis
Watching this PCA vid reminded me of the corrosion on my first Porsche, a 912..fortunately mine was not just as bad as this 356.

My 912 was another "nuts or what situation," but I was younger then.. (-:

If you have any interest in restoration you might find interest in this.. there are quite a few stories on this link but if you beam in at about 30:30 you will arrive at the patina preservation priority Porsche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAlkw3NMRU

So Luddite, is it patina (pa·tuh·nuh, UK) or patina (pa-teee-ner, US)??

Either way (or is it either way?) I've got some good stuff, a bit of Finnish stone chippage on the front bumper cover and bonnet (hood) and the rear arches, some trackwork rubber smears (actually they do come off but), a couple of dings (or are they dents?) from the children's bloody bicycles, a badly touched up scratch from the motorsport shop on the rear, a slightly cracked and chipped windscreen, and a dented number plate (registration, tags), not to forget the piece-de-resistance, a bit of odd paint damage from persistent feral tom cat spray (or the strongest piss known to man) on the front bumper cover, from our time in Dubai.

:grin:

MaxA, my 991 looks close to being as new, despite it`s nearly 45K miles, it has had multiple owners over the almost ten years since it was first registered. I have put about 3k miles on it in my 10 months of ownership, thus it must be worth less than if it had acquired any Patina..? Though on second thoughts it does have..err..patinated exhaust fixings..!

BTW in the word patina, the IN pronounced in Scottish as IN being the opposite of out...(-:

My old sports car is alloy bodied and has a ding on the rear panel from a falling brick which has been there for about 18 years or so, it also is showing a few other signs of use, so much so that it is not quite in the concours trophy awarded condition it was when I bought it some 20 years ago, call it patina if you will, and if so that must make it worth more..(-:

Enjoying my sports cars has ever been my passion, even though they were ever old and in need of attention in times past.

I have no standards that I think all others should follow relative to the way they might enjoy their Porsches old or new, other than if they are ICE propelled and you enjoy driving them, perhaps best to do so and acquiring a degree of patina while we still can, but being an old guy, I suppose I have different priorities... :eek:ld: :wink:

If there is any interest in rough restoration techniques I used to nail my old 912back together and drag it through an MOT, way back when.. You could beam up

911uk.com - Porsche Forum : View topic - Newbie here but with previous Porsche history.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back